Arriel Astrid

More about Lourdes

LourdesLourdes

Hotels in Lourdes

by indymuth

Hi, I'll be traveling to Lourdes alone in December (entering from Spain). Right now I have two bookings (double book) with two hotels, Du Monge and Arcades. Does anyone have advice which one I should choose and why? Also, if anyone can advise me anything on Lourdes, please do so, as I'm going alone and this is my first time to go there! Thanks a lot.

by pilgrim55

I am not familiar with those hotels. There are many places to stay in Lourdes and that was not my focus while there. I think that the baths are closed in the winter. But, as it is your heart's desire to go to Lourdes, I am sure it will be a beautiful moving experience for you. It was for us and we would love to return someday.

by indymuth

If the bath is closed, then what else can I do there regarding pilgrimage or spiritual journey? I am not going to be a tourist there, I'll go as a pilgrim. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

by Beausoleil

Hi. I've never been there in December but I suspect the Grotto will be open and there will be Masses offered. I don't know if they have the evening candlelight service but that is a wonderful experience too.

You can check the official Lourdes web site at http://www.lourdes-france.com/ and then click on the flag for the country of the language you speak. It's in English, French, Italian, Spanish and German among other languages.

It is a great inspiration to visit. I hope you enjoy your trip.

by pilgrim55

We were there in September a few years ago and at that time the baths were going to close in mid-October, I think. As there were so many people lined up for the baths that seemed so much much more in need of the baths that I was, I didn't go into the baths. I hope some day to return for that purpose.
But, the nightly procession and the Masses held there were beyond belief - they were so beautiful. Even just walking on the grounds and along the river there were spiritually uplifting. It is truly very holy ground. There are also many shops in town where you can buy all sorts of religious articles too. There are also some other historical sites you can visit in the town of Lourdes too.

by pilgrim55

Oh - so sorry. I just went to their website and I think the baths ARE open during the winter. I am so sorry. I must have had that mixed up with the candlelight procession at night. Je suis desolee - lo siento.

by indymuth

Thanks so much for advice. By the way, do you know how to get to Barcelona from Lourdes, the most certain and quickest way?

Hi pilgrim55,
Thanks so much for suggestions. I now can't wait to be there. Seems like Lourdes is not just an inspirational pilgrim place, but also beautiful. I'm glad I made a plan to be there. Can't wait to be there, actually.

by Beausoleil

You could fly into Pau and take a bus. It might be easier to take the train. You can check the Spanish web site for trains. Perhaps someone will give you the URL because I don't have it. I did check the French train web site and you may be able to purchase tickets through them. That URL is http://www.sncf.com

Check plane, bus and train for schedule and price.

Good luck.

Travel Tips for Lourdes

NATURE at Pyrenees Mountains

by Hosell

Lourdes it is located in the beautiful mountains of the Pyrenees,you can find in the area very nice Nationals and Naturals Park some of the best in France and also of Spain.If you visit the area during winter you can find very close also some very good ski resorts.In summer you can explore the mountains and caves and do hikking and other sports.

Comments