3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Tingo.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 46% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

More about Pavillon Montaigne

Artist drawing a picture on Place du TertreArtist drawing a picture on Place du Tertre

Hugo Boss Store, ParisHugo Boss Store, Paris

Dumas' tombDumas' tomb

The architect's plaque.The architect's plaque.

1 night stay only: 7ème or 17ème ? ? ?

by spacefacecara

Salut,

Living in Belgium of course I've been to Paris dozens of times. The last times though must have been at least 4-5 years ago and I stayed at a friend's place so I didn't have to look for hotel accomodation.

As in any metropolitan city there are hundreds of hotels to choose from from top notch hotels (I couldn't afford LOL) to sleezy and yukkie! ;oO LOL As everyone I'd like something decent which won't cost me an arm and a leg. Had been considering Grand Hotel Doré on avenue Daumesnil coz of the positive comments and the nice not too touristy neighbourhood but for a one night stay it seems a bit out of the way and not within short reach of the Gare du Nord.

So now I'm considering these two options:
- hotel Ampère, av. de Villiers, 17ème, metro Pereire
- hotel Valadon, rue Valadon, 7ème, metro Ecole Militaire

Though Ampère is 4-star and Valadon 2-star the rates I found don't differ that much and both get very good reviews on Tripadvisor. Any thoughts on which area to choose???

Merci d'avance!
Cara

RE: 1 night stay only: 7ème or 17ème ? ? ?

by Beausoleil

My personal preference (given your two choices) would be 7eme. It is a little more in the center of things and you could spend more time walking and enjoying Paris than sitting on a Metro watching ads flash by underground.

I looked at both and the area looks nicer in the 17eme. It depends on how much the area means to you. We usually only go to our room to sleep and the 7eme is much closer to many things we particularly like, i.e. Musee Rodin, Musee d'Orsay, etc.

Why don't you plug in the addresses in this web site and see actual photos of the two streets and get an idea of where you'll be walking. http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/

This gives you photos and the arrows underneath the photo let you literally "walk" down the street and see the neighborhood.

BTW, I always recommend the Hotel de la Sorbonne where we usually stay. The Hotel Clement is also very nice and both are more centrally located. If you're interested check my Paris Page for Hotel Tips or Google either one. We book on http://www.france.com and they have a great hotel search engine if you are interested.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. We'll be there again in September.

RE: RE: 1 night stay only: 7ème or 17ème ? ? ?

by kirstylm

Just to confuse matters a bit more, a hotel which has often been suggested to me because of its central location, but yet still decent price is Pavillon Montaigne, near Champs Elysees (check out www.venere.com).

It just sounds like something that could be exactly what you're looking for! :-)

RE: RE: 1 night stay only: 7ème or 17ème ? ? ?

by spacefacecara

Thank you both for the suggestions!
Looks like it's gonna be the 7th...

Travel Tips for Paris

Obviously, it would have to be...

by fem37

Obviously, it would have to be the Effel Tower. Notre Dame, and the Catacombs which were very powerful to see (but difficult to find). I loved the markets on the streets. Everything was fresh and the cost was resonable. It was an excuse to mingle with local people and enjoy their delicious food.

Learning French / Practicing French

by BeatChick

Ah! So you've been learning French! You can now order your own meal with ease! You can pick up a pack of cigs from le tabac! Well, let me give you a piece of advice that the t-shirt vendor dude on the Place du Parvis gave me. He told me the BEST way to learn French is to grab a Frenchman and practice! What better way to learn the French language than through the language of amour!!

Photo: March 2001

L'Hotel de Ville (Paris City Hall)

by Fam_Stoica

L'Hotel de Ville (Paris City Hall) is situated in the centre of a huge square which for five centuries was the site of public executions.

This imposing building was designed by Deperthes and Ballu (a former 16th century building in Renaissance style designed by Domenico da Cortona and destroyed by fire in 1871 was the source of inspiration).

More detailed information at www.mairie-paris.fr (the official site).

In Georges Pompidou Cultural...

by rogdias

No Centro Georges Pompidou existe uma mediateca onde você pode ouvir um CD ou folhear um livro. Bom para quando se está cansado de andar. Usei para conhecer a ópera que ia ouvir dias depois no Garnier.

In Georges Pompidou Cultural Center mediateque you can select a CD or video to hear/watch. Good when you get tired of walking. Or you can take a book and read it. I used it to get to know the opera I was going to see at the Opera Garnier.

Jim Morrison's grave!

by Dash&Rusty

Morrison is buried in "The Poets' Corner" of the famous Père Lachaise cemetery in eastern Paris. We took our 3 teenage kids and opened a bottle of wine to make a toast to the great Jim Morrison. A guard appeared out of no where to let us know that was not tolerated. He did let us finish our glass of wine! Morrison's grave has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in Paris, along with Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Louvre.

Video Clip: