Mercure Versailles Chateau

19 rue Philippe de Dangeau, Angle rue Montbauron, Versailles, Ile-de-France, 78000, France
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Versailles

Grand TrianonGrand Trianon

The gardensThe gardens

Main Entrance at Opening Time, Line FormingMain Entrance at Opening Time, Line Forming

Placeholder postcard photoPlaceholder postcard photo

Ms Anita Sachs

by anitasachs

I would like to know how much does it cost to go from Paris to Verssailles by bus and how long does it take. Can I use Carte D'Orange for the trip?

by Beausoleil

The RER C to Versailles Rive Gauche from central Paris is 3.05 euros. It takes about 45 minutes. I don't know about the bus because we use the train.

The Carte Orange has been discontinued. It was replaced by the Navigo Pass. There is a Navigo Découverte for tourists.

We usually just buy a carnet of 10 Metro tickets and when we go to the airport or Versailles get a single ticket for that particular place.

I'm sure someone from Paris will soon log on and give you a more specific answer.

Enjoy your trip.

by Beausoleil

Hi. I checked the Metro web site for buses and they all seem to require multiple changes and take 2 hours or more. The train would be much easier. The RER C-5 is direct from St. Michel-Notre Dame station to Versailles Rive-Gauche station and is only 43 minutes. Most is above ground so you get to see the scenery (such as it is) on the way.

Good luck.

by goodfish

I'll just second Sally's comments that train is the best way. We, unfortunately, ran out of time and didn't get to go but had done a lot of reading on best way to get there - plus had input from our VT Versailles expert - and the train Sally has noted is THE best and fastest way to get there. You can buy a round-trip tickets from the ticket booths at RER stations that the C line runs on.

by goodfish

Pedro, I know they want the platform for Versailles/Rive Gauche, going OUT to Versailles, but because we didn't get to make the trip, I'm unsure of the terminus of that line coming BACK to Paris. ??? On the map, it looks like Massey-Palaiseau or Versailles-Chantiers?

by goodfish

I think you just answered my question, clever Pedro. :)
You mean like there is only one RER line back into Paris from Versailles so it's easy not to get confused?

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I got used to finding the right lines by terminus (end stations).

Thank you!

Travel Tips for Versailles

Winter in Versailles

by Brighterstar

I had been to the Palace of Versailles in summer and winter and I found that many items were borrowed out of the Palace during winter especially those in the Hall of Mirror, the centre of attraction leaving it quite bare.

Versailles - History I

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Versailles is located in southwest to Paris. It became known since 1624 when Lui the Thirteenth ordered to construct the small hunting castle there. The following French king - Lui the Fourteenth lead the reconstruction and by 1690 the Versailles Palace and park accepted the present view.

Size matters I guess

by shdw100

Versailles was just amazing to see. The sheer size of the complex just floored me! I could not believe that King's lived like they did, in such lavish surroundings. It was facinating the see the many different types of architecture, the gardens, the fountains, everything. Now I can see why the French started a revolution. Walking up the long, spacious cobblestone courtyard. I was shocked at the massive size of the place, with thoughts of what it was like with the royal aristocrats coming to a ball in their coaches. It was facinating!

The Best Time to visit Versailles

by bpacker

The best time to visit Versailles is actually on a weekday, after 3.30pm. Why? Simply because the annoying crowds would have thinned out by then and ticket prices are reduced . Fares are also reduced on Sunday but going there on a weekend plays havoc on your sanity. What, with snake like queues, elbows in your ribs and in your eye, can you remain sane?

Ticket Prices after 330pm
€7.50-> €5.50 ( Grand Palace)
€5-> €3 (Trianon Palaces)

You May Be Led to Visit the Musee de France

by hquittner

As part of crowd control (especially when there are lots of bus-tours barrelling through) you may be diverted to the North Wing. Either hurry through the long axis hall and look at nothing, or linger to examine what is here. Louis Philippe romanticallyproud of his role as "citizen king" (until his forced abdication in 1848) transformed Versailles into a museum (1833-37) installing the "Musee de l'Histoire de France" in the North Wing. As an extension of this he created the Coronation Room (seen last in the Royal rooms tour) and continuing on in this vein added in the South wing the 1792 room and the "Hall of Battles" depicting France's military victories. For much of the latter areas he commissioned 19C versions from the leading academicians and other well regarded painters. Be warned, you have to like this stuff, but a small glance will not hurt you. (I am not THAT familiar with this part of French history either and it did not increase my curiosity).

Comments