34 Quai de la Barrière, Meyrueis, 48150, France

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

A tight ship

"The first thing that crossed my mind was Fawlty Towers as Stella the dragon lady lurched out of the front door of her hotel sideways and yelled loudly down the road with her right hand waving vigorously beside her head, “Thank you for staying. See you next time”.
    It was so contradictory it was hilarious; days later we couldn’t stop laughing about how a lady that wouldn’t give you the time of day, told us to take the steps one day when she was in the lift, always spoke rapidly in French even though she was more than aware we knew nothing of what she was saying, could finally, at the very last seconds after 6 days, try and make like it had been wonderful having us there.
    Perhaps it was because the previous night was the first we hadn’t eaten there, perhaps it was because we made an effort to shake her hand after we paid the bill, perhaps it was that one of her staff tipped her off that I would write a report about her; no matter, we can’t stop smiling."

Unique Quality: Despite what I wrote above I would stay here again. Stella ran a tight ship and it was scrupulously clean. During breakfast each morning the staff knew what we liked and it was placed before us without us even having to ask after the first morning and they were genuinely friendly, despite the fact they had limited English.
    Dinner was always of a high standard (we ate here four nights) though our only meal down the road we deemed slightly better at the Hotel Grand.
    Out the back was a lovely garden that you were allowed to wander in and there was a pool though the weather would only be suitable for a couple of months I suspect.
    The internet was available but it was tricky at times.
    You could get a tea or coffee anytime but it cost you; there were no facilities for making same in the rooms.
    There was a lovely room on the second floor where you could have your tea as well and we utilized that on a couple of occasions.
    I liked the bathroom because everything worked, unlike many in France.
    The bed was comfortable and the room quiet (I suspect like everywhere in Mayrueis).

Comments