History of Lille
Lille was developed via the Deûle River which was a major route between the Flemish towns and the Champagne fairs. Lille actually became French when the town was conquered by Louis XIV in the midst of the War of Devolution in 1667.
Throughout its history Lille has been Flemish, Burgundian, Spanish, French and Dutch, before returning French once and for all in 1713 with the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht.
The Citadelle can be found...
The Citadelle can be found just outside of the centre ville and is accessible by metro. This monument is in the shape of a pentagon and still houses the French military and its operations in and around Lille. In the center of the walled pentagonal shape in the operations and main buildings. People may have guided tours from May to August 3-5pm. The surrounding areas include a very pretty park and walkways which are open to the public.
For guided tours call the Office of Tourism at 03.20.21.94.21
To get to the parks and Citadelle by bus take the #14 busline.
This photo provided by the Lille Office of Tourism.
In an old house, that has been renovated many times. The old walls show something of the old structures, because the plaster of the walls is taken away. Find a place in the back part of the restaurant.
The food is typical modern french cuisine of good quality, with a choice of fish, beef, lamb and so on. But they also have some Flemish meals.
Rue Faidherbe is the street between the train station and the historical centre. It's a broad street full of shops. It used to be a big, busy street full of cars. The mayor, however, has decided to make a 'rambla' of this street like the ramblas in Barcelona. So sidewalks have been broaden and passage for cars diminished.
The work of art "Une odysée des creatures mécanique" that you can see here was part of "Lille 2004". It will probably no longer be there after 2004.
Office du Tourisme de Lille
The Lille Tourist Office is located in the former gothic chapel of a 15th century palace built by the Duke Philippe the Good of Burgundy (Palais Rihour). Most of this building was badly damaged by fire and remained empty until it was renovated for its current use.
The centre is a good source of maps and tourist information. The Tourist Office also offers a range of guided tours, including minibus tours, walking tours of the old city, visits of the belfry and battlefield tours. Also available for sale within the office are the usual postcards, guides and books, gift ideas, regional specialities and local arts and crafts.
Monday to Saturday: 9:30 am to 6:30 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm