Aix-en-Provence Hotels

Our Members Say

• Americanmom1 profile photo Americanmom1
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Think twice before you stay at the Charembeau

It is sad when an American mother has to write about the cliche of mean French people. I speak French, and have worked with French people for over 10 years--but the people who run this hotel are just downright rude and ignorant. I see there are positive comments about this place, but my guess is the reviews are mostly by older, retired people (75 to 80 percent of the guests at the hotel) and not for young families. Especially if you are American.

So, here is the story: After a long year with our new baby, my husband and I decided to take a "tranquil" holdiay in Provence. After a search online, I found the Charembeau. I emailed the hotel and booked online. Here were the issues from the moment we set off for the hotel:

1) Unfortunately, on the way we got stuck in traffic (we were driving in from Switzerland) after taking a local road by accident, and when we called the hotel to make sure we were on the right track, they ignored our request and interrupted us to demand we had better hurry up or they would lock us out. After spending 8 hours on the road, and when I told them we had an infant in the car, and we did not know the area at all--the women on the phone told us it was too bad, "she sent an email and it was written the doors are locked by 9pm. What a way to start a vacation eh? Well it turns out we could have taken a freeway (A51) if they had just listened to us and told us to get off the side roads (which are labeled D etc.). My husband drove like a race car driver to get there in time before they left us outside to sleep in the car with no water and a baby. Thanks for the help.

2) Everything here is set up with rules. The pool for example, closes promptly at 8pm. So by the time you get your baby to bed, you have to just sit and look at the pool from your hotel room. What kind of hotel closes the pool in hot weather in the summer when there is still two hours of light left?

3) The hotel is rated three stars--rightly so. The bathroom was not clean and had black stains on the bathtub tile. It looked like it badly needed new fixtures. The room itself is very standard with no amenities. There is a tiny refrigerator (we were staying for the week and needed some place to store milk for the baby in our room) but guests are not allowed to use it. It is only for the few cans of cheap drinks they have in the minibar. We ignored this rule and stored our milk anyway. Babies need fresh milk!

4) When we left our room one day the owner ( an angry,older blonde lady named Sandra) saw that my baby had dropped a piece of bread, she picked up the crumbs and glared at me. I smiled at her so she forced a smile back but I could tell she was annoyed with us for not controlling baby spillage. Excuse us! My husband tried to take a towel out of the room and they came out of reception and stopped him and reprimanded him for using a room towel to go to the pool. He had a feeling he was being monitored. It was so creepy! There is also no place for babies/kids to go crawling and to play--the grass was do dry my baby would get splinters every time he crawled on it--- hardly the sprawling green gardens you see depicted in the photos on the website.

5) The owner (a grumpy man) never said a word to us and one day when we were walking on the road--I waved and he ignored us and sped by us annoyed that he had to stop for our baby playing in the fields. The hotel says on their website they are happy to drive you into town, but I would never want to be in the car with that man. Their son, mopes around all day mowing, cleaning and doing endless work to a point of exhaustion. I would hate to be their kid--- I guess the photo of this family on the website as a "happy, French farm family" is a big hoax.

6) The biggest mistake was ordering a cold plate (assiette) for a meal. The hotel serves no meals other than an overpriced 10 euro (15 dollars) breakfast of a few hard rolls, a little fruit and jelly. Eggs and cheese are extra. There is no dinner and no lunch and the hotel is tucked away so it is hard to go anywhere especially with a baby monitor and a few hundred meters radar. We were stuck at the hotel eating cheese and bread from their picnic tables every night and one night saw a man with guests opening wine he had brought from his car and eating some food the hotel brought out. We asked about the cold plate and were told we could order two for that evening. Great right? Well, I went and got a bottle from Forqualquier (a nice town/village near by) and waited at the picnic table for the cold plate. The reception/waitress (the one who told us she would lock us out) came out and this is what she said shaking her head with a frown:
"In France, since you do not know French culture, we do not bring our own wine. It is very impolite." I thought to myself, why am I being lectured by this woman? Should my husband and I not be allowed a little relaxation after our baby is asleep to just sit and eat in peace? I told her that the evening before we saw a man bringing his own bottle, and that we sat on these same picnic tables night after night with our own food and wine and no one complained before. She just shrugged and told me to talk to the owner (Sandra). That was it for me, I went in and spoke in English (since apparently trying to be respectful to these people did not work) and told Sandra that I know French culture very well and do not need to be lectured and if you are going to serve a cold plate in plastic dishes with a duncan hines cake wrapped in plastic on top of the entrees then I would hardly call this a proper French restaurant. Sandra just shook her head and said she would charge me whether I ate it or not and too bad. Well, folks, we had it by then with the Bergers and their Charembeau. Yes, it is true the setting is lovely, but it is not because of the Charembeau--it is Provence itself. There are hundreds of auberges to stay in--and this one is best left avoided if you are looking for a positive environment with your kids. Good luck.

Terrible people, very unfriendly toward English speakers (especially Americans with kids).

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 6, 2012

• Redang profile photo Redang
  • Reviews: 2924

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Campanile Aix-en-Provence Ouest: Not in the city centre, it's true, but...

Yes, it's quite far from the city centre, but it has some pros: Clean, free parking and very quiet surroundings.

Twin room: 79,70 €/night (just accommodation (Oct. '09); free parking in the complex.

- Fax: (+33) 442 52 31 33

• Written May 2, 2010
Tip Photo

Hotel Campanile Aix-en-Provence Ouest (France)

• akita profile photo akita
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

AIXOISE APPRTMANTS: GREAT SUMMER APPARTMENTS

Finding an appartmet or accomodation in Aix from APRIL TO SEPTEMBER is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE! As I found out when my parents came to visit me in April for a week and ALL the reasonably priced hotels were fully booked. Being a student here I knew of a student organisation called 'STUDENTS IN AIX' which helps Foreign students find appartmants and settle into life in Aix en Provence. The company has now started to help adult holiday makers find accomodation throughout the summer- Really fantastic APPARTMENTS, central, clean charming situated right in the heart of Aix old town. My parents rented an appartmant for one week for 300 Euros from 'Aixoise':Students in Aix company, and were delighted with their stay there. The appartmet was large, clean, central with windows overlooking La Place de La Mairie market square of Aix, a great location if you want to experience the real authentic Provencial atmosphere. There was a gift pack waiting for them on arrival to the appartment and a informtion folder with details of events, transport, restaurants etc, and they were even met at le Gare Rotierre on arrival and taken directly to their appartment. They were very content with their stay, and have now booked with AIXOISE again to come over with some friends. The web site is : www.studentsinaix.org and there is an ICON on the main page called AIXOISE which will take you to the appartment pages.

Students in Aix / Aixoise apprtments are : CENTRAL, CLEAN, LARGE, YOU RECIEVE PERSONAL SERVICE FROM THE COMPANY, reasonable and PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATION which delivers a GREAT stay in Aix en Provence! Choice of joining excursions to ST TROPEZ,MONaco and arounf south of France, one excursion INCLUDED in accomodation price!

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written May 24, 2007

• eden_teuling profile photo eden_teuling
  • Reviews: 2297

MAS DES MARGUERITES: CHAMBRES D'HOTES.....BED & BREAKFAST

Cécile & Guy's place consists of 5 guestrooms, 3 suites and 2 twin-bedrooms.

They welcome you to their MAS DES MARGUERITES in the depth of a nice little village called MAUSSANE LES ALPILLES.

After a good night's rest you can have breakfast in the garden, while you listen to the cicadas...

The suites and bedrooms are furnished with a delicate decoration....each one has a bathroom, minibard and its own toilet. Each detail is taken care of for your comfort, ease and serenity!

There is a swimming pool and a most lovely garden and all this in the very heart of the Provence where you can organie your own excursions e.g..

• Written December 31, 2004
Tip Photo

LE MAS DES MARGUERITES, CHAMBRES D'HOTES....

• skydivefred profile photo skydivefred
  • Reviews: 84

Any kind of accomodations

IOf course I used to live in Aix and I've never stayed in a hotel. So what I propose to you VTers is to have a look at the accomodation page of the tourist office;and if you need further info, about the district it is in town, if you want me to call and have info. please leave an E mail and i'll see what I can do. (I often go there).

Just have to contact me !!!

• Related to: Family Travel, School Holidays
  • Written January 8, 2004

• skydivefred profile photo skydivefred
  • Reviews: 84

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Youth hostel: Budget travellers/ Students

Not much to say. A clean, accessible hostel, a little outside the town centre, Easy to get to the centre thanks to a bus stop next to it (A bus every 10/15 minutes.)

Next to the Vasarely museum (don't miss it!!)

• Related to: Budget Travel, School Holidays, Study Abroad
  • Written January 8, 2004

• Pierre_Rouss profile photo Pierre_Rouss
  • Reviews: 814
Gites de France and B&Bs: Gites de France and B&Bs

While in Provence, for god sake, don't stay in hotels unless caught last minute.

Again, usually a stop at the nearest Syndicat d'initiative will give you ample listing of B&Bs, and Gites.

The friendly people, the nice breakfasts, long conversations, that's the way to see France.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Wine Tasting
  • Written June 28, 2003

• rickyvilla81 profile photo rickyvilla81
  • Reviews: 364
The Villages Hotel: Alternative to the Hostel?

A bit of a trek, down Rue Brossolette and across the autoroute, this place is more catered to motorists, but if you are more than one, and do not wish to spend another day at that Youth Hostel, worrying about your belongings, then this place is great. It's clean, and friendly, and cheap. Sure it's far but so is the hostel. We stayed here after leaving the hostel, before moving into our flat. the petit dej is very good too!

• Written November 4, 2002

• AndreasK profile photo AndreasK
  • Reviews: 924

The hotel Domain De Tournon is...

The hotel Domain De Tournon is located in an outstanding park, just 3 km from the city. It is a 17th century manor house, open from April to October. Facilities include outdoor pool, tennis courts, and a fitness centre.
Les Pinchinats, 13100 Aix-en-Provence

Tel: 30 842 090 300

• Opinion of Price:

• kwanou profile photo kwanou
  • Reviews: 113

Aix was the only place in...

Aix was the only place in France where it would have been better if we had booked a hotelroom beforehand. (During high season, you should probably make reservations everywhere.) But we found a better solution. We had asked advice at the Tourist information centre, close to the train station, and they gave us the address of a youthhostel. Getting a room there was no problem, but you have to take the car or the bus to go there.

• kwanou profile photo kwanou
  • Reviews: 113

Vaison la RomaineWe stayed at...

Vaison la Romaine
We stayed at a nearby camping, not far from the Mont-Ventoux, in between the vineyards. The owners were very friendly. It wasn't a fancy camping (no pool or other facilities apart from the bathrooms), but clean and extremely cheap.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful