33 Cours Guynemer, Compiegne, Ile-de-France, FR-60200, France

Satisfaction Average

More about Compiègne

CompiegneCompiegne

Square of the Armistice, CompiegneSquare of the Armistice, Compiegne

Relics at the Church of St. Jacques, CompiegneRelics at the Church of St. Jacques, Compiegne

Town Hall, CompiegneTown Hall, Compiegne

MARTYRS OF COMPIEGNE

by soiron

Does anyone know if any of the relics at St Jacques Abby/Church relate to the Carmelites of Compiegne.
I am researching the family "Soiron" who lived in Compiegne. Any information would be appreciated.

Re: MARTYRS OF COMPIEGNE

by soiron

Thank you so much, we are coming to France in April, and staying in Compiegne for two nights. I am a history teacher so I find all the things that make Thus my interest as well, I have Picpus cemetery on my list.....In fact I have a spreadsheet of the things we will be looking at.I am interested in the three families living in Compiegne. I would love to make the link between us and the two ladies. (Either to prove or disprove the story). But Ihave to say, after all this time, and the legend to remain in Australia is amazing.

Re: MARTYRS OF COMPIEGNE

by Trempealeau2

All those guillotined on July 17, 1794, are buried at 42 Rue de Picpus, 12th arrondissement - that includes the Soiron sisters, servants to the nuns. They are buried in a mass grave and there are no available relics. It is wise to call ahead to the Sacred Heart Nuns Convent/Picpus Cemetary for days and times to visit as it is very limited. The Marquis de Lafayette is buried within yards of the Carmelites too. It is a tremendously moving place.

Travel Tips for Compiègne

Forest of Compiegne

by freya_heaven

The beautiful forest of Compiegne is one of Frances oldest woodlands. Very popular with walkers, horseriders and cyclists both on and off road. The is 150 square km for you to explore. Many signed footpaths and gorgeous woodland walks.

Vieux Moulin

by freya_heaven

This is another picturesque little village we happened across, looks quite a wealthy little place, didn't see any deralict places here. With Vieux Moulin being only a a few km south east of Compiegne I imagine it is a commuter area.

If your passing, its worth a wander around the quiet streets, the church, built in 1860 was quite an unusual style and interesting to see. Visit the Auberge mentioned in my restaurant tips too.

Vieux Moulin translates as old mill, we could not find it though!

Compiegne Page

by egonwegh

We stayed over at Compiegne on our way back to the Netherlands after our summer holiday 2005. We took a room at a hotel near the town centre, spent some time on the banks of the river Oise and had a closer look at some of the monuments and churches. We also visited the nearby forest to inspect the site of the Armistice (1918).

Armistice 1918

by egonwegh

The Armistice Clearing in the forest east of Compiegne. This is were the Armistice was signed between the Allied Forces and Germany after the First World War (1918). The treaty was signed in a train wagon. After the German victory over the French in the Second World War (1940), Hitler insisted that the same wagon be used again for the official French surrender. The commemorative plates - the largest one can be seen in the centre of this picture - were smashed up. In the final stages of the Second World War (1945), the wagon was transported to the east and destroyed somewhere in a Thuringian forest. Nowadays, a replica of the original wagon is shown in the museum on this spot, together with authentic uniforms, fountain pens, pipes, ashtrays and other trinkets ...
No photographs allowed inside the museum.

Statue of Field Marshal Ferdinand Foch (1851-1929), Commander-in-Chief of the allied forces in World War I.

Comments