Campanile Buc - Versailles

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Versailles

Grand TrianonGrand Trianon

The palaceThe palace

Looking through the gates of VersaillesLooking through the gates of Versailles

I WAS HERE (portion of the photo of the tour groupI WAS HERE (portion of the photo of the tour group

Couple of questions about visiting the chateau/gardens

by goodfish

My apologies in advance if these questions have been covered but I seem unable to find solid information!

We will visit the palace on a Wed. or Thursday (mid-september) as we'll be using our Paris Museum passes and there will be no special events on those days that the pass won't cover - such as Jardins Musicaux.

We'll take the RER C from Musee d'Orsay as that's the closest to us. Will ask for return (rétour) tickets and that will get us two - one to the palace and one to come back with, right? RER tickets don't need validation - that's done just by insertion into the turnstiles, right? I know to hang onto them for exiting the station.

I see that the gardens are open an hour before the palace and we plan to be there early. For the life of me I can't see on a map where you enter the gardens? Or should we just plan on being in the ticket-holder entrance line (Gate A) by 8:30 to enter the palace before it gets too busy?

I also can't find a complete list of items - other than strollers, luggage and large umbrellas - that are not allowed in the palace. I see food is also forbidden yet many visitors mention that they bring their own bottled beverages, snacks and even lunches. Do you simply check those items upon entry to the palace and retrieve them on your way out?

Although audio guides are nice, we usually opt to purchase a printed tour guide (book) instead as then we have the information/pictures when we get home. Has anyone purchased one at the entrance to the palace that they found particularly good both for self touring and as a nice souvenir to take home? One with a good map inside would be especially nice. Good books/guides from places we've been to get used over and over at our house. :)

If it looks like rain on Wed and Thursday, we might have to go on Tuesday.
Any idea how much extra the Jardins Musicaux would be on top of our museum passes, and if we have to stand in a long, long line JUST for tickets to the garden on that day? The website is unclear on that. It's also unclear in this event includes the ENTIRE garden or just parts that can be skipped. We will want to walk out the Trianons and the hamlet, and wouldn't miss those amazing gardens anyway!

by Beausoleil

"The garden will be exceptionally closed at 5.30 pm on 31 August - 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18 September"

"Journées du Patrimoine - 18 and 19 September 2010
The Châteaux and gardens of Trianon are free : any sale of Passport and Trianon tickets"

I don't know your exact dates, but the above were on the Versailles web site so you may wish to explore these options.

I can't tell you where the garden entrance is but I can tell you it is well marked. We had no trouble finding it. We toured the Palace and went to the gardens so yes, you would use the main entrance if you wish to do both.

We ate at one of the restaurants so I can't help you with picnic info except to say there are picnic areas.

Go to the Information Desk near the entrance. They have a free map of the entire area that is pretty self explanatory and makes a very nice souvenir.

Is it safe to assume you have checked the Versailles web site? If not, it is in English at http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage (If English doesn't appear, click on the British flag at the top of the screen.)

If you are going to be in Paris Sept. 18 and 19, 2010, you will be there during the Days of Patrimony and many museums will be free. There will also be places open to the public that are not usually open. Google Days of Patrimony to get an idea of what may be possible. I'll admit free days can be crowded, but it might be a chance to visit some things you don't normally get to visit and save the normal tourist things for a future trip. Just a thought.

Have a great trip.

Hi Sally!
Yes, I've checked the Versailles website (many times!) so I knew about the early garden closing on the 17th - that's why we don't want to visit on that day. We are, unfortunately, leaving Paris on the 18th so won't be around for Days of Patrimony. We'll purchase our 6-day museum passes on the Saturday we arrive but won't use them until Sunday - that way they'll carry us through Friday.

Thanks for the info on the garden entrance - I couldn't find it on the website (or maybe overlooked it).

by goodfish

LOL Pedro - I was hoping I'd hear from you!!! :)

Thanks so much for that tip on "coming in the back door" as we would say! But it might also be a problem in that Trianons and Hamlet properties aren't open to visit until 12:00? If we arrive early in the morning (as planned), wouldn't we want to visit the chateau first as it is open at 9:00?

So, if we come in the back way, do you recommend that we just explore the gardens until the Trianons/Hamlet are open at noon, try to see them quickly and THEN do the chateau? I'm only concerned that we won't make it to the palace in time without having rushing through it. But you're the expert here - maybe there's enough time?

by goodfish

Thanks so much! We're very excited about all of this!

Travel Tips for Versailles

Versailles

by CandS

We were a little disappointed with Versailles...I don't know if it was because we had seen so many other much nicer palaces throughout Europe or what...still I have heard so many good things about this place.

All of the fountains were turned off when we were there which was a real pity...I think they are only turned on on Sundays.

It costed us 46 FF per adult to get into the Palace.

www.chateauversailles.fr

Phone: 01 30837788

Castle

by bugulma

The first picture you enter the territory of the castle is the huge court. As I've said in intro the palace was begun to build in 1631 and since then building works had been continuing over 200 hundreds years. In XX century there were some restoration works. The palace is open for tourists from 9 am to 5.30 pm in winter and to 6.30 pm in summer. Ticket is EUR 14.50 and you may visit Grand Apartments, King Rooms and Trianon Palace

French pen friend

by Sakura_Kobe

We stayed overnight in Versailles. My pen friend who lives near Versailles came over to my hotel with her family. They showed us the enormous Versailles garden in the cold winter day. I really appreciate her friendship! Thank you, Claudine!!!

The Hall of Mirrors

by Goner

Probably the most famous room is The Hall of Mirrors which is lit by 17 tall windows matched by 17 mirrors that reflect the light. This well lit hall makes the chandellers sparkle and with all the gold and colorful paintings, it's spectacular.

The Hall of Mirrors was used as a passage way, each day the courtiers would wait here for the King and the royal famly in procession on the way to mass. It was also the setting for ambassadors and for state audiences. This hall is most noteable for hosting the proclamation of the German Empire on Januray 18th, 1871 and the signing of the Treaty of Versaille on June 28th 1919, which put an end to WWI.

The War Drawing-Room

by Goner

This drawing room is situated at the end of the King's State Apartment which can be found on the first floor of the central section next to the Hall of Mirrors. As the name implies, it's celebrates French conquests with Bellona the goddess of War in the paintings.

The decor of the walls is entirely of beautiful marble. The bas-relief in the picture is by Coysevox representing Louis XIV crossing a battlefield on horseback. The famous works suspended above are two figures of Fame. Below are two chained captives.

Comments