Place Clichy Hotel Paris

Costs 36% more and rated 15% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Place Clichy Hotel Paris

A little strange!!

by ozpaul about Place de Clichy Hotel

This has to be one of the funniest places that I have ever stayed. The staff are very friendly and even appreciated my French. The elevator has to be one of the funniest experiences I have ever had. Do not attempt to take more than 1 person and 1 bag at a time. Breakfast is monotonous, however, the location is fabulous!! The elevator!!!! The door handles - they all fell off the doors at one stage during our stay!! I have classified this hotel under adventure travel - it is an adventure to stay here!!

Moulin Rouge & Pigalle

by orlikins

The Moulin Rouge isnt that big to look at, I almost walked past it, not realising what it was.

However it does look very distinctive when it's illuminated at night.

The Pigalle & Place de Clichy area is lined with strip shows & sex shops

Victor Hugo
Porte Dauphine

Clothes/luggage repair

by mi5chelle

In my last visit to Paris, June 2004, my favorite handbag's zipper broke. I was desperate, especially since it was a Sunday. I had been staying in the 18th Arrond and found, to my delight, a place open. A ten minute zipper repair on my favorite bag, done by a lovely Pakistani-French couple.

Retouche Rapide
32 Rue du Turin
75008 Paris

Tel: +33 01 44 69 02 87

Metro: Rome or Place de Clichy (but you'll have to walk a bit)

Museum of Erotic Art

by worldglobetrotter

Paris, the capitol of love, has no museum of love--but they do have one paying homage to the wild world of sex!

The rare exhibition at this museum has prints and videos, photographs and african wood sculpture, pottery exploiting sex 2,000 years ago, erotic snuff bottles, Japanese sex education books, Chinese sex manuals, lithographs, chastity belts, photographs of luxury and popular brothels when they were legal.

Warning: doesn't leave much to the imagination!

The Museum of Erotic Art is towards Place de Clichy, just before the Moulin Rouge. (Look for the two stone sculptures flanking the entrance.)

72, bd de Clichy 18th arrondissement
Métro : Blanche/ Pigalle
Open 10 am to 2 am

Place de ClichyPlace de Clichy

VirtualTourist tips on Paris attractionsVirtualTourist tips on Paris attractions

Font of Notre DameFont of Notre Dame

Cluny Museum GardensCluny Museum Gardens

by risamay

I'm travelling to April this fall and staying on the Rue Darcet near the Place de Clichy metro. What are your general feelings about a girl travelling alone (with a Pez dispenser) and staying in this area? I know it's sketchier near the Pigalle metro. I've been to this area of the 17th and 18th before and think it's cute. But I just haven't been there at night. I'm not too concerned as I've travelled a lot alone, but just thought I should asked other seasoned travellers and bonafide Parisians.

Merci beaucoup!

by Chrisp7

Hi!

Its a safe area, just use common sense at night like every city. I actually work near the anvers stop which isnt that far away from place de clichy on foot, apart from the sex shops nearby clichy is a fine area to be in. O'Sullivans is quite close too, so go there!

Chris

by ParisButte

Hi,
No problem in this area. I live in Montmartre near metro station "Blanche", very close Place de Clichy... I'm a girl and I can tell you that it's a secure area, day and night...

by Hamster_Huey

o

et Merci!

by SarahEire

I agree that its a safe place at night. You should definatly check out O'Sullivans and Corcorcan on Bld de Clichy.

Place de Clichy advice

by tango_jd

Hi _ my wife and I have been to Paris 5 or 6 times and love the place! We always stay in the Latin Quarter as we like the atmosphere and ease of finding a restauant etc.
Some elderly relatives are going in September and they have been booked-into a hotel near Place De Clichy.
We are used to seeing tourist menus being displayed with starters, main courses and sweets for an all-in price and where these are described in English as well as french. Whilst we have a bit more experience now and can be more selective, these types of restauarants would be ideal for these elderly first-time visitors working to a budget.
Is the Pace De Clichy area similar or will this be a problem for them? Apart from our daytime trips to the Moulin Rouge area or to Montmartre, we havenot been there at night when the restaurants are open. Maybe they are better-off taking a metro and eating in th eLatin Quarter?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

by kathymof

Hopefully someone who knows Paris better than I do can answer your question but I would be concerned with an elderly couple in this area if they are out at night. I have heard that there is more than the average amount of prostitution, drugs and pick pockets in this area but don't know how accurate that is.

by tango_jd

Yes - I'm afraid that is an impression I have although it is too late to change the booking now.
I guess fore-warned is forearmed.

by vinc_bilb

Well,

As Place de Clichy is a high spot, no pbs with restaurants (description in english), even if from a quality point of view, Latin quarter or Montmartre should be a little better. I don't expect any problem for you. Montmartre is closed from Place de Clichy.
You're perhaps aware that Place de Clichy and Pigale are the nightlife hot spots for erotic shows and more. So, ambiance is different than quartier Latin and you could be "dragged" for Erotic shows, not by prostitutes normaly (french legislation is now veryy verry strict).

by tango_jd

That sounds more encouraging - thanks!
I don't think they willmind being near the night-spots just so long as there are plenty of restaurants to choose-from and where it won't cost a fortune to eat!

Hi,
Myself and my boyfriend have been given a trip to Paris as a gift and are booked into stay at the Place de Clichy, rue de. I've just looked a few recent reviews which were awful - saying it was a grotty little hotel with dirty sheets and blocked toilets , nasty staff, rooms rented out for the hour etc etc! So needless to say I'm a bit worried. I know it's a budget hotel so as long as it's clean and safe then that's ok! Has anyone been recently or does anyone who lives in Paris know what it's really like??
Chloe

sorry meant to say Place de Clichy, 71 Rue de Douai

by FabienneCA

Hi,

which hotel are you talking about?

Fabienne

hi
The hotel is called place de Clichy and its on rue de douai.

by Robin_Linda

Hi Chloe,

I do not know this hotel, and the review in the website does not look promising, but my first experience in Paris over 10 years ago involved booking a 'budget' hotel that was about the most disgusting place I have ever seen. We were first given a room on the top floor that had only a bare light bulb on a chain, which, in fact, did not work. It is probably a good thing that we could not actually see the room. After going all the way back down the stairs to inform the staff that we had no electricity, we were given a room with someone's dirty clothes and journals in the locker-type thing for storage. The toilet was so bad that I cannot even describe it here.

However, it was my first trip to Paris and my friend and I made a decision to just laugh it off - deal with it for the few days (since we could not really afford more then) - and we survived. We just stayed out late, until we were so tired that we did not notice the grime and filth. I bought some towels, even.

If this was a gift and you cannot change the hotel reservation - I say, go for it, and maybe bring a few towels of your own ;-).

My friend and I still laugh about the hotel that we found and it provides a great deal of humor almost 13 years later.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Robin Linda

by bubba4783

Here's some more positive reviews from a different site http://www.holidays-exposed.com/r/accom_one/10613628.html

by clohugs

Thanks v much for your advice! I think we'll just brave it and if it's just too dodgey then we may try to book into a hostel or something. Does anyone know of any good hostels/cheap hotels in the area shouldn't require pre-booking in Feb?
Chloe