4 Rue De Tournai, Lille, 59800, France

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Hotel Chopin

If you are looking for an elegant, luxurious hotel with impeccable round-the-clock service, then you had better look elsewhere, because this is just a very basic hotel for those of us who simply need a place to sleep and shower.

The location is very convenient, just across the street from the main railway station Lille Flandres.

I booked a single room for three nights through booking.com for all of 49 Euros per night. The room was very small (14 qm) but it was clean and reasonably quiet and it had en suite facilities a.k.a. a private shower and toilet.

It also had a flat-screen TV, which I didn’t use, and free WiFi, which I didn’t use either because my browser said it was uncertified and potentially unsafe. This was strange because my virus checker is usually the one that tells me such things, but in this case it was the browser. I could have overruled the warning, but decided it wasn’t worth the risk, so I went across the street a couple times to McDonald’s and used their free WiFi, which worked fine and had no strings attached, i.e. you don’t actually have to eat their stuff just to use their wireless internet.

The hotel does not provide breakfast, but there are several small restaurants in the neighborhood.

Address: 4 Rue de Tournai, 59000 Lille, France
    Directions: V’Lille bicycle station 25, Gare Lille Flandres
    Phone: +33 3 20 13 10 10
    Website: http://www.hotel-chopin-lille.com/

Next: Lille Europe train station

More about Lille

Funky gibbon at workFunky gibbon at work

ExplanationExplanation

Grand PlaceGrand Place

The station as a light palace!The station as a light palace!

Le Paradis, Lestrem

by skypilot01

I am hoping in the near future to travel from Dundee, Scotland, to Lille, with the intention of visiting a war grave at Le Paradis (Paradis) near Lestrem.

I can get to Lille without any problem, either by Bus, Train or Flight, but can anyone tell me what transport facilities are available from Lille to Lestrem (nr Estaires or Merville) as I do not have my own transport?

Any help to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation

Donald

Re: Le Paradis, Lestrem

by Dunx

Hi Donald

I think that the link you want is this one:
See the dropdown menu for 'Les horarires bus suburbain'.

Services 210, 211 and 213 look to be the best bet. The 210 from Lille goes as close as La Gorgue, close to Lestrem. The 211 goes from Armentieres (train from Lille to Armentieres) and serves Lestrem itself. The 213 goes from the Calmette metro station in Lille to Estaires.

It's worth picking up a good IGN map, ideally in the 1:25000 series, to help you pick the best stop and the shortest walk to Le Paradis.

I read the story of Le Paradis on the CWGC website - it's very moving. Hope you find your way there OK. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Cheers,

Dunx

Re: Le Paradis, Lestrem

by skypilot01

Hi Dunx,

Sorry for the delay in reply, still pretty new to this forum :-)

Your information has been extremely helpful. The 210 (Lille to Porte d'Arras) looks like the best bet so I need only orientate myself and polish up my French now as "je parle an peu le francaise !!" Thanks for the offer of future help, too !!

Regards

Donald

Travel Tips for Lille

OSC Lille soccer

by Renescheffer

When in Lille you can visit a game of OSC Lille in the Premier French division.
The stadium is in the old citadel parc a 20 min walk from the center. I visted matches against Bordeaux and Sedan (relegation game in 1999). The stadium is old and but has her charm. I like the typical french way of making noise (Buuuuuuuuut ddddeeee LLLLilllllle) and colourfull visualisation of commercial messages on the shrits and in the stadium.

Don't miss the Tartines Chaudes!

by Beekz about L'arrière Pays

This cozy place in the center of Lille is really worth to go for some food or a tea and some pie. In this place they have "tartines chaudes" or hot breads: 2 slices toasted and covered with different vegetables and/or meat. I had one with eggplant and sun dried tomatoes... YUMMY!

A good second-best!

by hawkhead about Le Bistrot Lillois

We had already been to 'T Rijsel and couldn't get it to Chez La Vieille (also on the same street, about three doors up). This restaurant has more of a clinical atmosphere compared to the other two. However, the food was good, just not outstanding. I think if we hadn't already been to 'T Rijsel, then we would have been more impressed. I had pork loin in jus and my husband had carbonade. Again, good but again, the presentation was slightly clinical, not rustic. However, the beer tart was outstanding!

Genie Inventif...

by mickebear

Old Bourse is now a flea market for books, you can really find some rarities here.

One of the things that I saw only recently, was a motto in the courtyard, Au Genie Inventif, or inventive genius...

Paroisse du Sacré Coeur

by grayfo

The Church of the Sacred Heart is a Neo-Gothic Roman Catholic church that was built by Jules Batigny between 1875 and 1898. The church became a national historic monument in 1983. The stained glass windows are located in the axial chapel (Chapelle du Vœu) and were made around 1890. It is one of the largest churches in Lille.

June 2010