Auberge Bagatelle

Hostelworld.com

Tags

Budget Travel Historical Travel
Nemorino's Profile Photo

Youth hostel on the island

by written on July 4, 2014

In the 1960s I began a short story with the words: “The youth hostel at Avignon is on an island in the Rhone River.”

This story was important to me at the time because it was the only story of mine that ever won a prize and one of the few that I ever earned any money from. The prize money was one hundred dollars, which was enough to keep me in postage stamps for several months.

The story was called “Evenings in Europe and Asia” and dealt mainly with my military service in Vietnam, which is why I have posted it as a travelogue on my Tinh Binh Duong page here on VirtualTourist.

Half a century later I went looking for this youth hostel. I think this is it, the campsite, youth hostel and hotel Bagatelle on Barthelasse Island near the Daladier Bridge.

Second photo: Entrance to the campground and youth hostel. Since I have not stayed at this hostel for over half a century, I’m afraid I can’t say anything about the current quality of the accomodation. (At the time it was fine.)

Third photo: View from Vélopop’ station 06, in front of the Youth Hostel. Fifty years ago there was of course no Vélopop’ station here, though I was in fact travelling by bicycle at the time. This was a stop on my bicycle trip from Barcelona to Frankfurt am Main by way of Narbonne, Sète, Nîmes, Tournon, Lyon, Chalon, Besançon, Belfort, Mulhouse, Bruchsal, Heidelberg, Darmstadt and various places in between.

Fourth photo: View of Avignon from the shore of Barthelasse Island in front of the youth hostel.

Address:Île de la Barthelasse, 25 Allée Antoine Pinay, 84000 Avignon
Directions: On Barthelasse Island near the Daladier Bridge.
Vélopop’ station 06, Barthelasse.
Phone: +33 4 90 86 30 39
Website: http://www.campingbagatelle.com/56/auberge-jeunes

Next: Hôtel Monclar

supercarys's Profile Photo

Camping, Hostel Accommodation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2006

The hostel part of the campsite is satisfactory, it's not fantastic but the rooms are spacious with 4-6 beds per dorm. The beds are fairly comfortable.

The ground is a little hard but still fairly easy to put a tent up in.

Unique Quality: This campsite is very close to Avignon, within a ten minute walk. It is very easy to get to Avignon city from the site - it's a straight line from the campsite and you just follow the road.

Directions: Follow signs to Avignon centre then to Barthelasse. On the middle of the first bridge you cross, turn right into the camping grounds.

djou_box's Profile Photo

Camping in Avignon

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 16, 2004

I don't remember exactly which camping it was... any way, one you cross the bridge (the entire one !) you step down the stairs and the camping is right here !
it's not very expensive, nice place, we didn't reserve but we had a place during the theatre festival...

Directions: as I said : after the long bridge (when you come from the center) go down the stairs and here it is...

Nearby Auberge Bagatelle

4 Photos of Auberge Bagatelle

View Professional Photos

Avignon Travel Forum

Need advice about Avignon, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Avignon and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Avignon hotel reviews