Hotel Rambouillet Amarys

Travel Tips for Rambouillet

Ramble through Rambouillet

by rexvaughan

"Main Street"

I read about this place in a book called "An Hour From Paris" by Annabel Simms. It features about 20 little-known places within an hour of Paris. Having visited, I am surprised that more people don't kow about Rambouillet as the Chateau has a pretty significant history, is a current presidential residence and is a lovely place. It is a small city and easily walkable. The photo shows the main street where most of the shops and restaurants are. We took the train from Gare Montparnasse and it took us over an hour to arrive because we got on the one that stops 15-20 times en route. The fast trains cover it in about 30 minutes.

"St. Lubin Church"

Our main purpose for coming here was to see the Chateau (hoping that President Chirac was not in residence and we could in fact get in). However, we saw an attractive Gothic church on the way and had to stop in. It was typically lovely
Gothic but what really captured our attention was this side chapel dedicated to memorializing presumably the local men who were killed in WWI and WWII.

"Chateau Gardens"

Having finally gotten in and toured the interior of the Chateau, we wandered through the gardens and park. They are expansive and somewhat formal, but very appealing. Many canals and lakes give it nice variation.

Throughout the garden you encounter a variety of statues in a variety of styles. This one is on the border of the Quincunx. A very lovely young woman seems to be tossing handsful of flowers. All I could learn about it is that it is a marble done by Paul Chevre. It is called "Flore" which I presume means flowers.

Comments