Paris Rive Gauche Hotel And Conference Center

17 Boulevard Saint Jacques (formerly Sofitel Forum Rive Gauche), Paris, Ile-de-France 75014, France

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Comfortable Accomodations

OK, maybe this is not a place where Rick Steves would stay, but with the business travel I have done over the years the 4 nights here costs me $0 with all the points I had. Even without points I read enough other reviews on travel websites which made this Marriott an enjoyable place to stay. The room was more then adequate with a very comfortable king size bed and a table where we could lay out all our maps, brochures, etc and get organized each day. We stayed on the 14th floor (really 13th, but you know those superstitious hotel people) and had a nice view of Paris. Couldn't see the Eiffel Tower as that other tall building got in the way, but such is life.

We didn't really use any of the services in the hotel other then room service, but both check in and check out were very pleasant and handled very quickly. The bar area looked nice, but we are not bar people, so we didn't indulge.

Unique Quality: Other factors into picking this hotel besides the freebie. It was situated between 2 metro stops which were both within 5 minutes of the hotel (one slightly downhill and one slightly uphill). So, in the morning you could walk down to one stop and in the evening get off at the other stop and walk down again. Hotel is in a nice residential area with a large hospital behind the complex. You can also walk from the Denfert Rochereau RER station which we did when we arrived from Gare du Nord and took the RER B.

Directions: 14th District by Saint Jacques Metro Stop

• renovated and seriously upgraded

this is now a marriot and really worth the price. i stayed here many times when it was a sofitel and it was "ok". the neighbourhood is not fancy but it is convenient to everything. Now, the hotel is a great deal. breakfast is a fair price for paris and a great spread! the rooms are renovated and while still small, are beautiful. and the staffa re super, from the front desk to the maids. great great value for the money!The bed was to die for.

Unique Quality: price was per room. we had a king size bed (a super luxerious one) and paid somewhere around $150 which is fantastic for paris, not to mention a 4 star. (prices might currently be a little special because they are still renovating, but the noise was during the afternoon only and not bothersome to me.)

Directions: Just off the Denfort-Rochereau metro and RER stop. Near jardin de Luxembourg. Super conveneint on public transprt to everything, including a stright shot to both airports and gare du nord.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

All stars are not created equally

The only redeeming quality of this "4Star" hotel was its close proximity to the Metro. The rooms were dingey, cramped, and outdated. No better than a 2 star motel in the states. I specifically did not pack a blow dryer because it was stated as one of its "ammenities"....I found a hose attached to a wall that blew hot air when a button was pushed and then became too hot to hold. A terrible invention. The experience was not at all worth spending $169 a night and certainly lacking in charm.

Directions: Line 6 of the Metro - Exit St Jacques, only about 200 yards.

• Convenient

Pleasent Hotel with Helpful Staffs..Very new to the metro,room's are rather stuck in the art deco era of the 70's ,if you like beauty in diversity...there you go...

Unique Quality: Located in the heart of the city,accesible tourist spots..helpful hotel crew

More about Paris Rive Gauche Hotel And Conference Center

Good Priceline value in Paris. Clean & Comfortable

We got this 4 star hotel for $125 USD with Priceline which is a GREAT value for Paris during Spring with temperatures in the 70s (city is beautiful this time of year). Rooms are above average size for European standards (in particular the bathrooms). THe hotel is closest to Glaciere metro station which is a direct link to the Champs Elysee if you plan on doing some serious shopping. Highly recommend the Italian restaurant few doors down f/the hotel. Also, 2 blocks f/the hotel is a grocery store where you can buy foods & drinks - highly recommended if traveling on a budget. Again, great value for being able to name your price.

Room OK... Attitude So so

I got a good rate at this Sofitel for a Deluxe room, however the room was next to the elevator and very noisy. Called the front desk early but they did not seem willing to move us at that point, only offered on the 2nd call which was late at night once we had already settled in. Other than that, room was a bit outdated but the bathroom was very nice. Great location for the ORLYBus. Close to 2 metro stations on line 6.

Awful

by TripAdvisor Member Unforgettable

I really wanted to like this hotel. Location and access to transportation were great. However, the hotel appeared run-down. It felt like an old cruise ship! Sterile. The walls were marked up. The bed was very comfortable and the room was a nice size for Paris. The staff was awful. I called for an iron and an extra pillow at 10 pm and was told to call back in an hour. When I called back 53 minutes later, housekeeping was closed for the night. I had to call again in the morning, no one had record of my first call. Called again that night still waiting for an extra pillow. Asked the concierge about transportation to Versaille and were offered an expensive tour, only later learned transportation to Versaille was available by the Paris metro. Could have saved $50 a person! The concierge really did not care to help-she provided limited advice. We found local restaurants on our own.

Fortunately we enjoyed so much of Paris we did not need to spend much time in the hotel!

Handy location - reasonable price

We originally booked here for one at the full price prior to joining a tour. Upon arrival the staff were reasonable but not too interested in information which did not concern the hotel. When asked on a recommended place to dine we were just pointed to the left of the hotel and told 20 minutes walk that way.
Room was clean, tidy and sufficiently furnished but we requested a double bed and got two singles. The view, however, was excellent. Due to the convenience and good location we booked a furhter night via internet and saved heaps making the price quite good for Paris. We requested a room with a double which caused the staff some problems for some reason. We managed to obtain this and then ended up with a different view - this time of cooling towers for the airconditioning system (not very enchanting).
It's proximity to the metro/city and general cleanliness/convenience made it good value for money at the DISCOUNTED price. Full fare is not good value and if this fare is all that is available - search elsewhere.

Les Miserable Nites

Why this property continues to be listed as a 4 star hotel is beyond me. The room was shockingly void of any thing one might expect of a hotel with a 4 Star billing. Instead this Sofitel provided us a squeaky uneven bed finished with worn sheets of sandpaper. A bathroom flooded with fluorescent lighting and dime store amenities. Expert friendly service? Not behind the concierge desk! Ms. K ( A Gold Key Member) was antagonistic and extremely rude. Was she just having an off day on my first visit to her desk? My goodness we all have days like that. So, I remained hopeful that she had recovered to the point that she might actually take pride in providing service to a guest. The long and the short of it is Ms K's bad attitude was even worse on my next and final visit. I do hope the Sofitel management addresses the problems described here and in other reviews of this property. I would hate to dismiss the entire Sofitel brand because of my experience in this hotel.

Latin Quarter

by S2000Lee

We are staying 3 nights at the Marriott Rive Gauche which I know is a little out of the way to walk to everything. We have planned our days using the Metro, but in the evening is it possible to walk to the Latin Quarter and take in some Parisian atmosphere along the way? Any recommendation for bars/restaurants would be great too, for a couple in their mid 40's and should we book ahead (going next week 25th-28th) although our Friday evening will be spent on the Bateaux Parisienne.

by riorich55

First, the Marriott Rive Gauche is a really nice place to stay. We were there for 4 nights last October. You can walk to one of two Metro stations within 3 to 4 minutes. On our first night we actually walked back to the hotel from the Latin Quarter taking in sites and scenes along the way. The closer we got to the hotel the quieter it got, it was almost like we had Paris to ourselves.

My recommendation for a really good meal in a romantic setting would be Au Vieux Paris. We had dinner here on our first night before we walked back to the hotel. It is located only about 1 block away from the Cathedral of Notre Dame, but on an off side street. We shared a room that night with 2 Parisian gentlemen who were very interested in, at that time, our upcoming Presidential election. Our wait staff was also very congenial and complimented us on our French, even though we only knew a few words from a English/French book. You can check out my pictures and meal review on my VT Paris page which will also link you to a video of the restaurant done a few years ago.

Enjoy!!

by S2000Lee

Thank you both so much for your replies!

by riorich55

And if you get tired on your way back there is a Metro on Raspail.

Comments