Citea Nimes

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Ex-Citea now it's Adagio Access

This is an apart-hotel so there isn't a 24-reception, so we were kinda scared to arrive before their open hours. We tried to call the hotel to warn them about our late check-in but the line was always busy, so in the end, we send them an e-mail. Later on, we managed to get hold of them on the phone and they assured us that we would be open when we arrive (during the week: reception is open until 9 PM and on weekdays: until 6 PM - if you arrive after those times, contact the hotel before their closing hours and they will give an access code and instructions on how to get your room key).

When we arrived, we entered right away on their underground parking lot. Just so you know, the parking spaces are numbered according to your room number. At the time we didn't know, so we parked at one free spot. The thing is to use their elevator without leaving the building, you need a special key, which you only get it when you check-in (IF they have that key, because some guests don't give them back). And of course, when we checked-in, our allocated parking space didn't have this elevator key, so we were obliged to get to the parking lot from the outside. One of the downsides is that there is no wi-fi access in the room, however if you have a computer, they can borrow you an internet cable.

Our studio had a bathroom with a bath, a small equipped kitchen and the bedroom, it was rather spacious and clean, but the acoustic wasn't great as we could hear doors banging loudly. We had a crazy person next-door because he/she wouldn't stop ringing our door and trying to open it. Since there wasn't a door peep-hole, we didn't go to look who was outside. The person got tired and gave up. When we went out, he/she was no longer there.

We got back after 9 PM, so we had to use the access code to get inside.

We paid for the breakfast, I think it was a little less than 8 €. It wasn't that great, especially if you are into salty things like myself. No cold meats nor cheese. I ate some mini-croissants with cream-cheese... I may be blind, but I didn't see any fruit as it was advertised. Just a warning, during the week breakfast is served between 7h30 and 9h30 AM. Too early in my opinion.

Honestly, this place is only good for one night.

Unique Quality: Location: Across the train station and less than a 10-minute walk to the Arènes.

Equipped kitchen: we brought some micro-waved dishes and spared going out for dinner (spending money).

Directions: Across the train station

More about Nîmes

Les ArenesLes Arenes

Sparkling shaded canalSparkling shaded canal

Matador and Nimes ArenesMatador and Nimes Arenes

Nîmes ArenaNîmes Arena

NIMES OR AVIGNON,MONTPELLIER OR MARSEILLE?

by englishman007

We will be arriving Nimes Monday evening with Ryanair. Should we stay in Nimes or is ther more nightlife elsewhere- we'll only be in the area for three nights- so we don;t really want to end up in a town that closes up at 8 on Monday. So any ideas on how to plan the itinerary appreciated. Maybe Marseilles Monday night, Avignon Tuesday and Nimes Wednesday? Or simply stay in marseilles the whole time? One more question- does anyone know if it is easy to get to see the old Air France caravelle in a field near Avignon? Anf the air museum at Montelimar? Are they close by and easily accesible?
many thanks
Mike Herring

by Babzz

It depends on what your priorities are. What are you most interested in seeing and doing? Marseille will certainly have more of a night life and is a must see, but Nimes is really pretty also and worth spending a day there in my opinion. I haven't been to the other towns. Since you're on a tight schedule I'd recommend doing two places max.

by ATLC

I've been in all 3 towns and I would concur with the previous poster.
But I would recommend Avignon to stay. It has the famous Papal Palace, the Pont d'Avignon and loads of bars and restaurants. I spent 3 days there and visited also on another occassion.
Nimes has a fascinating Roman arena and some nice shopping. I came there often during a month holiday in the nearby village Nages-et-Solorgues.
Marseille has a lively harbour with a fish market early (very early!) mornings and you should eat the famous bouillabaisse there. I didn't think it was much a town for sightseeing.

by englishman007

many thanks!!

by ATLC

You're welcome!
If you like, visit my Avignon page. It has a nice hotel and restaurant tip in the same street in the center of town, which I certainly recommend (if they still exist of course :-)
It's walkable from the station, although I remember being tired.

Travel Tips for Nîmes

Graffiti

by leics

One of the 'aisles'of the Temple de Diane in Les Jardins de la Fontaine has been restored with more 'modern' stone, which can clearly be seen.

I suspect these stones date from the time when the temples ruins were used as a church in Medieval times.

But the 'off-the-beaten track' thing is the graffiti. Go down the covered 'aisle' to your right as you enter the temple (steps lead there from the 'altar' end). Look carefully at the more modern stones: some (not all) of the graffiti is fascinating.

The photo shows graffiti dating from 1844, so it is now of historical interest in itself.

The Amphitheater (Arenas)

by roamer61

The magnificent amphitheater is twin to a similar one in the city of Arles. But this one is better preserved. It was constructed between the late 1st Century AD and the early 2nd Century. As with the Collessium in Rome, this was used by all the favorite sporting activities. Gladitorial contests and fights using wild beasts. Its dimensions are 436ft by 331ft and its seating capacity was 24,000.

After 400, its original use was forbidden and the Visigoths transformed it into a fortress. It was later transformed into a castle and eventually, it was restored in the 19th century. Today, as in the distant past, it is used for Bull Fights, echoing the past.

The Ferria (or Festival of the Bull) was coming, so the interior was closed during my visit.

Pont du Gard

by antistar

Not strictly in Nimes, but accessible from it, this impressive Roman construction is the only remaining three tier Roman aqueduct in the world. Buses to the Pont du Gard run regularly from behind the train station in Nimes, take about an hour, and cost about 10 euros for a return ticket. It's a local bus, not a tour, so you'll need to organise your visit yourslef. The bus drops you a short walk away from the aqueduct, and it isn't terribly well sign-posted, so you will probably have to ask the bus driver, or the locals, for some help.

The curious thing about this aquaduct is how it appears on the five euro note. The new European currency was meant to depict typical European architecture, but wasn't mean to depict any specific building. This was because they didn't want to show any favouritism to any one nation or city. Someone obviously had the bright idea of showing an Roman aquaduct, a structure found across Europe and symbolic of a shared history. The only problem is the model they decided to draw had three tiers, and as I mentioned earlier, the only one of these in existence is in Nimes.

Nimes

by Julie1and2

"A summer in Nimes"

When I was in grad school I spent a summer studying in Nimes, France. The six weeks in Nimes was one of the best times of my life. I really got to know Nimes well. The French spoken there is much easier to understand than in Paris. The people are super friendly and not as used to Americans as they are in the larger more touristy cities.

Mr_Furious's new Nimes Page

by Mr_Furious

Nïmes is a very beautiful city in the south of France. It has much to offer to the visitor and is worth at least a day.

I past through here on the way back home from France, but surprised by it's beauty I decided to break my journey and spend an extra day here, something I have never regretted

Comments