Pavillon De La Reine

Travelocity Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 88% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

Incredibly Beautiful

An incredibly beautiful hotel on the most beautiful square in Paris, Place des Vosges. Secluded, romantic, and (of course) expensive-- about € 360 for a basic room. But for that romantic escape, it is hard to beat!

Check the web site for special deals; one package offers gets you a superior room and breakfast; for € 330 you get a room, a boat ride on the Seine, and a bottle of Chardonnay.

Unique Quality: Place des Vosges is the oldest square in Paris, dating from 1605. The square has a rich history and some famous former occupants, including Richelieu ( at # 21), Madame de Sevigné (1 bis), and Victor Hugo (at # 6, now a museum).

Directions: In the Marais-- Métro: St. Paul, Chemin Vert, or Bastille. Superb location for visiting central sites of the city.

More about Pavillon De La Reine

Pavillon de la Reine is a wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mewsic

I stayed at Pavillon de la Reine for 4 nights in May 2006, primarily because of the positive reviews of the hotel I had seen in Trip Advisor. The reviews were right! This is a lovely hotel, with great service, and a near-perfect mix of old charm and modern convenience. The bathroom was modern, the lighting in the room was unusually good (table lamps plus halogen lights sunk into the beamed ceilings). While the hotel has no restaurant, there is 24-hour room service. The location—in one of the classic buildings surrounding the Place des Voges—could not have been better. Five-seven minute walk to two Metro lines, in the heart of the Marais. The guests are demanding, which means the helpful and efficient front desk staff are always busy. I knew this was going to be a great place to say a couple of seconds after the taxi dropped me off. I was lugging my bags from the street through the glass doors leading into the lovely courtyard entrance and one of the staff came running out to take my bags from me into the hotel. When was the last time you saw someone running to help you in Paris?
The only downsides I experienced were 1) There’s no access to high-speed internet, and the hotel’s single public computer was always in use; and 2) the front desk was less than enthusiastic when I emailed them prior to my stay askign them to make restaurant reservations for a single person. I know it can be done, because I’ve done it before. I called the restaurants myself, so that was only a minor inconvenience.

One of the must see in Paris

by Imbi

Chateau de Versailles
Originally a hunting lodge, respecting the wishes of Louis XIV and his architect Louis Le Vau, the Chateau de Versailles became the official residence of the kings of France as of 1682. Under constant renovations during the reign of Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI, the building is a mixture of different architectural styles that blend together quite well. If the Galerie des Glaces or the Chambre du Roi are the two most popular rooms, the gardens (which are free), the Pavillon de la Reine or the Orangerie are also well worth a visit.

The art of symetry

by mariev

Maybe the oldest 'place' (square) in Paris (at least the oldest unchanged since its conception) and one of the less green.

It was built on the former Place des Tourelles (a duelling area) under Henri IV.
The place is nearly squarish - a bit over 100 meters per side, and all the buildings are similar in composition (bricks and stones, slate roofs) and height except the Pavillon du Roi and the Pavillon de la Reine who are higher (and have arches leading outside the place).

Its first name was Place Royale but since the Revolution (of course) the name has been changed to 'Place des Vosges' (after the first departement to complete the payment of the taxes in 1848 (2nd Republic)).

The place was highly fashionable in the XVII th and XVIII th century and many famous people used to live there : the Marquise de Sevigne, Jean Baptiste Colbert, and, later Victor Hugo (whose house on the #6 is now a museum) and Aphonse Daudet.

Nowadays, under the arches enclosing the sqare, you can find antique shops, a starred restaurant (l'Ambroisie) and a museum in Victor Hugo's house.

A door, along the #7 leads in the Hotel the Sully's gardens.

Prototype for lovely planned Squares of the World

by BeatChick

This is a beautiful planned square of a former royal residence in the Marais in Paris. The royal quarters were divided between the King (Pavillon de la Roi) and the Queen (Pavillon de la Reine). The latter is now exemplified by a deluxe hôtel of the same name on this square.

Before I reached my hotel last trip, I sauntered through the Place des Vosges to see what it looked like. As I walked down rue Birague I took a pic of the archway entrance to the Place des Vosges then turned to take one of the cute Hôtel de la Place des Vosges located at 12 rue Birague.

While I meandered around the Place with my rolling suitcase behind me, I noticed a chic, young maman coaxing bébé to slide down a 2-foot 30º angle slide. Next was watching a little 3- or 4-year old expertly kicking around a soccer ball.

The very famous bistro, Ma Bourgogne, is located on this square but for simpler fare with simpler prices you might wish to try Nectarine (Restaurant - Salon de Thé, 16 Place des Vosges ~ ph# 01 42 77 23 78) for sitting on the terrasse and sampling sweet & savory crêpes.

Also nearby for you Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame fans is the Maison de Victor Hugo.
6 Place des Vosges

Photo: April 2003 & Feb 2006

A great hotel in the Marais

by TripAdvisor Member Tar Heel Bill 92

My partner and I recently visited Paris in Novemeber 2005 over the American Thanksgiving holiday weekend. We were meeting several friends who were staying in the Marais, and so we decided to stay at the Pavillon de la Reine, largely because of the endorsement of the Harper Hideaway Report.

The hotel really is a spectacular oasis within the wonderfully large and charming city of Paris. It absolutely has the boutique feel, and you feel you are a guest in a small luxury inn rather than in a large chain luxury hotel--which is precisely what we prefer (though we do love Four Seasons hotels). We booked a duplex suite, and it absolutely met our expectations. The decor was French chic, for certain, which was a nice change from the typical decor of many hotels in the area. The room looked right out onto the beautiful courtyard for which the hotel is famous, and as a corner suite also looked out on the street--without much noise, much to our surprise. The suite was a loft, with bedroom upstairs and living room (and bathroom, unfortunately) downstairs. All in all, we were very happy with the room.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, and we were very pleased with the offerings and service. American breakfast items were available whenever we asked, and they remembered what we liked even a few days later--talk about good service!

We found the staff very friendly and accommodating, and easily able to assist us with dinner reservations and recommendations throughout the city. We also loved the hotel honor bar.

If we are to stay in the Marais again, we absolutely would stay again at the Pavillon de la Reine. We enthusiastically endorse the property and encourage anyone interested that is well worth a visit! The Marais is also a very fun area in which to stay, with easy access to many wonderful sights and shopping.

What a fabulous find

by TripAdvisor Member Clowey

We have just arrived back from a wonderful five day break in Paris.
We stayed at the Pavillion de la Reine purely because of the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor.
The hotel is in one of the most beautiful parts of Paris, surrounded by lovely bistro's galleries and up market shops. There is a gorgeous park facing the hotel, with beautiful fountains and plenty of seating so you can sit after a hectic day and watch the world go by.

The rooms in the hotel were fine, we had a deluxe double, which was nicely decorated, but relatively small considering what we paid, the bathroom was great, with double sinks and the usual treats like Molton Brown toiletries and bath robes.

The breakfast was excellent, everything was delicious, the coffee, fresh fruit & pastries were gorgeous.

The staff could not be faulted, the reception and concierge were wonderfully polite and incredibly helpful.

As you can imagine we were very sorry to leave and will be returning in a couple of months.

Try Cafe Hugo on the corner, for a great salad.

A unique romantic place in the heart of the city !

by TripAdvisor Member Rochelle_D

What a great stay we had ! This hotel is a jewel hidden under the arcades of the PLaces des Vosges. The rooms are fabulous and the staff is extremely efficient and nice ! ..... We will definitely be back soon!

Great Vibe, Great Location, Great Staff

Based on the reviews I read of this hotel on TripAdvisor and in several guide books, my husband and I decided to stay here for our first visit to Paris. I strongly recommend this hotel for those looking for a quiet, romantic hotel in a great neighborhood. They had a fantastic winter deal which included a buffet breakfast and we were upgraded to a suite with a balcony room overlooking the courtyard. Frankly, we would never have been able to afford this place without the discount! The metro station is nearby on a main line (St Paul #1)and there are many shops and restaurants in the vicinity.

Appalling Treatment

we stayed here for a period of 5 days. Had disgustingly rude treatment by the front desk as well as being placed in a room which was the size of a broom closet. NEVER AGAIN! There are too too many lovely hotels to stay here.

Romantic Hotels

by TigerLil

Me and my partner are thinking of going to Paris for the weekend and I want to stay in an Old style classic romantic hotel.

Can anyone suggest any

Thanx

Stef x

by risamay

I would recommend the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais. Beautifully renovated hotel in an older, "classic" Parisian style. Romantic. Centrally located. Metros Hotel de Ville and St. Paul. I stayed there for three weeks this April and loved it!

See my VT Paris page for more info or...

Cheers,
Marisa (et Dino)

by nygaston

I agree, the Marais is very good.

My preferred areas are:
Le Marais
Saint Michel
Montmartre
Saint Germain

by Sofia0412

I would recommend Hotel Suede Saint Germain, 3 star hotel with the Typical French decoration...really lovely style...a very romantic hotel, in the 7th, at the lilt of the 6th, not far away from Saint Germain des Pres...They have really nice rooms, I guess you would love the lobby...a really French romantic style:))! Really nice!
Have a look at the website, there are some pictures of the hotel: http://www.suede-saint-germain.com

have a nice we!

by CALSF

How much did you have in mind to spend per night for the hotel? If I could afford it I'd love to stay at the Pavillon de La Reine located in the 3rd district at Place des Vosges and next to the Marais. Also Duc de St. Simon in the 7th district is romantic but very expensive too. The Caron de Beaumarchais mentioned above is another nice hotel, not expensive as well.

by meheu

Sin contest the Hotel Britannique, http://www.hotel-britannique.com/, a nice 3 stars hotel with a really really nice decoration. It has a great situation near Notre Dame de Paris and the river Seine, for a romantic walk, near the famous rue de Rivoli for Shopping.This hotel is all the more really confortable.
I hope it will be helpfull

by TigerLil

I am gonna check all of these out.

I have look at Hotel Caron and love it, but will still look at others.

Another question I have is whereabouts in Paris is the best place to stay?

How far away is The Eifle Tower from Hotel Caron?

by CALSF

The Eiffel Tower is in the 16th district whereas the Marais is in the 4th district. It's not an easy walk, therefore, it's best that you take the metro.

Comments