Citadines Apart'hotel Aix Jas de Bouffan

4, avenue Achille-Emperaire, Aix-en-Provence, Provence, 13090, France

More about Aix-en-Provence

La Rotonde Fountain (Aix-en-Provence, France)La Rotonde Fountain (Aix-en-Provence, France)

La Rotonde, Aix-en-ProvenceLa Rotonde, Aix-en-Provence

AixAix

Saint Sauveur CathedraleSaint Sauveur Cathedrale

Public Holidays in France

by runawaymind

Hi all,
We are going to be in France (Paris and Provence) from about 25th April to maybe 10th May, with a few days in London in between. Sun May 1 and Sun May 8 are public holidays in France. Would there be any effect on the following Mondays? (In Australia, if a public holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is declared a public holiday). Is there anything like that that I should watch out for (eg banks closed, museums closed on the Mon)? Would it be extra difficult to drive to Provence on 1st May? Should I expect more traffic coming and in and out of the city?

Thanks
Eve

by tmpaca

Mondays are like any other mondays in this case and all is open. No problem to drive on sunday.

by xymmot

Don't they have a May pole day there?....hah, you will have a great time out there in the Provence. You would not have a problem driving. The civic calendar was first instituted in 1582; Bastille Day was incorporated in 1789, Armistice Day in 1918, Labor Day in 1935, and Victory Day in 1945. During the month of May, there is a holiday nearly every week, so be prepared for stores, banks and museums to shut their doors for days at a time. It is a good idea to call museums, restaurants and hotels in advance to make sure they will be open.
May 1 is labor day, May 8 celebrates I think WWII Victoy Day and July 18 Bastille Day Cheers Tommy x

by xymmot

Like some holidays in america, like Columbus Day or George Washingtons birthday, people celebrate them less and less and decide to work through the holiday. In France though, people rather not work and take the holiday off. They take the days more seriously and not celebrate, but have the day off with pay. ah ha Cheers Tommy x

by runawaymind

Thank you tmpaca and xymmot for your replies. Its good to know I will not have trouble driving around around that time, and that the Mondays are "regular" days.

by KakapoTheParrot

Museums will certainly be open, banks probably not. As for driving, with a lot of offices closed, driving will probably be easier. Any tourist facility will be open, although probably busier than usual for a Monday.

by Beausoleil

The holidays this year are on Sunday so a visit on Monday will not be a problem. Some museums normally close on Mondays (or on Tuesdays) so if there is a particular tourist site you want to visit, you may want to check their web site to see which day they close. You can check many tourist sites here for hours: http://www.monuments-nationaux.fr/en/

May is an odd month to visit France because of all the holidays but there are things open and you can work around them. It's our second favorite month to visit just because the weather is so lovely. (Favorite is September.) Any time is GREAT.

The only time we've found driving difficult is Bastille Day weekend, especially if there is a Friday or Monday Bastille Day involved. Traffic on the AutoRoute south comes to a grinding halt. It's not quite as bad on side roads but still not fun. When we're there near Bastille Day, we stay in a small town far from the tourist track and wait it out. Even tiny places have great parties so we have lots of fun and don't worry about driving. The first day of August vacations is another busy day but you will escape all of that so should have a nice drive.

Enjoy your trip.

- E. mail: infos@aixenprovencetourism.com
- Internet: www.aixenprovencetourism.com

Les Nains de Jourdain

by rickyvilla81

If you want to get away from the streets, take yourself down to the Parc Jourdain. Situated not far from the Facultes, off Boulevard Roi Rene, this park is home to some lovely fountains, and is popular with students taking time out for a moment in the sun. I used to come here to rehearse the play I was directing with the actors.
But the most intriguing tale was told to me by my friend Corentin, who often comes to this park to play his drum and climb the trees. He told me that there were garden gnomes, les nains de jardin, who every night leave their ponds and their rods and come to the Jourdain for a spot of fun, drinking, smoking, playing music, hanging with the gnomies. Whether or not it be true, I would say this - don't come down here at night!
The picture shows some people playing petanque, or boules, a very popular pastime here!

A good scarf

by rickyvilla81

It's a good idea to have a scarf in Aix, especially from November to about April, because it can sometimes be chilly, especially when the Mistral comes to town. Here I am, with my beloved scarf from Monoprix, when it snowed in December 2002. I should add, you may not need to bring a scarf really, I bought mine in Aix. They have lots of nice scarves here, such as mine, or my other one, from Celio. But Eurodif, near the Rotonde on Ave des Belges, does lots of very nice inexpensive scarves; mainly for women though.

a local gentleman recommended this winner

by kimigirl about Le Formal

We were near the Cours Mirabeau trying to find Le Village, which was reviewed on this website and could not find it. I found a local shopkeeper and asked him if he knew of that restaurant and he had not. I asked him if he had a restaurant he could recommend and he showed me this restaurant, which was down some stairs and in a cave. I asked him if he knew of any good ones where you could eat outside, as it was such a nice day. He said, "Well, you can go to the Cours Mirabeau, but it will be twice as expensive and the food is not good." So I smiled and we went to his recommendation and we were so glad we did. It took us a while to realize that it might not have been a seventeenth century restaurant, as the walls had great stonework and it was so authentic, without being campy. We finally realized some changes had been made but an artisan had done a great job on the faux finish on actual stonework. We only saw locals in there, and the art on the walls was really tasteful. I would recmmend going for lunch. Entree, plat et dessert and one glass of wine was 21 euros. Entree et plat or plat et dessert and an hors boisson was 17 euros. The risotto to start was great. I also had pot au feu, foie gras poele and truffles, which was very good. For dessert, you can get a selection of cheeses or desserts. Don't order one of each, thinking you can share it all, because your husband will want to eat all of the dessert and none of the cheese. But seriously, the dessert was just a bite of 3 different things, which is perfect for one person. The hostess and the waiter were very kind and respectful. the risotto was my favorite thing. A special note: this is closed Saturday for lunch, Sunday and Monday

Market

by skydivefred

The Marché d'Aix en provence is one of the most interesting and enjoyable I've seen in France : Antiques, craftmanship, fruit and veggies, local made cheeses and charcuterie, local products, but also clothes. A very varried market indeed. I just love that mix of smells, colors, people.
The market is settled every Tuesday, Thirsday, Saturday from 7 am to 1pm