Ibis - Abbeville Hotel

234, route d'Amiens, Abbeville, Picardy, 80100, France
Ibis Abbeville
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners
Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

92%

Satisfaction Excellent
Excellent
18%
17
Very Good
49%
46
Average
25%
24
Poor
1%
1
Terrible
5%
5

N/A

Value Score No Data

Show Prices

Good For Solo
  • Families81
  • Couples72
  • Solo83
  • Business50

More about Abbeville

Photos

CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRYCHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY

HOTEL EMILE MAGNIERHOTEL EMILE MAGNIER

MANUFACTUREMANUFACTURE

CHURCH SAINT-JACOB (XIXème century)CHURCH SAINT-JACOB (XIXème century)

Travel Tips for Abbeville

THE BELFRY AND THE MUSEUM BOUCHER OF PERTHES (1)

by wandeljp

THE BELFRY AND THE MUSEUM BOUCHER OF PERTHES

Built since 1209, the Belfry, one of oldest of France, are a 20 meters height quadrangular tower whose walls are at their base 2,30 meters thickness. The unit is closer to the seigneuriaux keeps of the 12th century than of the elegant belfries of the 14 and 15th centuries. The tower of the belfry close to the enclosure of the city was used as turn of guet until construction of the towers of Collègiale Saint-Vulfran. It is capped with a surmounted high-bell-tower of frame of a wind vane representing the Count de Ponthieu with horse. Its austere appearance contrasts with the character more decorated with the Treasury built in 1467-1468. On the turret of staircase, with the angle of the Belfry and Treasury, a low-relief of Emmanuel Fontaine was posed in 1887. It commemorates the heroism of Abbevillois Ringois thrown to the sea in 1368 to have refused to lend oath of fidelity to king Edouard d' Angleterre.Détruit during the bombardments of May 1940, the Belfry was restored (work completed in 1986)

Museum Boucher de Perthes (2)

by wandeljp

Museum Boucher de Perthes (2)

Jacques Boucher of Crèvecoeur de Perthes was born in Rethel in 1788 and died in Abbeville in 1868. He is regarded as one of the founders of Prehistory.

It is in Abbeville with the “Bench of the Hospital” Vauban boulevard currently that was discovered by him the first paleolithic axe on July 23, 1844.

The museum occupies the buildings remaining of the old Town hall of Abbeville and a modern building built in withdrawal. Objets d'art and medieval sculptures whose retable of the 15th century a money virgin of the 16th century, ceramics, tins and tapestries are exposed there. One notices the polychrome sculpture of Saint-Gengoulf, owner of the misled husbands and his wife undergoing the ordalie. Among other works, a statue of Camille Claudel “the Prayer” or “Psalm”. Paintings of the 16,17 and 18th century are represented there.

The prehistoric collections are centered on the discoveries of Stopping of Perthes and the sites of the Valley of the Somme.

CHURCH SAINT-JACOB (XIXème century)

by wandeljp

CHURCH SAINT-JACOB (XIXème century)

A church existed on its site since 1136.

It was rebuilt in 1482 then cut down in 1838 for reasons of outdatedness probably.

The current church devoted in 1875 is of neo-gothic style

Inside, is it difficult to visit , because it's most of the time closed.

Jan van Robai MANUFACTURE of oar

by wandeljp

MANUFACTURE of oar

(oar = frame maintaining the parts of fabric wet and tended in order to rectify them and to give them a width everywhere equalizes) Gate of style Louis XVI. In the middle of the 17th century, Colbert, the large minister of Louis XIV, being afflicted with the export of the French wools in England from where they returned woven, invited a Dutch industrialist of Middelburg, Josse Van Robais to install his trades with Abbeville in October 1665.

There were in this city a very old tradition of manufacture of cloths and gifts the presence of a very qualified labour. Moreover the presence of many rivers the washing of wools, their .also dyeing etc had allowed from time immemorial the use of mills whose driving force was essential.

This building was bought by the city to shelter a museum there but is not currently visible with the public.

HOTEL EMILE MAGNIER

by wandeljp

HOTEL EMILE MAGNIER

Emile Magnier, acquired the old hospital of Ligny and made it demolish about 1865 to build a new construction.

It is with its initiative and that of his Jules brother that the “economic furnaces Jules Magnier” were opened in Abbeville in 1884.

They functioned a few years still after the war of 1940, their function was to distribute meals to the stripped people.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Abbeville

Ibis - Abbeville Hotel

234, route d'Amiens, Abbeville

Show Prices

l'Auberge Picarde

place de la Gare, 80210 Chepy, Abbeville

Relais Vauban

4 Boulevard Vauban, Abbeville

Show Prices

View all Abbeville hotels

View all Abbeville hotels