La Croix Du Vieux Pont

Berny reviere, vic-sur-ainse, 02290 Compiegne, France

More about La Croix Du Vieux Pont

Aug 2008 (even though the website would only let me enter up to 2007!!)

by TripAdvisor Member Bicyclemadefortwo

This campsite has been fairly well reviewed and I would agree that it is a very good site so just a few items of importance.
A lot of the emplacements for mobile homes are shared, ie. 2 mobiles per pitch, so your privacy can be very much diminished. We booked with Al Fresco through Crystal Holidays in Ireland [--] and had a fabulous, huge mobile & site and as it was down at the newer end of the site we didn't suffer from the noise from the bar, etc.
Another point worth noting is that although the site is advertised as being an idea base from which to explore the city of Paris and Disneyland it is approx 90mins drive to both. I'd recommend booking an overnight hotel stay if you want to spend more than the one day in either - saves on the travelling and you get to see the sights at night too.

A Beautiful Campsite

by TripAdvisor Member NorthKildare

La Croix du Vieux Pont is a very nice campsite close to Paris.The emplacements are generous in size compared to many I have been on at Campsites around France. It is wooded site, and the owner takes great pride in the plants and trees. Great fishing here too. The river Aisne runs along the bottom of the site and there is a stocked lake in the centre of the campsite. Lots to do for kids here also and Compiegne is nice for some shopping. The campsite have bought a coach and run trips to Disneyland and Paris. All in all a very well managed, clean campsite. We have been a couple of times, and are planning to go back in the Spring. They open from Easter to 31 October.

Nice Camp Site

by TripAdvisor Member Woody_000

Went to this camp site with Thomson "Alfresco" and enjoyed our stay very much. We stayed in the Vivaldi type caravan which has 3 bedrooms. The campsite is very well looked after and the facilities are very good. The on-site bakery is very good. The fishing is very good also, some very big carp (20-30lbs) to be caught if you have the patience, and as I found out the hard way the correct bait!

Went on the part arranged trip to Paris which was very good value for money and a very enjoyable day, but pretty hectic trying to see everything. Would recommend if you only going the once not to try to see everything

The bar is very expensive, around 6 Euro for a pint of lager and it is very “British” with that I mean all the local kind of cheesy British Holiday entertainment like bingo, and is very Family orientated which is a good thing for families, but not if you don’t have kids.

The take away is good for a quick bite to eat of you’ve been out all day and cant be bothered cooking. The restaurant can be a bit of a hit or miss. We went the first time and the food was not very good at all, very bland, we gave it another go the second week and it was actually very good. It offers simple but tasty dishes.

Overall we enjoyed our 2 week stay here very much. The weather was a bit changeable though with rain quite often with some glorious sunny day’s in-between

A very pleasant campsite

by TripAdvisor Member Tapyeno

We booked our stay with Keycamp. We had had a week in South of France in another campsite where the weather was very hot. That site had been very busy and the space we had for our Mobile Home limited as was privacy.
We found this campsite far more relaxing. the weather was not good unfortunately. The Keycamp Staff were extremely helpful.

The site has three lakes - one we had fun on in canoes and peddalos - and three swimming pools.
We took a drive to Disneyland one day, and that was a painless journey.

On site retaurant is just OK. Chez Micheline, anout a mile a way, is worth a visit for an evening meal. You would need to book beforehand, and be prepared for about a 2 hour sitting - but its worth it!

Our children were a little disappointed about the Childrens' Clubs - there was nothing for our 13 year old, and our 11 year old went to a club for 7 - 12. One for 10-12 would have been better. But they enjoyed themselves all the same.

We will be returning, but I hope in finer weather!

Fabulous Site

by TripAdvisor Member keycamp-reveller

We arrived at the site at 15.00 on the dot and found our accommodation was ready! Keycamp reps were friendly and polite which was to continue throughout our holiday with extra help from them at a time when we needed it – more about that later. The sun was shining brightly and it was very warm on our arrival. The weather didn’t change for the week we were there. In fact, we all came home with a tan.

We had a Villagrand, 3 bed, one bathroom caravan which was actually larger than I thought it would be. It was light and airy and the mosquito nets and black out blinds in each bedroom were a definite advantage for keeping out bugs and the early morning / late evening light if you have children (we do!) Ample cupboard space, and a fully stocked kitchen including a full size fridge freezer although for full size freezer read a freezer that is about 3 x the size of a fridge freezer compartment. Big enough for 2 or 3 packets of mice, some chicken and other meats. If you decide to go fully self catering, then this is the van for you.

The site itself, pictures to be added later, was perfect. There are not many things in life that are, but the tranquillity and beauty of this site is one of them, for the price you are paying. Absolutely deserves a 5 star rating. Floral borders, large fir trees and fabulous fishing lakes are all part of this site. Although we went in mid September, it was busy with lots of children on site to make friends with others but not so busy as to be noisy. We had no trouble with noise from either the new bar or the disco as another reviewer did. With its well stocked borders and short lawns, La Croix du Vieux Pont is a well cared for, clean camp site in which everyone obviously takes great pride.

The on site restaurant is great for eating out, but if you’re expecting French cuisine you will be disappointed. Although tasty, the food is definitely catering for the English market, although you can get L’Escargot. It is all pre-prepared food heated as and when ordered but still edible and enjoyable although it’s chips with everything, almost literally. I’m not sure why, as using a masher would have added variety too the menu as well as our diets. The waiter/ress are all friendly too. The speed of the food coming to your table is very suited to the English with no long waits between courses – another plus if you have small children. There is a pizza place on site which is cheap and cheerful – make sure you ask for formaggio and not ‘cheese’ pizza or you’ll end up with a cheese burger lol. Don’t expect Pizza Hut type pizzas for your money and the chips have seen better days, but again edible food if you don’t want to cook. We tried to book at the much mentioned Chez Micheline but it must be very good as we couldn’t get a booking at all for any of our last 4 days – we go back for 10 days in April so we will try again when I shall write a review for Trip Advisor that is solely about this restaurant.

There is quite a lot to do on site though at this time of year the Fun Stations are closed but we sneaked a peak in the tents and it looked like there were lots of fun things to do from painting to game playing. There is fishing, of course, and it certainly seems to be a popular pastime; we saw a 21lb carp landed whilst there. The pools are ideal for all ages and the life guards do make sure the rules are adhered too. I would imagine in high season they get pretty chock a block. The new bar is great. You can see the pools from the outside seating area, so if you have older children you could drink whilst they swim :)
Not many people mention the customer service or Keycamp reps except to say they were friendly, but as mentioned above, when needed they can be a life saver, as can other staff on the site. We had a bit of a disaster in as much as our car broke down on the way back from our second day at Disney. We were about 20 mins from the site, and thankfully I had purchased breakdown cover for the very first time and also taken a mobile phone on holiday for the first time. We called the breakdown company who arranged for our car to be towed to a local garage, and whilst we had excellent service from them, it is the holiday company I need to write about here. As it was quite late when we broke down, it was the following morning that my hubby had to start sorting things out but as, at best, our pigeon French can order us 2 baguettes and a soda, he had to find some one to speak to the garage owner. The wonderful receptionist at the site called him and did this for us on more than one occasion. The Keycamp reps also arranged for our ferry booking to be changed to the day of expected repair, they also found my hubby accommodation for the extra 3 days he had to stay and wait for the car to be fixed. (He stayed with Eurocamp in the end). They managed to also get him a phone charger to borrow. All in all a great customer service experience. So good, that even the disaster of a car breakdown did not, in any way, detract from the fact we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. (On the subject of ferry bookings, extra passengers in a car go free of charge – legal extra passengers of course – I and my 3 year old travelled back with my sister and her husband and son). We have booked already to return next April for 10 days, so it must have been good :)

If you are thinking of going to this site you really will not be disappointed at all.

excellent

by TripAdvisor Member farmersmarket

We camp here several times a year, and its great friendly staff, clean, excellent location, lovely village, near disney paris too only an hours drive, but there are coach trips each week and also into paris, what more could you want! Oh yes the frogs!
Very highly recommended for people with children or not, young or old, theres fishing bike hire shop supermarket, spa, bar pizza place, restaurant, pools, slides, trampolines and much more!!!

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member TravellerFirst

I have been going to this campsite since 1992 over the years they have added more and more facilities MAKING IT THE PERFECT PLACE FOR ANY ONE TO STAY.
i have stayed with eurosites,haven(siblu) and keycamp they were all great companies to stay with - location is perfect for travelling to DISNELAND PARIS and not having to pay for the high priced hotels its just approx 1 hour down the moterway - easy !!! IF YOU ARE READING THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK - JUST BOOK IT ,ITS FANTASTIC

have a fab holiday

Over a decade of great holidays

by TripAdvisor Member IMC2008

I have been going here since I was a child, and recently took my fiance to see the place - she loved it too. The site itself is fantastic, and has expanded not only the number of berths for caravans and tents, but has extended existing facilities and created new ones appropriately. The facilities are not at all overcrowded unlike many sites. The on-site fishing is spot-on (trout and coarse), as are the pool, cycle hire, bars, laundry, toilets, playgrounds etc. The surrounding area is peaceful and the scenary very nice. Local restaurants offer real french food, and do not take advantage of the tourists wallets. In the wider area there are plenty of tourist attractions e.g. Parc Asterix, Paris etc. Can't fault the place.

A very pleasant 2 weeks

by TripAdvisor Member dave1710

The site has got a lot bigger since our last stay. We stayed with Canvas Holidays in one of the Millennium caravans. The caravan was very spacious with 3 good sized bedrooms that was just slightly too small for our party (4 adults & 3 children).

We were located in the new area which is quite a distance from the facilities. The vegetation in this area was still very young, no doubt this will start to look more homely once it all starts to grow a bit.

Despite the expansion the number of washing machines & driers has remained the same (3 of each). This can involve a bit of a wait. Also, for 1 load of washing you will need 2 tokens for the driers as they are either lacking warm air or just don't operate for long enough per token.

The site shop and bakery were always well stocked but I though the shop had a bad smell (Mind you, this is France!). Unfortunately a poor exchange rate made the holiday very expensive so I can't really comment on value.

The takeaway (Berny Burger) service was good with a nice selection of food. It was suprising to see the same staff working there as 2 years ago.

The restaurant was good and the food was ok, nothing exceptional. Combined with the typical french sense of humour I wouldn't recommend it if you have alternatives.

Wireless internet access is available in the bar. There's no trick to connecting, it's just the same as your home network. The network name was "Summer". You are supposed to pay 5 Euros per day to use it but is not a requirement to connecting (You know what I mean).

The pools were good. Only the indoor pools were open due to time of year. They were very popular but not crowded. The changing area was a major let down. It feels unfinished and the floor is constantly dirty/
gritty due to people treading stuff through from outside.

The toilet blocks were not open as the tent season had not started but they a quick inspection revealed a lot of damage, I assume they were working on them ready for the season to start.

There was a good play area for kids. You need to pay for acitivites like to bouncy castle, trampolines etc but savings can be made bu purchasing the site leisure passes.

The site is well located for many days out. We easily managed Disney, Parc Asterix, Parc Saint Paul & Paris. The site had a courtesy bus to Disney but we did not use it. The bus was a large double decker that looked quite new.

Overall a good site that does not want to expand any further. The facilities could do with some maintenance/updating. The holiday was very enjoyable and we will definately return.

As Campsites go, very well run.

by TripAdvisor Member JulieFH

Set about an hour's drive outside Paris, the camp site is large and well kept. I went in April with Key Camp Holidays, although I noticed there were many other companies that have caravans at this site including Thomson Al Fresco, EuroCamp and several others.

The people staying there were 99% British and thus all personnel spoke fluent English. The on-site restaurant offered a good range and included some classic options such as Frogs Legs and Snails so you didn't feel you were in a totally British environment. The Bar was family friendly, although the drinks well over priced (5 Euros for a pint of beer) as you are a fairly captured audience. The local villages are within walking distance (approx 1-2 kms) and make a pleasant change but they are still quite limited if you are there for a long duration.

Only the indoor pools were open in April and the children loved them with the slides being their favourite. There is also an outdoor playground which was good and some other child friendly activities such as a bouncy castle, trampolines, mini go-carts which are great for the kids but come at a cost and it all starts to add up by the end of your stay - especially with the Euro being so strong.

The mini-beach area next to one of the lakes looked great, although it was too cold to try it out when we were there. It occurred to me that the campsite in April was only 1/2 full and it felt busy enough. I would imagine it would feel extremely busy once in full season.

Caravans themselves were well kept and fine if you have good weather. For us it was SHOCKINGLY cold in the mornings, despite the little gas fire which heats the area only 2 inches in front of it. In hindsight, if you are travelling off season like we did, invest in a very good quality sleeping bag to keep you warm in the night and take hot water bottles, slippers and anything else you can think of to keep you warm as it does put a bit of a downer on your holiday!! This leads me on to the one grip that I had with the resort itself. I did have a big issue with the state of the blankets provided. I'm not sure if that was a Key Camp responsibility or the actual camp site's but they were dirty and had hairs all over them. I asked the rep to change them and they did so willingly - only to bring me even dirtier blankets! We had pre-paid for bed linen which was provided in a sealed bag and was obviously freshly laundered. It was just the blankets but when you are snuggling up to them at night to keep warm, you don't want somebody else's cat hairs, mud and god knows what all over them.

Driving to Disney from the camp site was very easy - a straight forward route and well signposted once on the main motorway (and you don't have to go anywhere near the centre of Paris to get there). It took us about an hour. The Campsite runs a bus service that has to be paid for so if you don't mind driving on French roads I'd recommend doing it yourself as it is not only cheaper but allows much more flexbility in the time you spend there.

Blankets and cold weather aside, I would recommend this campsite and Key Camp Holidays to anyone. Just go prepared!

Oh by the way, on a funny side, as there is a fishing lake on the site, you do get some fanatical angler dad's there. They make for fascinating people watching material (although you feel desperately sorry for the rest of the family, particularly the bored kids) - I never realised fishing to could be a sport operated in a combat style operation!

• Jul 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Had lovely holiday but" Lifestyle" was only negative. They have no kids club, the reps are older and do not know a lot about what to do or what to see. They also took 20 euro off on last day as they said shower door was not cleaned properly.,,,, We had spent all the previous day cleaning it was spotless , we were so mad. Excellent place but dont stay with lifestyle.....