les 4 sources

Satisfaction No Data

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Anduze

Our siteOur site

The swimming poolThe swimming pool

Giant sequoiaGiant sequoia

Looking for my great-grandfathers village

by lynnfisher

I will be visiting France in August/September 2007 (I am from New Zealand) and have been given the name of my great-grandfather's village but I can't find it anywhere, maybe it is so small it does not rate being on a map. The name of the village I have been given is: Le Vagan, Gard. My great-grandfather's name was Charles Anduze. I have also been told that he came from Anduze?? Can anyone help either with the village or family members of my great-grandfather.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by ATLC

Maybe you mean Le Vigan? It's nearly 50 kms from Anduze.

by Steve51

check out www.viamichelin.co.uk.......
there is a Le Vigan in Gard so maybe that's it ?

by mpprh

Hi

Almost certainly we are talking about Le Vigan.

Anduze is a family name in the area.

My local phone book lists 74 references (say 30 after deducting Anduze Florist etc, etc). There are no Charles listed.

Peter

by ariaank

Hi there, I'm also a descendant of Charles Anduze and am currently doing our geneology. I'm also in NZ and would love to learn more and hear how your trip went.

Travel Tips for Anduze

Ancient house, now a bank

by JLBG

This ''hôtel particulier'' of a wealthy family of Anduze is in good condition. It is now a bank ! I have not found any information neither about the building of this ''hôtel particulier'', the period it was built and the name of its previous owners.

Tour de l'horloge

by JLBG

The ''Tour de l'horloge'' was built in 1320. It shares the same characteristics as the tower built in the middle of Aigues-Mortes city walls, with the bell on top of the tower, but hold by a metal framework that makes a kind of cage.

Typical house in the Cévennes

by JLBG

This is a typical house in the Cévennes. They use local stones for the walls. Most of the time, these local stones are granite. They also are often covered with slab of stones (''lauzes'') which are the most often thick slabs of schist.

Vaulted passage

by JLBG

A vaulted passage in the city of Anduze. It leads to an inner garden, far away from the street. It gives a pleasant contrast between the busy street and this small, calm and well protected garden.

When I visit a city, I have always a look on sideways. I feel that they are more revealing than the main ways ! How peaceful it is !

Old door

by JLBG

Some houses have kept their old door. The main entrance door is of carved wood. The wood is most often chestnut wood : the chestnut tree provided food for many years and when it had to be cut down, it provides wood for the carpenters.

Comments