Ibis Sete Balaruc Les Bains

3, Avenue de la Pinede, Balaruc-les-Bains, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34540, France
Ibis Sete Balaruc Les Bains
Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

More about Montpellier

Close View of "chateau"Close View of "chateau"

Place Royale du Peyrou, Montpellier, France 2009Place Royale du Peyrou, Montpellier, France 2009

A building in AntigoneA building in Antigone

the famous Place de la Comediethe famous Place de la Comedie

want to meet some locals when we visit in early august

by Namtrag

My 17 year old son, who is a Francophile, and I will be visiting Montpellier for 5 days in early August. Dale (my son) is an excellent student of French and has taken the equivalent of 5 years of French. He was selected to attend a 3 week total immersion program through the state of Virginia, USA in late June. Then I am bringing him to practice his skills. I have even enrolled myself in beginner French classes through the local Alliance Francaise chapter and will have attended 6 2.5 hour classes before the trip.

I want not so much to be tourists when we come, but to hang out where the locals go. This is in order to force Dale to use his French. He has been warned by some French people who live in our area that you guys have a strange accent that will be hard for my son to understand. Is this true? Also, can you guys give me some suggestion of local pubs, restaurants, etc. where we can meet and make friends with some locals?

Also my final question: the stereotype of French people here in the USA is that you all hate Americans, and that you prefer us not to try to speak French because we aren't good at it. I hope neither of these stereotypes is true. I look forward to meeting and making friends with some French people. I look forward also to trying what little French I will learn in my classes, and hope you guys don't mind if I butcher it a little.

Mike

by Beausoleil

The French hating Americans things is very much a cliche. Don't believe it for a minute. Not only do they appreciate it when you attempt to speak French, they are very happy to help you improve your French skills. The worst problem we've had is when we speak French, they start speaking English to us. Understandably, they want to practice their skills too. If you continue to reply in French, they usually come around although you may have conversations with you speaking French and the French speaking English. That's okay too. You are both learning.

As far as finding locals, start with the people at your hotel . . . the workers. They are all local and usually love to talk about their city. Ask them where to go to eat and tell them your objectives.

Keep in mind that the French do not make friends on introduction like we Americans do. Friendship is a very special responsibility to them so they wait to see if they think you really have anything in common. However, the people that work in your hotel or attend your school will be more than happy to help and advise you . . . and you may make a few friends too. Your son will have no trouble making friends. Young people are much less formal.

When you go into a shop, be sure to say hello to the shopkeeper. She will reply. Then feel free to ask questions. You have a captive audience there. When you leave the shop, be sure to say thank you. This is the custom. Often people will enter and leave shops and restaurants and greet everyone in the place. It is ordinary good manners but it certainly makes you feel welcome.

You'll have a great time.

by Waoife

There don't seem to be as many English speaking tourists around Montpellier as other parts of the South of France (Nice, Cannes etc) so you should have plenty of opportunity to practice your French. There's loads to see in the area and often many of the locals aren't very confident of their English or have virtually none so they'll appreciate your efforts - at least that's been my experience of speaking French there with a really strong Irish accent :) Like most other Europeans, what really annoys the French is when English speakers make no effort at all and expect them to speak in English - even basics like hello, goodbye, please & thank you will be appreciated.

Have a good trip
Aoife

RE: RE: want to meet some locals when we visit in early august

by Namtrag

Thanks for the advice so far. Our travel agent, who is German, specifically suggested Montpellier because it is not a big tourist destination for Americans, and thus would be more "authentic", and my son will have to speak French more because of it.

I have never been to Europe before, so I am really looking forward to it. My only overseas travel has been to China when we adopted our daugter several years back.

by davidmtp1

Hi,

I live in montpellier and i will be glad to guide you in this great city. In early august i will have some free time so if you are still interested in meeting locals do not hesitate to email me.

David

Travel Tips for Montpellier

Bouzigues

by GUYON

The village of Bouzigues is on the bank of Etang de Thau.
It is the capital of the Oyster. Here the oyster is classified AAA that means it the best quality.
The mayor wants to transform the oysters parks in Marina to attract the tourists. It is a pity.

Abbaye de Valmagne

by GUYON

A 14° century, cystercian abbey transformed into a wine producing estate during the Revolution.

In Summer : it can be visited every day (except Tuesday) from 3PM to 6PM.
In other times : only on Sunday and ferial days 2:30PM to 6PM.

Guided tour in French.

See more in the travelogue.

You will find everything nice...

by sandravdp

You will find everything nice in the nature area The CAMARGUE. Here are wild horses and flamingoes. Here are salty and swampy terrains. You can go kayaking here, take a ride by train or go horsebackriding. Also visiting impressive caves and tasting wine are possibilities. For more information (addresses, phonenumbers and pictures) go see my TRAVELLOGUE!

Two days in Montpellier and surroundings

by jvleminc1

I spent two days in Montpellier, one day to see the city and to go out in the bar "Circus", one day to go to the beach and walk along the Mediterranean coastline. The city itself is really nice and a mix of different cultures, you can walk for hours in both the old and the new part and stroll along the thousands of small shops you find everywhere.

The public transport is good and if you buy a week ticket and use it intensively, it is pretty cheap as well. Some good advice is going to the sea for a walk (and swim, but not in December), there are good connections to/from Montpellier. I walked from Palavas to La Grande Mouche (quite famous for its strange architecture), but this is a bit too long walk, it is better to take the bus from time to time.

OAD Cycletours 1994 Bretagne

by Jaco_Emmen

"OAD Cycletours 1994 Bretagne"

Here my first picture about a trip to Bretagne in 1993 with a Dutch travelorganisation as a tour-guide and maintenance man during the period of two times 14 days.

On the picture me in front of my maintenance-car.

Comments