Latour-de-Carol Hotels

Our Members Say

• Princess-Kitten profile photo Princess-Kitten
  • Reviews: 14

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Auberge Catalane: Great staff, great food!

We came here quite by accident after our car broke down, but I'm very glad we did!

The hotel/guesthouse is run by a lovely couple who really take a pride in their customer service. It's part of the 'Logis de France' chain which only means that the accommodation and food has to be of a very good standard - which it is! Otherwise it's unlike the usual soul-less 'chain' hotels you find.

The chef is an award winner, but the waitress let us in on a secret...the chambermaid, a middle-aged Polish lady, doubles as a cook and has shadowed the chef for years - hence her lunchtime dishes and salads are as excellent, if not better, than his. We've tasted both and can vouch for the truth of this!

(Look out for their gorgeous, but enormous cat, too!)

As Latour de Carol is in the catalan part of the Pyrennees the view is basically the huge mountain across the road! I would definately recommend you climb it too in good weather. The views are fantastic. In winter the place is a ski resort, so obviously there's snow everywhere then!

* * * * * * * * *

The menu is the same at both lunch and dinner, which I like. It gives you a chance to try most of the menu! Do what we do - share you food. It's ALL great!

Personal recommendations: The Atlantic prawns (my favourite!); Catalan chicken (with the chef's secret sauce!) and the Catalan Cream desserts.

* * * * * * * *

Children and pets not only welcome, but actively encouraged!

• Opinion of Price: about average