Arcantis Hotel De Champagne

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Angers

The Maine RiverThe Maine River

Chapter House Door Arch and CloisterChapter House Door Arch and Cloister

John(lt) and part of a setJohn(lt) and part of a set

The PulpitThe Pulpit

logement- where to live?

by cristiana04

hi there, I know that maybe it is not the appropriate place to post this question, but I will try. I am going to live in Angers, so I would like to know which district (quartier) is good to live. I mean well located in terms of transport, shopping and neighbor. How about close to university or city center? I will appreciate all information! thanks!

Re: logement- where to live?

by realgille

try to fing a room or an apartment in the historic part .Between the station and Saint Maurice Cathedral and Quartier Saint Serge) the other part La Doutre is nice too
Angers is a nice parisian style town , but still affordable (go on google and find the sites on Angers and first the plan) There are sites where you can post an advert to rent something.
Angers is a town with 2 famous university (the cahtolic university is welcoming students coming in France to learn the french

Re: logement- where to live?

by engeluna

I studied there in 2002 and lived in city center (rue leon pavot). Several of my friends lived near the university. I think I was happier, even having to get up earlier for the bus because I was closer to everything else (shopping, eating, etc.). So I would recommend city center. I hope you have a great time. Angers is great!

Travel Tips for Angers

Fete de la Musique

by TimDaoust

Every summer on June 21st in every city in Europe (plus various others on almost every continent, including in the US in NYC, LA and of all places Carrboro, NC...right down the road from me) there is an evening of free music known as la fete de la musique... at least in France it is. I wrote my paper and did my 5 minute presentation for my French class in Angers on this very event so I have lots to tell.
It started in the early 80s in Paris as a way for people to enjoy music freely in any and all venues and by 1985 or 6 it became a certified event and began to spread to other cities and eventually, today, it is almost a worldwide event. Literally any type of music you can think of, any type of venue and all night long. There are organized concert venues from outdoor stages to art museums to restaurants and bars and then there is the occasional impromptu drum circle or man in a window playing a guitar. We saw it all. I did my research online for the paper and then I took my guitar and walked around Angers the whole night watching bands in play from the Place du Ralliement to the crowded rue St. Laud and up and down just about every other street outside of restaurants and bars. It was quite an experience. All free and loads and loads of people. It was just beautiful to see that many people enjoying that many kinds of music. And people would always stop and give each group a listen. For once it wasn't about the money but about the music. If you are ever in Paris on June 21st you must tell me about your experience. Here is a picture of me playing my guitar in la Place du Ralliement.

Galerie David d'Angers

by Mikebond

The Galerie David d'Angers, located in a deconsacrated church, shows scupltures by the Angevin artist David d'Angers (1788-1856). Although they are very beautiful, the author simply copied them from originals. These photos depict:
1) Johann Gänsfleisch, better known as Gutenberg (circa 1390-1468), the inventor of movable pressing types;
2) a scene from Le Cid, the most important masterpiece of French dramatist Pierre Corneille's (1606-1684);
3) a scene from Tartuffe by Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, alias Molière (circa 1622-1673);
4) maybe Charlemagne (Charles the Great, 742/747-814), king of the Franks;
5) maybe Gavroche, a character of Victor Hugo's novel Les misérables.
I would be happy if you could help me identify better these two photos.

Le Cathedrale Saint Maurice

by TimDaoust

This is another huge landmark within the city and very hard to miss. The Cathedrale exterior as well as interior are not to be missed. It sits atop a wide staircase often referred to by the same name as the Cathedral. It towers over all else around and contains some beautiful stained glass windows. There is still a bishop seated here and they hold regular services as well. The structure itself was built over the course of many centuries, from the Gallo-Roman period on until the 15th century. Go here for a great panorama of the cathedral and the staircase.

The Cointreau Distillery, Angers

by sheldon_j

Most people visit the region for the many chateaux and the wine. But if you enjoy this orange liqueur, or even if you just enjoy the sweet smell of candied orange peels, you need to visit La Musée Cointreau to tour this unique distillery. The organised tours for visitors cost 5,50 euros are very detailed and available in French, English, Spanish or German. If you have a group of 10 or more it costs 4,70 euros each. Of course there's the requisite free drinks at the end!

Musée Jean Lurçat

by Mikebond

The musée Jean Lurçat et de la tapisserie contemporaine is located in the ancien hôpital Saint-Jean, one of the oldest in France: it was built between 1174 and 1186. The salle des malades ("room of patients"), built in 1181 and used until 1854, hosts works by Jean Lurçat (1892-1966), in particular ten tapestries forming the Chant du Monde ("Song of the World").
I enjoyed this museum very much, but unfortunately it was forbidden to photograph. This pic has been taken from the site of the city hall.

Comments