Mercure Arles Camargue

Booking.com Hotels.com ibis Styles

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 26% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Arles

Annunciation (rt) and Joseph's Dream (lt)Annunciation (rt) and Joseph's Dream (lt)

The Saved Souls On FriezeThe Saved Souls On Frieze

View of Columns and SeatingView of Columns and Seating

The BuyerThe Buyer

What to do and where to stay in Arles?

by varulka

Hi, I'm a photographer and I'm planning to visit Arles within a month or two..
I would like some information about what to do (and see) there and where to stay.
Are there any cheap B&B?
Any kind of information will be usufull..

Thank u..
I.

by Redang

Arena, Roman Theatre, Church St. Trophime at Place de la République, in short, the old town

Well, thank you..
I already checked the VT tips, I was more interested on "less-touristic" information, houpefully from locals..
I passed twice from Arles on my way to Spain, and i fell in love with it's architecture and..smell.
So I wish to return,and this time to stay..

by varulka

Thnx a lot. That was really helpfull..

by juliafatima

Hi,

You already know what to visit in Arles so I'll just try to help with the hotels. Hotels are very expensive here considering quality.
There's 2 hotels equivalent of BB. "Premiereclasse" hotel is 40euros/night and "Etap hotel" 46€/Night. (same price for 1 or 2 persons).
Hotels are in "Fourchon" area, about 20 min walking(5min by bus) from the town center (I think "downtown" is more appropriate.. Sorry for my poor english lol). Anyway, those hotels are cheap, cleany, free wifi.
Hotels less than 65€ in the town center are disappointing, often too small or old.
Please find the links here and just let me know if you need more informations.

Julia

Thank you...:)

by Redang

Enjoy!

by ErnestT

Arles is a very nice old Roman city. But it is also very touristic. So if you look for uncrowded (but also very interesting spots), I would advise you to see the Barbegal roman aqueduct and mill which is very close. One of my preferred spots in Provence!

E.

Travel Tips for Arles

Drive the Beautifully Sunlit Provence

by davequ

If you got there by train, a trip to Arles/Provence is greatly enhanced by renting a car or motorcycle for a day or two.

Using Arles, Nimes, or Aix en Provence as a home base, I recommend side trips to Roman ruins in Glanum, Orange, Camargue, Nimes, Pont du Gard, Rasteau, Saint-Remy, Aix en Provence, .... anywhere you feel like going.

The ancient town of Les Baux, and the Wine Heaven of Chateauneuf du Pape should not be missed.
Aix-en-Provence is worth a whole other set of pages in itself.
Most of all, driving on the small side roads and two lanes through the beautifully lit countryside that has inspired so many artists is such a pleasure. Driving to Chateauneuf du Pape estate Caves de Fines Roches and sampling their wines from the cellars on their beautiful estate. Chateauneuf and the Cotes du Rhones are some of the good wines of the world imho.

All of Provence is heaven when it is sunny and the mistral is not blowing.
Such remarkable countryside painted with sunlight.

Le Petanque

by agarcia

My grandfather used to play petanque in the park next to our home. He even tried once to teach me the mechanics of the game... the stupid game, as I thought then. I didn't pay much attention to his explanations, which sounded incredibly boring to my younger and tender ears.

So when I found these guys playing petanque in a park not so different to the one I grown up, I immediately remember grandpa, and the intense look in his eyes while playing, calculating the distance to the objective and the exact impulse needed to reach the goal.

I don't speak a single word in French, but when this people noticed my interest in the game, they tried to talk to me, with signals, writing things down in the sand. And so they explained to me how the game works and many other things about themselves. For example, one of the players was 93 years old and he was still the best of them. This kind of moments, this kind of people. These are the real reasons for my travels...

Go for a Stroll

by Lady_Mystique

The ancient streets of Arles are rather difficult to manoeuvre with a car, unless it's one of the few main avenues,
so I would highly recommend parking your car somewhere safe and exploring the town on foot.
This is by far the best way to really get a feel for the place, and at a pace that allows you to stop and go as you please.

There are so many charming and fascinating places to be discovered along the numerous cobbled and narrow streets.
I found most of the best ones radiated from the Arles Amphitheatre.

And don't forget to take your dog along with you!
It's a great way to meet the locals, who seemed to be deeply attached to their canine companions.

Baths of Constantine

by Tom_Fields

These baths offer a look at how the Romans bathed, which they generally did daily whenever possible. The baths were a center of social life, where people gather and talk about the day. There were three main parts: the tepidarium, the caldarium, and the frigidarium. The first was lukewarm, the second hot, and the third cold. Bathers would enter them in that order. Then they would dry off. Slaves kept the fires burning to heat up the water. One can still see where they would toil, constantly moving new coals into the cavities beneath the water and sweeping out the ashes.

Local market

by akikonomu

This is definitely a must-see. It's colourful and lively - gaudy Provencal skirts billowing in the breeze, fruits and vegetables of many colours and smell.

Try some of their local honey with flavours like lavender, and don't miss buying the fruits that are in season.

Do not attempt to take photographs of the locals without permission. Perhaps they are more exposed now, but we witnessed an old lady scolding a photographer.

Comments