Le Relais des Saveurs

The town map, DunkerqueThe town map, Dunkerque

Travel Tips for Dunkerque

Dunkerque

by beetlebummer

"I've been to France...yeay!"

Again...this trip to France was courtesy of my Uncle Farid, who, again, drove me all the way to France. This trip, was a surprise as I wasn't informed about it not until I saw the sign boards on the road! It is also my first time in France...yipee! We headed for Dunkerque, an 8th century town, that started off as a simple fishing harbour. It later became infamous as a haven for pirates. This town later, was about 80% destroyed during the World War II. (well...did my research guys...)

"Statue of Jean Bart"

Jean Bart is a legendary pirate, born in Dunkerque in 1650. Stories were that he saved the nation from starvation by taking over a convoy of ships with wheat, thus making him well known. He was buried in St. Eloi's church. You can find his statue, however, at the main square.

"The Belfry"

Initially a watch tower in the thirteenth century, the tower was turned into the steeple of St.Eloi's church, two centuries later. There is a Cenotaphe at the base of the Belfry. It was inaugurated in 1923 as an homage to the victims of the World War I.

Comments