890 avenue Jean Mermoz, Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34000, France
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 14% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Montpellier

Inside the restaurantInside the restaurant

Smaller Recital Entrance SideSmaller Recital Entrance Side

Palais de la RegionPalais de la Region

laura,shane,me outside of rockstorelaura,shane,me outside of rockstore

public transport / Polygone

by madgame

Hello, Id like to ask 2 questions:

Is the public transport in Montpellier any good? Ive heard different opinions, but Ive also heard that one can get to the beach by bus in 20-30 minutes from the city center. Im really interested in the overall situation of public transport for getting around town.

How big is the Polygone quartier? The shopping mall and the surrounding area looked rather nice. Is that area bigger?:-)

THANKS!

by alza

just an opinion, I'm sure people living there can update with straight facts, but my brother lived nearby in a village and his wife took French lessons in Montpellier. She may have had rides into town often but I think they said that public transport was very good.

the Polygone is huge and a major meeting place. I was in Montpellier many times though didn't spend much time IN that shopping plaza. I like to be around the Egg, and little streets near the Cathedral. Sorry I know this is vague. I CAN say I like Montpellier a lot, have a cousin nearby so we visit often.

by Sarastro

The public transportation is quite good in Montpellier as the use of personal automobiles is discouraged.

Palavas les Flots is about 30 minutes by bus from the city center and is an excellent beach location with large sandy beaches.

thinking about relocating to southern France

by madgame

Thanks for the replies. Is Montpellier really as nice as Ive read? Does anybody happen to know what survey that was where Montpellier was voted the "ville préférée des Francais"?

I'm at a very strange/difficult point at my life (my whole circle of friends has been breaking apart, b/c most of my friends have moved elsewhere in Germany b/c of college or a job). I guess thats kind of normal at this point in life?

But I think its also a good opportunity at the same time as I really don't have any strong ties to Germany anymore (my family lives here, but unfortunately the relationship has never really been a very good one, in the first place..) and I'm really looking into the possibility of moving to another country and continue chapter 2 of my life...and as I can speak fluent French and love sunny weather (the German weather really gets me depressive), southern France seemed like a good choice for me. (Plus, Im in college and will have the opportunity to spend 2 semesters in Nice or hopefully in Montpellier)

Hopefully after my vacation to Nice and Montpellier, I'll still think the same way about it hehe. I know moving out is probably a very difficult process, but I guess if youve been to a location a few times on vacation and spend a year there during college, speak the language fluently and have made a few friends there along the way that should make things a lot easier.

Another thing that's really important to me is that the people are laid back, but I guess in southern France as everywhere in the mediterranean region(?) people are laid back and not stressed out as here in Germany or as probably in Northern France, too?

by wendyhmj

In central Montpellier public transport is good. 2 tramlines are open now... a 3rd on it's way.

The tram people also offer bike rental for Euro2 a day and you can subscribe to an hourly car rental service... even petrol is included... google Modulauto.

Travelling in from the villages is more problematical. The beach is only 6kms so in theory you could bike it.

Wendy
My blog http://wendyfrenchhelpservices.blogspot.com/

Travel Tips for Montpellier

Montpellier is a city that...

by grannysmith

Montpellier is a city that combines the old and the new gracefully.
Full of universities and students and close to the beach, it is also home to the oldest remaining botanical garden and the first medicine school (Montpellier was built in the 13th century).

The old city centre -L'Ecusson- is exclusively pedestrian and the new city centre is attached to it with its modern interpretation of ancient greek architecture. The effect can be unsettling but when you get used to it you can only love it! My first year in Montpellier, I arrived for the school year in september.
This was the beginnig of autumn which was already pretty cold for me. Trees without leaves lining the streets made me feel that everything was dying.

I was very homesick and fortunately, I was part of an association of tahitian students or I might have made use of my open ticket earlier than planned...

Christmas was the worst and I remember staying home for fear that I would miss my family's calls.

At least the holidays meant I didn't have to go out in that horrible cold! Plus the association was planning a big new year's eve party with ersatz tahitian food and real tahitian music so there were things to look forward to.

On the 31st, I was cutting out stars and moons as this was a costume party when my phone started ringing off the hook. It was snowing and had I seen it?!
Actually I hadn't as I was so busy, but that was the end of scissors and cardboard.

My friend and I went outside to play in the snow and I made a big ball which I kept in my freezer.

Our other tahitian friends were apparently trying to bodyboard down 0,1° slopes!
I had only seen snow once or twice before in NZ and never falling from the sky so I was very wide eyed!

That night, the streets were white and glowing yellow and blue under the lights, the sky was blacker than usual and a hush seemed to have descended onto the whole town except for occasional laughs and screams.

The party was great and I kept that ball of snow in my freezer for the whole year (which enabled me to buy healthier food as I didn't have much space left!) as I reminder of the night that I fell in love with my new home, however temporary.

Sete

by barryg23

The town of Sete, near Montpellier, is well worth a visit. We spent most of an afternoon here wandering round and getting lost looking for the beach. The beach was about 10-15 minutes walk outside the town and by the time we got back we were too tired to do any more exploring in Sete. It's a nice, quiet town and didn't have too many tourists.

Place de L'Europe

by salinhopt

This square is one of the most beautifull modern places in Montpellier. Next to a riverside and with wonderfull outdoor cafes, you'll have the chance to enjoy the climate and the fantastic scenary. Enjoy!

Montpellier - The Sun, the beach and the students

by Bob_Shan

"La Comedie"

"La place de Comedie" (The square of Comedie) is the commercial center of Montpellier.
Sitting at the coast of Mediterian sea, Montpellier has more than 300 sunny days in a year. There are many schools here, a lot of them are language schools. Schools together with the wonderful climates, Montpellier receives a large number of students from all over the world every year.

"Arc of Triumph"

"University of Medical"

This is probably the earliest medical / surgery university in the world.
Originally considered a betray to the God, surgery was prohibitated in early stage and this university was not allowed to provide medical services to the public in the very begining. But when time passed by, people realized that surgery does save life.

Saint - Guilhem - le - desert

by Bob_Shan

"Office of Tourism"

The office of Tourism, which was the first church in Saint Guilhem, was used as headquartes of "Free France" during WWII.

BTW, this village was found in 804.Till this year, the history of St. Guilhem is as long as 1200 years!

"Le Pont de Diable"

The bridge was built with great difficulties, and people even though the bridge was built by devil (in French: diable). So people call this bridge " Le Pont de Diable"

Comments