Residence Villa Montmartre

Eiffel towerEiffel tower

The slender Gothic façade, Oct 09The slender Gothic façade, Oct 09

Address for the Duke & Duchess of Windsor

by MadAboutParis

Just curious, does anyone know where they lived? And does anyone have a link to the Paris addresses of famous people other than this one:
Merci beaucoup et xx,
M

by leics

Intially, 4 rue du Champ d'Entraînement in Neuilly near Paris.

From 1953 they also had a villa, 'Le Bois' in the Bois du Boulogne (I believe this is currently leased by Mohammed Al Fayed and partially functions as a private museum).

by MadAboutParis

Merci mille fois...I appreciate your responses.
M

by Paris92

Great to see you back in the forums, Mad!

Travel Tips for Paris

Visit all the famous places at...

by unigirl

Visit all the famous places at least once. Yes, I encourage avoiding tourist traps, but there are some things that just NEED to be done. The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Paris cemetary, and the whole of the Champs-Elysees. It is especially good if you go in the off season; I went in March. La Butte is a wonderful place, especially if you listen to the Rufus Wainwright song that bears it's name....the Rue Mouftard offers some pleasant surprises as well.... My favourite memory of Paris besides all the sights would have to be the memory of the awe I felt when I got there--and it was not just that it was Paris, it was that I was in Europe! I had never gone anywhere overseas before, and the feeling of being away from home and in such a wonderfully famous and rich place was indescribable...as most of you would know!

Place des Vosges

by Klod5

The place des Vosges, to the heart of the district of Le Marais, forms a perfectly coherent architectural whole, typical of the French urban architecture of the XVI th century. It is in an angle of the place that the big French writer, Victor Hugo, lived in.

Try New Foods

by BeatChick

I think one of the greatest pleasures of travel is the NEW: seeing new places, smelling new smells, trying new things, eating new foods! Here are a few of my first-time food experiences. Things I'd read about before I went to France and decided I must try.

Escargot de Bourgogne
I'd never had escargots before, but they’re delicious. I’d recommend to anyone who’s never tried it to have his or her 1st experience of it at this restaurant, Le Vieux Bistro. They’re almost like mussels but with a definite earthy taste following the initial warm, buttery, almost nutty, chewy first taste. sopped up the garlic butter juices with my bread (wonderful bread – crispy outside, fluffy inside – not too chewy), and finished it off with swirlings of Sancerre in my mouth. Mmmmm. Sheer perfection!

Roasted Chestnuts
This is something I thought was strictly for the Christmas holiday but luckily I was able to try roasted chestnuts from the lady who was hawking them in front of the BHV. I've also found them in Montmartre on the corner of rue de Steinkerque & boulevard de Rouchechouart near Anvers Metro.

Crêpes
Of course, crêpes are an excuse to try all types of different flavors from Nutella (a gooey chocolate hazelnut spread) to citron sucre (fresh-squeezed lemon, butter and sugar). I've only ever sampled them from the street vendors - and only when they're freshly prepared!

Photo: Feb 2006

Globetrotters nesting in Paris marina

by Norali

I don't know anything about marina lifestyle. Still, this really intrigues me.

In one of my Geo magazines, they explained that some of the owners of yachts there really lived there, all year around.

Some come from other European countries (btw, I saw some Dutch/ Flemish-named yachts) and use(d) to roam the waters of Europe in their homies. Others are French, living in the marina. It is an area organized as a village, with a center, a restaurant & café, a laundry room, a staff that use to check safety, validity of papers & subscriptions.

I couldn't talk to any of the locals there but for sure, it can't be my lifestyle. For me, it seems then to be holidays all year around. Do they work ? Seems, yes, like some work and use to join their homies after work ready for another lifestyle... a nomadic one but stil mooring in a Parisian marina. Would I become schizophrenic one day ? juggling between two attitudes ? Schizophrenia uses to fascinate me...

Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen

by MM212

Paris' main flee market, le Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen, the world's largest, is an incredible open air museum. It is also thought to be the world's first flee market, dating from the 17th century. The quantity and quality of its antiques are unmatched anywhere in the world. Although the largest number of shops is dedicated to French antiques, other dealers specialise in nearly every possible type of antiques. Bargains can still be found, but beware, these antique dealers are well aware of the value of their merchandise. Le Marché aux Puces is located in Saint-Ouen, just outside Paris by Porte Saint-Ouen, and is well worth a visit, particulary on Sunday morning (it is only open on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays).

Comments