Excelsior

82, rue Riquet, Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, 31000, France

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Toulouse

Basilique de Saint-Sernin (Toulouse, France)Basilique de Saint-Sernin (Toulouse, France)

Remains of Central Place of the BastideRemains of Central Place of the Bastide

Cloister View with Arcade Fragment (view East)Cloister View with Arcade Fragment (view East)

An ApostleAn Apostle

Student looking for accomodation in Toulouse (Sep 2006)

by hellownurse

Hi all, really would love some good advices. I'm a student from Singapore who's gonna embark on my uni education in Toulouse. It's my first time in Toulouse, hence I'm totally clueless about this city. First of all, I've encountered numerous problems trying to find a house. Firstly, being an individual, I'm not entitled to CROUS houses, which are reserved for scholars or exchange students. Secondly, the school doesn't seem to be very helpful. I've emailed them asking for help in accomodation, what they gave me is a list of houses, which I've already known.

Searching through the list of houses, I called up a few potential agencies like PROMOLOGIS, replies were negative. First of all, PROMOLOGIS told me that reservation for sep 2006 only starts in July. I'm not sure if that's true, as I don't want to end up being late. I've also called another agency, who insist on me going down to Toulouse, checking out the room, and making the reservation in person, at their office. This is totally not possible, as I live in Singapore! That's like a 13 hours of flight plus 5 hours of train ride! And I do not have the extra money to do that. Moreover, I've explained to him regarding my current situation, and that I have to make a reservation in order to apply for a student visa. He doesn't seems to care about my current situation, and told me that booking a room through phone is impossible. Hence I guess this agency is not that friendly towards foreign students...

I'm having a real hard time finding a place to live in. I've emailed to numerous pple who have posted ads on the classified or apartarger.com, however none has replied.

What's more rediculous? I've tried to call up Les Recollets since last week, up till today, all I can get is a voice message which states that he's not available right now. When on earth will he be available then??? This totally spoils my image of Toulouse... Thinking this is only the beginning of the hardship which is yet to come...

by Beausoleil

Until someone picks up on this and answers, may I suggest you type Toulouse into the VT search window above. This is a Destination search.

When you get your replies, click on the Hotels and Accomodations Tips. At least some of them will be for apartments.

Another suggestion is to try http://www.gites-de-france.fr/eng/index.htm
This is the web site for Gites de France. They have houses to rent very inexpensively all over France. What many people don't know is that they also have apartments for rent . . . also pretty inexpensive. It's worth a look.

Toulouse is a lovely city. Don't be discouraged.

Good luck.

by WendyHunt

Hello

We are experiencing the same problem with finding student accommodation. We are from Australia and contacted one for the student residences to be told that we had to know someone in Toulouse to book our accommodation for us. Agree that for a university town, there appears to be very little consideration for foreign students.

by Beausoleil

You could also try http://www.holiday-rentals.com/World/r1.htm and see if they have an accomodation in Toulouse that they would be willing to let on a long term. We've done this on occasion and they usually give a nice break on the price for long-term lets.

From what you've said, this is certainly worth a try. So is the Gites-de-France I mentioned earlier. You don't have to be vacationers; you just need a place to live for a while.

Good luck.

Travel Tips for Toulouse

The catedral St.Etienne

by Klod5

Many historian assigns the first building to St.-Exupere that is to the origin of the construction of St.-Sernin in the V th century.

In the XI th century, bishop Isarn undertakes the reconstruction of the cathedral.

Of the XIII th century subsists the nave, to three bays, so-called " raymondine ", because its construction is assigned to Raymond VI following his absolution June 18, 1209 in the abbey of St.-Gilles.

The facade of 1230 is endowed with a duplicate portal, constructed by Sailor Baudry in the XV th century. I don't like the cathedral St.-Etienne for several reasons :

- It has been constructed then revised at very different times, and the successive builders don't seem to have worried of what had been constructed before. The result is this nave that is not in the axis of the apse, of the styles so different (of the Romane to the Gothic and to the Baroque...) that one doesn't know anymore where our reference marks are. Is it to wonder how the believers find again in this place, to what holy to vow themselves ?

- The cathedral is also the place of cult of the upper middle class toulousian. At the time of certain commemorations the access to this place of cult is filtered more or less so that the gratin of the society, those that take themselves for the elite (the Toulouse of in top, according to a famous expression) are not obliged to undergo the people's presence.

My feeling for this monument is therefore of the to artistic and architectural considerations, but as sociological and political.

Saturday Market

by mikey_e

Lots of cities still have market days, and in Toulouse Saturday happens to be the day when farmers and other gather in the Place du Capitole to sell their wares. This isn't really a farmers' market in the sense that you can only purchase edible goods. On the southern part of the Place you will find all the delectable edibles - baked goods, fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, olives, sweets and the like. As I was staying in a hotel, I didn't buy anything that needed to be prepared, but the baked goods were to die for.

The northern side of the square hosts all the non-edible stalls, which are, of course, dominated by booksellers. There are a few people who come in to sell things related to home repairs or cheap clothes, but your best bet is actually with the booksellers. I picked up a few cheap paperbacks to tide me over from Toulouse to Barcelona - including Rivières pourpres, an excellent book, but it scared me out of sleeping from San Sebastian through to Barcelona. In general, a great way to replenish your physical and intellectual energy before heading off to more siteseeing in Toulouse.

What ALBI is very well known...

by miaou

What ALBI is very well known for is the birthplace of the painter Toulouse-Lautrec whose artwork includes depiction of Paris' prostitutes and cabaret. His birth home is off-limits but there is a sign outside on the wall. There is also a museum if you're hungry for more- Musée Toulouse-Lautrec north side of the cathdral.

Le Pere Louis

by s_odyssey about Le Pere Louis

THE ELDEST BAR OF TOULOUSE (1889)

"Quinquina" tasting. This bar dates back to the 19th century and while keeping all of its authencity (100 yrs old bottles covered in dust), you will be able to taste the local wines.

Quinquinas and tap: 2.28 EUR
Coffee: 1.22 EUR

45, rue des Tourneurs
(Cartier: Carmes/Esquirol)
Tel. 05 61 21 33 45

It's where I live. I like this...

by irem

It's where I live. I like this neighbourhood because of its cultural diversity. You can find here various restaurants (chineese, indian, marocain..) and also lots of bars so that's why there are many people around until 2-3 a.m.

Comments