Welcome

tvor's Profile Photo

Welcome to Paris

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 11, 2007

A friend stayed here in the past and recommended it and it has pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor.com. Right in the heart of the left bank, on the corner of Rue de Seine and Blvd. St. Germain and between two metro stops. Has singles, doubles and twins. Reasonable rates, small rooms and bathrooms but that's typical. In the middle of the Latin Quarter and student area and a block from Rue de Buci so we were able to get reasonable food. We walked to many major attractions like the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay and the seine/Notre Dame.

Our room was a double, and though small, we could get around the bed. There was also a small dresser and desk with two chairs and a small wardrobe. Bathroom small but adequate. We did look at a slightly larger room though it had two single beds together and the bathroom was bigger, with a tub and hand held shower but we stayed with our original assignment for the double bed and shower. We didn't take breakfast at the hotel, we ate in local cafes. Blvd St. Germain has lots of places but go down Rue de Seine to Rue Buci and the side streets in that area, lots of little places in there as well from boulangeries to proper restaurants and all in between.

Unique Quality: small tv in room, telephone, tiny elevator... *very* tiny. Not much bigger than a closet. Two people with hand luggage *just* fit. Breakfast not included. No air conditioning so probably a bit warm in summer. Price 102 Euros per night for a double (2014) and they do have some Triple rooms which might give you a bit more space. (130 euros)
Free Wi-Fi in the rooms (2014)

Directions: We took the RER B from CDG to Gare du Nord and took line 4 (i think) to Odeon. come out of the station and keep going in the direction you're facing as you come up. It's on the corner across the road, about 2 or 3 blocks away

shrimp56's Profile Photo

Faded charm in the *6e

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 12, 2006

Just above Le Mondrian brasserie, the Hotel Welcome has a faded charm, as well as the smallest lobby and elevator I have ever seen.

The beginning at Hotel Welcome on rue de Seine at blvd St. Germain was not auspicious. My TV remote didn't work, there was no water coming from the faucets a half hour after I arrived, and my radiator wouldn't turn on. Yet I'm going to recommend it to you as a good budget choice in the heart of the 6th arrondissement.

It turned out that the city had turned off the water without warning to fix an area water main. It took the city two days to fix it, but communication became better so that the hotel desk posted signs concerning the hours the water would be off. Not the hotel's fault, and, after the initial surprise they handled it well.

The TV remote turned out to be partly my fault -- the TV wasn't "on" to be signaled and the battery was dead. The young man at the desk came up twice to make sure I had a remote that worked.

I didn't report the heat situation until the next morning, when I told them my room temperature was 17 centigrade -- gotta love those Brookstone travel clocks! And it was fixed by the end of the day.

Sooo ... as I said not auspicious, but in the end the faded charm and the excellent front desk won me over. I also enjoyed being able to return to my hotel room during the day. The hotel has a pretty salon on the 1st floor where they serve breakfast and the teeniest narrow, but long elevator with two sets of doors. I ate breakfast at Bar de Marche, with the people working at the street market just a block away on rue de Buci.

Nearby Welcome

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Welcome

• Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews