Crystal Hotel

Crystal  Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

Satisfaction Average

More about Amiens

The central part of the maze.The central part of the maze.

The southern rose window.The southern rose window.

The city's crest on the belfry.The city's crest on the belfry.

A window from the 13th century.A window from the 13th century.

Cathedral opening hours

by Mazely

Hello, I intend to be in Amiens next October, and of course I plan to visit the famous Cathedral.
I've read that the Cathedral is open from 8:30 to 17:30 during October. Nevertheless the Cathedral site mentions that the tour hour (on October) is at 15:45.
OK - at first, I understood that free visits are from 8:30 to 17h, excluding mass times, and that there is a paid guided tour at 15:45. But...
on other months (July, June, August...) there are times for "visits" and for "free visits" ("visite libre"). So, what's the difference between a free visit time and just an "open" time?
Will I have problems to visit (without tour) the cathedral out of the 15:45 visit? I planned to be in the Cathedral during morning, and I didn't want to arrive there just to see the door closed, or access forbidden.
Thanks in advance, merci.

by Mazely

Thank you so much for your prompt answer, sir, but I would like to know, if possible, if I would have problems visiting the cathedral (alone) OUT of the tour at 15:45.
Je vous remercie beaucoup.

by Beausoleil

We were at the cathedral in Amiens a couple months ago. The doors are open and you just walk in. If there is a Mass or other service going on, they discourage pictures, especially of the service, but other than that you are free to wander at will and take pictures in chapels and side aisles.

Try to go on a sunny day so you get full benefit of the stained glass windows. We were there in a major rainstorm and it was quite dull inside.

There is a nice park behind the cathedral and if you take the little bridge at the end of the walkway, you come to a parking area and another bridge across the river to a lot of riverside restaurants (both sides of the river). As I said, much nicer on a sunny day. 8^)

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about being locked out.

by Mazely

I thank you both very much for your kind answers (that actually came so fast!).
Merci beaucoup, M. Pedmar, j'ai lu votre 'page' sur Amiens et la cathedrale, trés informative et avec des belles images; thank you so much, Mrs. Beausoleil - I hope the sun shines in Amiens as much as in your nickname, so I can enjoy the places you mentioned and also take nice pictures.

Travel Tips for Amiens

Chinese Cuisine on wheels

by Applelyn

I was surprised to find this stall near the train station. The food is good and price is reasonable. You have a good choice of fried rice, fried wanton and fish balls. And their cooking style is really close to home.

Cathedral square in Amiens

by wanderlust23

Take a walk around the Cathedral and just reflect how awesome and breathtaking it is! The best and highest Cathedral in the world is right here in this city!! You can't miss it! There's also a really pretty garden/park around the back of the Cathedral. Check out more of my cathedral tips in the must see section. My favorite memories of Amiens are those when I went out my front door and walked, having no intention or thought as to where I wanted to go. I found the most interesting places that way! My absolute favorite memory though is the first day that I ventured out. It was the weekend that I arrived in Amiens and I decided to head out and see what there was. It was such a cloudy day and a little rainy; I started walking and found a pretty little church. It was big and ornamented with statues and for a moment I thought that maybe I'd found the Cathedral. (I had never seen one before so I had no idea the importance and grandeur of them!) I kept walking though, determining that it couldn't be it. I came upon the Cathedral a few minutes later and was just taken aback by how big and beautiful it was! I went inside and just in time too because it started to pour down rain. Inside it was big and damp and dark. I was the only person there, no tourists or guides. A gregorian chant was playing on a loudspeaker overhead. I just remember walking around and looking in all the nooks and crannies of the church. Really beautiful! If I had one thing to see in France I would go back there to that cathedral, to my cathedral.

They loved rollar blading

by Applelyn

Everywhere they go, they go on wheels under their feet. I realised that the in thing in Amiens at least when I visited it was rollar blading. They bladed to cafes, parks and even to school. Good Exercise and Environmental Friendly :) In addition, they have blading competition for as young as 4 years old to as old as you can get.

Don't forget to come to Amiens...

by DanielF

Don't forget to come to Amiens on a sunday morning and visit the picturesque market by the canals. On certain occasions a market on the canals is organised: The peasants from the area sell their products from small boats in the canals.

The underground city!

by belgianchocolate

This place has got an interesting history.
Since the 11th century people were hiding
in these self created caves.

Every day there a a few guided tours in
these 3 km long corridors.
The tour is in French...I don't think it is that
interesting if you don't understand French.

It gives you a good impression on how life
must have been underhere.
They tell all sorts of interesting facts...
Like the heating. How did they get it a little warm?
If you make fire , you will suffocate for sure.

The museum that follows afterwards the tour
is quit hilarious. It is with an audio-tape and
wax puppets who tell the life in French village
years ago. There is no escape ladies and
gentlemen. Just under go it.

Afterwards you can take a walk up the hill and
go have a look at the animals. Deer , rabbits...
Or you can take the little train to admire the
two mills.

Anyway , we had a good time.

Comments