5 rue Porte de Laure, Arles, Provence, 13200, France

Hotel Spa Le Calendal
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Charming hotel in a perfect location

We had heard good things about Hotel Le Calendal and were so glad we listened. Everything about our stay was terrific. First impressions can go a long way when traveling and the staff of the hotel made us feel very welcome. They are multi-lingual and very friendly and helpful.

We loved our room. It was located on the second floor of the hotel and we had a great view of the amphitheater. It was very comfortable and clean. Not fancy, but very homey feeling. The windows could be thrown open to let in the fresh air, which is always a plus.

Breakfast was included in our price and was very good. Typical breakfast with fruit, cereals, juices, breads, meat, cheese and yoghurt. On a nice day you can sit out back on the terrace and enjoy the fresh air.

The central location of the hotel also means you are very close to lots of sights plus plenty of restaurants. If you need help or have questions, the staff is very helpful. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Arles.

Unique Quality: The hotel has Spa facilities available for those who enjoy such treatments. In addition, there is a snack bar that is open 24 hours a day. The snack bar has sandwiches, ice cream, beverages and sweets to meet your anytime cravings.

Something that always drives us crazy, but not here. There were actually seven (7) outlets in the room for our charging pleasure. :-)

• A Charming Hotel

Our room overlooking the arena was absolutely wonderful. The service was fantastic and I highly recommend the location. It is a 15 minute walk from the train station or a 15 euro cab fare. Be sure to enjoy a pitcher of the house wine at the outside tables - quite remarkable!

Unique Quality: The hotel is located between the Roman Arena and the Roman amphitheatre in the center of town - a perfect location for exploring

• Great value, location and attention to detail

Our party of three absolutely adored Le Calendal and can't wait to return. We spent 4 wonderful days there and had Room 46 which is really two rooms together with a bathroom which is ideal for families or friends on a budget. It sleeps 4: double bed and two singles. One room overlooked Les Arenes and the other the garden in which we breakfasted very well and for a great price. It was my second visit to Arles and I fell in love with it all over again. We were lucky enough to manage to get a room for the last day of the Feria crowning the King and Queen of Rice but wished we'd booked earlier as they had a whole weekend of festivities.

The staff couldn't do enough for us and great attention was paid to detail: guide books were on hand, as were English newspapers, toys and games for rainy days and the reception sold stamps and postcards. We only had one problem: lack of hot water one evening but it was resolved in 1/2 hour.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for character, charm, central location and value for money.

Directions: Opposite les Arenes and 5 minutes walk from main street Boulevard des Lices

• davequ's Profile Photo

One of Arles' Best w/ Beautiful Garden: '08 UPDATE

I'm updating this tip in Spring '08 as things have changed (for Americans) -
    I wish more French 2-star hotels (now upgraded to a 3-star) were like Calendal.

Perfect location, professional staff, a good restaurant, clean, very "Provence" in its design and colours, a good deal, with a most beautiful garden.

Eating in the garden is Calendal's high point.
    Staff are very kind and helpful.

Here is the updated website
    with all the info and some good pics.

Unique Quality: For such a charming place, still great rates in 2007.
    So much for that - rates have gone up, and with the decline of the dollar vs euro, yanks like me will really feel the pinch.

The prices are relatively the same as when I stayed here in 2001! How Hotel le Calendal can avoid the euro "inflation demon" is beyond me, but good for us!
    Definitely a good deal.
    Sadly, not any more.
    e.g. I used to rent rm44, a nice little "double" overlooking the quiet garden for about 65 EU, which translated to about $55 in '01, and ~$70 in '03 & '05.
    Now a double is (per the website) "Double ou twin: de 99 à 119 euros"
    Holy m@rd*!! - That means at today's rates, a 'best case' $150 / night! More than twice the previous cost a couple of years ago.

Right next to the Roman Arena at the "top" of the old city, walking distance to everywhere in the Arles. There are many little cafes/restaurants within 50 meters of the lobby, and the hotel itself has excellent food in their restaurant and Salon de thé.

The garden is fabulous. You must eat at least one meal in the garden during your stay (petite dejeuner here is excellent and very relaxing).

(room 44 is one of the nice little rooms I like that overlooks their beautiful garden)

They have a small garage for private parking and can also arrange parking for your vehicle in the public lot.

Hard to beat this place anywhere in Arles.

Sorry about the rude-red '08 updates, but it beats writing smiley, flowery upbeat travel prose (sometimes referred to as " lying ") -
    Hey, it's still a great hotel with a killer location, but thanks to raised rates and even more so the U$ declining economy (not Calendal's fault)
    Calendal is sadly no longer that "steal" it once was for Americans.

Directions: Right next to the Roman Arena, between the Antic Theater and Arles Amphitheater.
    Here's a MAP

More about Hotel Le Calendal

Le Calendal

by migorman about Le Calendal

$60 Rooms look over a beautiful English-style garden with chairs and tables for outdoor breakfast, swings, and a giant chess board. Rooms are spacious,creatively decorated, and have a/c.

Great Value

My husband and I just spent a wonderful night at Le Calendal September 30, 2004. The room was quite large and very clean and very affordable The breakfast was lovely and the location is excellent. We would highly recommend Le Calendal to anyone travelling to Arles

A Favorite!

by TripAdvisor Member sarybow

Smallish but comfortable rooms that were very cozy, with an nice and clean bathroom. While we were very happy with the rooms, the best part about Le Calendal is the dining/sitting room. We visited in December (winds and all) and found the sitting room a perfect comfortable spot for coming in out of the cold wind and enjoying a glass of wine, or a delicious meal. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. When I dream of going back to France, it always includes a second visit to Le Calendal.

A tranquil oasis after a really rotten day

by TripAdvisor Member pipeman28

My experience with Le Calendal started a couple of months before I even left home when I started corresponding with the staff via email regarding my reservation. I had made an error in my arrival date on the original reservation, and was told to "not worry--my reservation had been corrected." Emails were always answered quickly and in a friendly manner.

After an nightmarish travel day (international travel with one injured arm in a sling is bad enough--compound this with canceled flights, missed connections, a rush hour transfer from CDG to Orly, a baggage handler's strike at Orly, a Marseilles-bound flight full of pre-teens with little supervision, an arrival in Arles so late that taxis were no longer available, and you can guess the kind of mood I was in), I arrived at Le Calendal after midnight--six hours later than expected--to a warm and welcome greeting by the front desk clerk. He showed me immediately to a room off the garden court, which was warm and cozy. It was a tad on the small side, but since I was traveling alone, that wasn't a problem.

In my jet-lagged state, I ended up oversleeping past the check-out time, but the friendly staff told me that there were no worries, and to just check out as soon as I was able. Since I wasn't leaving until the evening, I left my luggage behind the desk and went to see the sights.

The hotel is very centrally located to everything in Arles--I came and went all day dropping off recent purchases and fetching needed items from my baggage. After spending the day sight-seeing, I was able to use the free guest computer to send a few emails, and had a lovely dinner before leaving.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. My only disappointment was that I only had one night scheduled at Le Calendal. I would stay here on a return trip to Arles in a heartbeat.

what a nice place

by TripAdvisor Member jet029

Arles – Hotal Le Calendal

Sometimes you come across a “find” that makes all the travelling and your trip worthwhile. The Calendal Hotel located across the road from the Roman Arena (Amphitheatre), is a site worth exploring. Our room with its own terrace was decorated in the French style of yellow and blue, and overlooked a beautiful garden where breakfast is served daily. This beautiful floral oasis starts your day off on a happy note with beautiful flowers, palm trees and small tables covered with real linen tablecloths. Parking is available at 7€ per day at the municipal parking down the hill from the hotel. The city of Arles itself is located on a hill overlooking the Rhone River. It’s picturesque with interesting areas right out of a postcard with an abundance of restaurants and boutiques. Try Lou Caleu Restaurant on rue Porte de Laure and Le Pistou on Ront-Point des Arènes for a delicious meal. Pass on Au Brin de Thym on rue du Dr. Fantom, where service is offered with “an attitude.”

What a great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Alyce_Stark_2004

Just returned from staying 5 days (Oct. 17-22) in this lovely hotel. We had read about La Calendal on line. Truly a nice place to stay. Room was quaint but lovely. We had a large patio off our room over looking the inner gardens. The staff was extremely helpful getting reservations for us for dinner. If you have a car you should ask for reserved parking. Not more than a 5 minute walk. Also, it is an older building so no elevators/lifts. We would go back again tomorrow...

Hotel Calendal GardenHotel Calendal Garden

Public Parking

by flatlander36

We will be staying for a week in Arles later this summer. We will have a rental car and our accomodations tell us there is public parking. first of all, is it readily available? Our apartment will be just across the street from the coliseum. Is it very expensive?

Thanks for any information,

by davequ

Parking in Arles is limited and a little expensive.

Please see the link below which pretty much tells you about private & public parking in Arles close to the Arena:

The hotel that posts this (leCalendal) is just a few meters south of the arena.
They have private parking for their guests, but when I was there (2001, 2003), there was also public parking for everyone just down the hill (west, towards theater antique) from the front of the hotel. Don't know if it is still "public" / available to anyone.

Further away south (across Blvd des Lices - a short 3-5 minute walk south from the arena and your apartment) is a big Public indoor parking lot (again, see link above) that charges $8.00 /day.

All these are by reservation. Since you are not staying at le Calendal I don't know if they will make the reservation for you, though I bet if you had breakfast or lunch in the garden the concierge would likely book it for you.

I think your best bet is to have the owner / landlord of your apartment book it for you in advance of your arrival if that is possible.

It appears the rates have gone up by almost 75% since I last parked a car there, but parking is scarce in old Arles center, and availability usually exceeds demand.
Hope this helps.

by flatlander36

Thank you for the wealth of information. We will indeed see about reservations for the week. Looking forward to seeing Arles!

by bluedenim31

I am curious if there are any formal links to information on the parking facilites

by nitrofan

Just a quick point, ALL parking on the cote D'Azure is at a premium during the season and some of the locals have developed an interesting method of fitting a car in a gap just hope and prey yours is not one of the two cars on either side of the gap!!! I saw a nice BMW ruined by this method in Sainte Maxime I di put the hooligans number under the windscreen wiper of the victim I just hope he got his revenge

Comments