Hotel Eliseo

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Lourdes

Main HallMain Hall

Trip from Lourdes (France) to Bilbao (Spain).

by lumbalumba

Hi everyone, anybody can help me how to go from Lourdes to Bilbao by train? I'm planning to get Eurail pass for France-Spain. I tried to search the website, but I found that need at least 13 hours from Lourdes to Bilbao because need to change train & transit in some cities.
Is there any shortest way??
Thanks.

by Iowa2

We made the trip in much less time and with only one train change.

I'm on the road and away from my information or I could give you specifics.

I remember that we couldn't get the information to figure out exactly the connection, but took the train to the last town along the line in France anyway. We figured that it wasn't logical for it to just end with no furthur connection.

When we got off, we asked two students how to go on to Bilbao and they said, "Get onto that train that is just leaving, NOW!"

Enjoy Bilbao. It is one of our favorite places. The food is fantastic.

Hi There,
thanks for your prompt reply.
May I know what's the name of the last city in France that the train pass (which is near the border to Spain)? What I know the nearest city to the border is Spain is Irun.

Thanks

by Roadquill

I would look first to going to Pau or Biarritz and then consider a bus, especially from Biarritz. It is 165km from Lourdes to Biarritz. It is about a 45 minute bus ride to San Sebastian and then another hour or so to Bilbao. When I checked into taking trains in Northwestern Spain, I found them very indirect and the buses much simpler and direct.

by Iowa2

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but I just got back in town.

Yes, it was Irun.

We had figured that there must be a regular bus connection and even would have considered a taxi if all else failed.

We may just have gotten lucky.

by lumbalumba

Hi Roadquill & Iowa2, thanks very much for your info. I'll try when I get there. Can't wait for my holiday =)

Travel Tips for Lourdes

Working As A Volunteer for the Sick People

by listenandlearn

Since child hood it was always my dream to visit Lourdes, France and from the very first time my husband took me to Lourdes as often as the opportunity came, I was ready to drop other engagement and come to Lourdes.
Our volunteer work started three years ago, when we arrived in Lourdes as early as 5 in the morning, and after we settled into our little hotel (not a fancy hotel, as all we needed was to hung our hats and spend all day at the santuary). As my husband and I were passing by the main entrace, on our left side was the hospital for the sick and needed, and overheard someone saying that many volunteers could not come because there was a terrible storm in the neighboorhood. So, we started talking to this lady who happens to be in charge of the people using a wheel chair, and they started us in the kitchen. There in the kitchen you are to prepare and be extra careful of preparing the diet food of the patience, then the following year we enquired how we could volunteer pushing the patience to the grotto for the 9pm rosary which was one of the most touchies way of praying to the Blessed Virgin Mary. There after each year when our time permits we then would make arrangement doing more days of volunteers which we truly enjoy so very much. It is so lovely meeting all kinds of people, all walks of life, all kinds of people with different kinds of religion, wealth, culture and just from every part of the world. Lourdes makes us very grateful for all what we have and always thankful for what we are and what we have. May God Bless You All. The many times we can offer our volunteer service to the sick and needed. The very very very first time I came to Lourdes, it certainly was a very strong impact on my soul. Outside the Santuary, one will and may conclude that it is getting to be quite commercialized, however, once your in the grotto you would then understand why all those stores are selling the religious items. Just praying the the Blessed Mother is a given tranquility on our life. Then when your time permits it would be quite interesting as well to visit the museum. It is only about three minutes from the shrines, via the "ascenseur de L´Egalite", the Lourdes Museum presents an audío - visual experience, Lourdes as large as life at the time of the visions, showing everyone the extraordinary story of Bernadette.When speaking of the Sanctuary: Many and most visitors even the pilgrims when you look up to the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes, is invited to look beyong the grey clouds of his or her own existence toward the heaven in order to allow himself to be bothered in the light from above. Although, whenever we are in Lourdes, what my husband and I look forward to is the 9pm rosary and the many beautiful songs "AVE, AVE, AVE, MARIA", as we sing that to Our lady of Lourdes, it seems that it automatically puts tears into my eyes, it certainly such a very beautiful song for Our Blessed Mother. "AMEN".

Comments