21 Rue Buffault, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75009, France

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• cwest03's Profile Photo

Close to the Gare du l'Est Train Station

It was about $60 to $80 US for a double room back in July of 1998 but I would suggest checking the web site for current and seasonal prices. The one thing that stood out for me was how friendly the staff was. I remember having a conversation with the night clerk for about 20-30 minutes. We shared our interest about the 70s funk band Tower of Power and he told me about the nightclubs in the area and how Prince would stop in from time to time unannounced, to play a set in a small venue. I had always heard about how unfriendly the French were but this was definitely not the case.

Unique Quality: Reasonable priced, clean rooms with bathrooms and shower in the room. From the other hotels that I've stayed in when in Paris this one is a much better value. You get a bigger room for the money. The only down side is the location. You're not necessarily in walking distance to all of the attractions but it is close to the Gare du l'Est Train Station. It is also right next to a metro station so you can get anywhere in the city fairly easily and quickly.

Directions: It's very clost to Gare dul'Est and a Metro station.

More about Touring Hotel

Stayed at the Suffren De...

by ceswho

Stayed at the Suffren De Eiffel, just 2 blocks from the Eiffel Tower. Reasonable $$$ includes breakfast every morning.
$278.00 for 4 days and 3 nights. Great view of the Eiffel Tower, continental breakfast,gym, pool, room facilities telephone; telephone, mini bar, hair dryer, tub, although the rooms are small, enough to have a place to sleep. After all, most of the time I was out touring Paris.

Guided bicycle tours

by Nemorino

If you are not accustomed to city cycling, but still don't want to miss out on the fun of touring Paris by bicycle, you might consider taking a guided bicycle tour, where you will be in a group and be looked after.

The tour in this photo has stopped in the courtyard of the Palais Royal. This particular tour was in French, but the same company also offers guided bike tours in English, as do several other companies in Paris.

(I've never taken this kind of tour, but I listened in on this one for a bit, and the guide seemed very friendly and knowledgeable.)

Second photo: The same group turning to leave.

Third photo: Tag on one of their bikes.

Christmas in Paris in 2001

by DEBBBEDB

December 27th

Before we went inside Notre Dame, we were stopped by a guy looking for English families touring Paris (I was flattered that he thought we might be English - means we are blending in better) to take a short survey. After we took the survey, we quizzed him on how to see the best parts of Notre Dame. So, we walked in. There was a huge queue for the towers, so we didn't do that part. We did go down to see the Crypte Archeologique which displays the foundations under the church.

On December 29th in the evening, Dave, our son and I decided to go to Notre Dame for Mass, so we left our daughter at the hotel. The organ was fabulous. Our son fell asleep before the first reading (which may please our local priest - as he falls asleep during the homily all the time at home).

A week on the Velib' bikes

by Nemorino

In the summer of 2008 I took out a seven-day subscription (for a mere five Euros) to the fantastic Velib' system of short-term spontaneous bicycle rentals and spent the week touring Paris on these sturdy and nearly-free machines.

I didn't keep track of exactly how often I checked out a bike, but looking back I would estimate that I took seven to twelve separate rides per day. Since the first half hour of each ride is free, i.e. included in the subscription price, I usually returned my bike to one of the 1,450 Velib' stations before the half hour was up, and then immediately took another one (or the same one again) if I wanted to go further. Please have a look at my tip How Velib' works for more details on the pricing system.

Update: When my credit card statement arrived the following month, it turned out that Velib' had billed me for all of seven Euros, from which I conclude that only two of my many cycling trips lasted longer than half an hour. (A seven-day subscription costs five Euros, and if a trip lasts more than 30 minutes then one additional Euro is charged for the second half hour.) Only seven Euros for a week of cycling! That has to be one of the world's greatest bargains.

The first photo shows Velib' station 10001 aka 10-01 (first station in the tenth district or arrondissement) at Place Johann Strauss, a block from my hotel, where I often started out in the morning.

Additional photos: Here are just a few of the many thousands of Velib' riders on the streets of Paris. According to city officials there are 120,000 trips on an average day, which works out to about 27.5 million trips during the first year of operation.

Touring paris and spain

by LisaAG

In august me and my friend are going to paris for four days, I am thinking about getting an orange pass but I am not sure if I can use it to get from the Gaulle aeroport to our hotel in the latin quarter. Also, we then plan to go to barcelona by eurail, is there a better option?? we will be touring all of spain.
I realize that this is the paris forum but we also want to fly from barcelona to ibiza should we just get our tickets in barcelona?? Thanks for the info.

Re: Touring paris and spain

by Hamster_Huey

Paris, as far as public transportation is concerned, is devided into concentric zones. Paris itself and the closest suburubs constitute zone 1-2. The airport, being very far, is in the one of the furthest zones. Needless to say it is very expensive and buys itself back only if you use the pass everyday, twice a day. I doubt you'll be going back and forth to the airport everyday...

You're best bet is to buy tickets by the book (book of 10 tickets), it is 9€60

You can also buy a carte orange, for 2 zones (the cheapest). You won't need more zones.
be aware that there are two orange passes:
- the weekly pass (13€75): it starts on a monday until sunday
- the monthly pass (46€05): it starts the first day of the month, and finishes the last day

Another option is paris visite: unlimited travel for 1, 2,3 or 5 days.
(I personnaly think this pass is a rip off for tourists. orange card is cheaper, even if you buy it in the middle of the week.)

So you're best option is probably to buy tickets by books of 10, as you'll walk a lot in Paris.
Just buy a one way ticket from the airport to Paris (7€30).

Comments