Premiere Classe Nimes

Medieval headMedieval head

Pont du Gard, near NîmesPont du Gard, near Nîmes

bus from Nimes to Montpellier

by njbigwig

Hi, My name is steve and i will in landing nImes on march 4th but traveling to montpellier the same day. I know that there are trains that connect the two for about 7.50. But i saw on the montpellier city bus website that a local route(101 i think) goes from montpellier to nimes and nimes to montpellier. I was wondeiring if anyone could tell me a little more about this bus. How much it costs? if it's worth it? etc. Thanks for your time. steve

Re: bus from Nimes to Montpellier

by cubsur

The 101 bus runs from Montpellier to Nimes but only twice a day Mondays to Saturdays and none on Sundays.

is the timetable.

The starting point is one of the tram stations on the outskirts of Montpellier.

Looks like the train for you.

Re: bus from Nimes to Montpellier

by mpprh

Hi

The problem with this is that the bus services are regional. Montpellier is in Herault, Nimes is in Gard. Most buses stay within their dept borders. So, also look at Nimes - Sommieres & Sommieres - Montpellier and Nimes - Lunel & Lunel - Montpellier as possible routes.

Bonne chance

Peter

Travel Tips for Nîmes

Is this taking the revolution too far ?

by sourbugger

When the revolution occurred in 1789, the founders of the new state fought in the name of equality. They probably never realised it would end up in unisex toilets.

I found some at Nimes aiport recently - and you can find some comments following a forum posting of the same topic on 31/10/03

This was the initial posting :

Unisex toilets.

Is nothing sacred ? I entered one of these arrangements at a french airport. I'm as much for equality and women's right as the next modern man - but don't take away our urinals !

I thus had to wait ! (see how silly this idea is) for a cubical to become vacant. A woman exited and I went in. So far everything was OK - but then I saw that the toilet seat was up. Either she was a very thoughful woman or she was hiding something.

Either way, this equality in the bathroom department is an appauling attack upon personal freedom and should be confined to one of the dustbins of history.

Visit the Arenes

by aliante1981

It was pretty surprising to me to find out that one of the best preserved Roman amphitheatres is situated in Nimes! After seeing it, I fully confirm the story:))) Seriously now, the Arenes dominate the town as different sights in other places I have seen do. If you are lucky to come in summer, you will see an opera performance, as I did during my trip. For those who love corrida (or just want to find out how it looks) Nimes also offers such a chance

Why does it have a best before date ?

by sourbugger

The source of Perrier water is a few kilometers to the south-west of Nimes.

Rather like many breweries, the plant has introduced a tour with sampling afterwards.

For only five euros, the tour itself lasts about an hour.

Most of it consists of walking along a long high gallery built down one side of the factory floor. At various point videos are played (with English Subtitles) whilst you can look out over the vast complex as the workers, and there seem to be very few of them, tend the vast machines.

The factory itself is a very good example of what is called in business circles 'Vertical integration'. Perrier actually owns quarries where the raw materials for glass are found, the glass is made on-site, the bottles filled, packaged and sent on their way via a fleet of trucks and railway wagons.

The gallery is also decorated witha long line of empty bottles set into the wall...one is tempted to start singing... there are 14,567 green bottles hanging on the wall, and if one green bottle...and so on Ad Nausuem.

One final Question. If the water has slowly perculated through the ground for thousands of years before it is bottled - why does Perrier have a best before date on it ?

Pont du Gard near Nimes

by Toshioohsako

"Pont du Gard and Gardon River"

Pont du Gard was used to send water to Nimes in Roman times. It is 4m high and 275m long. It was build by piling big stones (some weighs 6 tons). It is estimated that it was built aroun 1.5th century. Enjoy this magnificent ancient masterpiece!

"Going further, turning left and shoot"

You walk the other side of Pont du Gard from the direction you come from, you will see its beauty in harmony with the nature,

"Reflection of Pont du Gard"

It was a beautiful day when we visited the site, luckily, we saw the beautiful reflection of Pont du Gard on the still water Gardon River.

Nimes, and Pont du Gard

by rwlittle

"Welcome to the birthplace of denim!"

The third stop on our 2003 vacation in France...

We arrived in Nimes on May 6th, from Carcassonne, by train, and took a taxi to our hotel. After checking in, we started walking the city to see the sights.

Nimes was settled by Gauls, and then claimed and fortified by the Romans. There are signs all throughout the city of the Roman era: an amphitheatre, Roman buildings, Roman walls, and even the sight where the Roman Pont du Gard delivered water to nourish the city. The original settlement was located at a natural spring, but the needs of the city must have far outstripped the spring in Roman times, necessitating the building of the great Roman acqueduct.

In more recent times, the fabric denim ("de Nimes") was developed here.

Being early May, various plants were in bloom. There was something in the air which sent Michelle's allergies going, and my eyes watering and nose running as well. I'm not convinced I was having an allergic reaction, as I've never been allergic to anything before; I think that the air was just so thick with pollen, that my body was forced to conduct purging operations. Ugh.

"A Roman engineering marvel!"

This aqueduct and bridge was built approximately 2000 years ago by the Romans, to bring water to Nimes. On May 7th, we took a local bus from the Nimes bus station (near the train station), and toured the Pont du Gard. As opposed to our bus trip to les Baux, the buses ran on time, both there and back. We snacked on sandwiches and fruit by the river, after having crossed the bridge.

"Map of Nimes"

I think I got this map from the tourist office website...

Comments