Quality Hotel Abaca Paris 15th

Quality Hotel Abaca Messidor Paris
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• hermesdad's Profile Photo

Good location, friendly staff and great breakfast!

The Quality Hotel "Abaca Messidor" is located in the 15th arrondissement, just steps from Metro Convention. While there's nothing "touristy" about this neighborhood, consider that a reason to like this hotel and location. After staying here for 8 nights, I have a completely different idea about "prime locations" in Paris. Sure, we'd all like to stay at the Ritz or have a view of the Eiffel tower. But, for those of us who can't spend a small fortune, I can't see how this basic, neighborhood hotel and it's pleasant, helpful staff could have been much improved on.

First, the location. It's certainly not in what's considered the heart of the city, although we loved being in a "real" neighborhood - with reasonable cafes, a grocery store for wine and cheese, and an open air market on the weekend. The hotel is just steps from the intersection of Convention and Vaugirard, with Dupont and Convention Cafes, Le Source Bistro, McDonald's, KFC and a Monoprix (think French Super Target) all on (or very near) the corner. More importantly, the Metro (line 12) at the same intersection has a rare escalator exit - a welcome reward at the end of day spent walking Paris. We enjoyed using the Metro, and within 7 to 12 stops you could be in the city center - with time to read up on your destination on the train. The Metro is simple, never more than one train change, and a midnight cab ride from the Marais to the Hotel was only about 10 Euro. All in all, the laid back neighborhood feeling and all the reasonably priced wining and dining choices made this hotel a real bargain. One hot afternoon, we stopped for Cokes at cafe in front of La Madeleine. After almost choking on the 27 Euro tab for 3 sodas (about $38US), we realized how lucky we were to be staying in a "real" neighborhood with bourgeois prices.

A word or two about the hotel rooms. They are spacious by European standards. The beds were comfortable, sheets just okay, but bathrooms are newly renovated and spotless - with a 120v plug for charging cell phones and laptops. New double pane windows kept out all noise (we faced the courtyard), and we only heard neighbors voices one time in 8 days. Our room a/c was great, very cold, with remote control on the wall by the bed. No closet in 206, but the large armoire, with 2 extra pillows, was more than adequate for 2 people's clothes (we stored luggage under the bed for more space). A nice flat screen TV is mounted on the wall, making it comfortable to watch from bed. A small desk/table with lamp was large enough once we moved all the requisite advertising off of it, and a Chippendale chair completed the furnishings. Nothing fancy, but compared to some of the nightmares I've heard about budget hotel rooms in Paris, this place was tasteful, quiet, spacious and comfortable. I don't think all the hotels rooms have a/c, so be sure and request if that's important to you.

Wi-fi is available in the hotel lobby, and while they don't have a business center per se, they do have a PC desk in the rear lobby / bar area that charges by the minute. We even had a nice glass of wine one evening while we were waiting for another room to come down. Downstairs is the breakfast area, and it was a full breakfast. Yes, they had all the pastries, butter, cheeses, cold cuts, fruits (dried and fresh), cereal, granola, juices, coffee, hot teas of an elaborate continental breakfast, but they had a big warming tray of bacon, scrambled eggs and little sausages, too! I don't know what breakfast cost, as it was part of our tour package, but we were very happy to have a hearty breakfast each day before setting out. Breakfast is served from 7 to 10am. For the rest of the day, room service is provided by Dupont Cafe on the corner.

The hotel staff, with one overnight exception, was always friendly, helpful and spoke English. The hotel is close to a fine dining restaurant we had read about in Food and Wine magazine, Afaria, and the desk made our reservation for us with no attitude whatever. They also made sure we got a message about our shuttle pick up time change. As for Afaria - highly recommended!

Initially, I was very disappointed that we were not staying closer to the center. However, we loved the neighborhood, having reasonable and good choices for food and wine nearby, and a very efficient and quiet little hotel to come home to each night.

Directions: From the Convention metro, it's a half block up Vaugirard.

• Sufficient and central

I stayed at the Quality Hotel Abaca for a total of 7 nights and found my stay quite enjoyable.
    The hotel staff, for the most part, were friendly enough and spoke a bit of English which helped with getting directions and recommendations.
    The room we stayed in was on the 5th floor, facing the street and was very clean, quiet and comfortable if a bit on the small side. We re-arranged the small chairs and desk a bit to give ourselves a bit more room for our suitcases and this seemed to help.
    There was no dresser or drawers in the room, and the open-concept closet had only 10 hangers - which is not alot considering there were two people in the room, staying in paris for 7 nights - however this was only a small inconvenience.
    The bathroom was cramped but looked newly renovated and the fittings and fixtures were nice - though the hair-dryer looked like it was still from the 1970's and apparently didn't work all that great.
    Please note that this hotel, like mush of Paris allows smoking. During our stay I only could actually smell someone smoking on our floor once, and the hotel does have a few non-smoking floors.
    If you've read any other reviews on any other site than you will no that this Hotel has a VERY small elevator which is very safe and secure and actually pretty fast considering. It will easily hold two people and one bag, one person and two bags, two people and a laundry hamper.....lol. I was on the 6th floor so know all about the elevator!
    The continental breakfast was sub-par - powdered eggs and loose meat though they did have a really good selection of breads, croissants and fruits - but get to it early as all that stuff goes first.
    The location couldn't be better - but if you are looking for somewhere within walking distance of the main tourist sights or don't want to use the (somewhat dirty / smelly but easy to navigate) metro, then look elsewhere.
    This hotel is in a bright, quiet family neighborhood and is about 1/2 a block from the Convention station - by which you can easily get to all points of interest and I found the metro extremely fast and easy to navigate as long as you know where you are going.

A few doors down from the hotel is your new best friend - the MONOPRIX!
    Sort of an 'everything' store, they have a well-stocked grocery store, beauty and clothing departments, a cafe, housewares and most importantly - a great wine selection.
    It is open from 9am to 9 pm everyday except Sunday when it is closed.
    I found the MONOPRIX a great place to get water, fresh fruit and any toiletries you might have forgotten or need - and the prices a re very good - even the clothing was high quality.
    Enjoy your stay!

• cherylll's Profile Photo

Try to avoid this Hotel

The Good: 1) price is cheap, 2) just steps from the nearest Metro entrance and within 10-15 minutes from most tourist sites...for the exception of Sacre Coure, Versaille, etc 3) frontdesk staff quite helpful 4) beautiful garden patio and great coffee if you get it from the frontdesk...not the restaurant

The Not-so-good:1) breakfast was terrible; very low quality food... served between 7am-10am, but little to no food after 8:30am 2) elavator holds 1 person and 1 suitcase and doesn't work half the time 3) very small room (10ft x 12ft including the WR) not a big deal to us 4) no drawers...just one small closet and two shelves 5) commute back to the Airport is very unorganized...we arrived at the Airport 1.5hr late, which makes for a very long wait in line in an all ready busy Airport

More about Quality Hotel Abaca Paris 15th

Quality Hotel Abaca, 15th Arr. + flea markets

by euro05

I'm staying at the Quality Hotel Abaca, booked this as a package. Can anyone tell me if you have stayed there, and give me your thoughts on this place.
My friend and I chose this place because we wanted to stay in a non-tourist area. The brochure says it's situated in a typical Parisian area.
Also, do you recommend going to the Vanves fleamarket, since it's close, or go to the Clignancourt.
I've not been back to Paris since France became part of the EU, I'm looking forward to my week in Paris.

Ps, can someone please tell me how much it would cost to buy the Longchamp Les Pliages shopping bag _nylon the medium size with the over shoulder strap.
I've bought mine in spain and in heathrow. In NY, it cost $125 US. I heard there is a Longchamp store in La Vallee Village. I can't seem to find the price in euro.

cheers

Re: Quality Hotel Abaca, 15th Arr. + flea markets

by ExParisian

The brochure would say it is a "typical parisian area", they love to pass off any old area as "authentic". It is a residential well-off area, short on sights and atmosphere. Plenty of useful shops though, so that's a plus. The best part of the 15th in terms of excitement, for want of a better term with regard to the 15th is Rue du Commerce, but a little far from where you'll be. The Puces de Vanves are much smaller than the Puces de Saint Ouen (apparently the largest in the world), go to Saint Ouen instead.

Can't advise you about the cheap handbag you're after. I get mine from Tati, most posh, you should try.

You haven't been to Paris since 1956? Well, that'll be a shock then, certainly a most memorable visit for you two, enjoy yourselves!

Comments