90, avenue de la Badine, Hyeres, 83400, France
More about Hyères
Old town roof tops.
Sundial "les Rangers"
Casino des Palmiers
Art Nouveau style
Travel Tips for Hyères
Église Anglicane, 22 avenue Andrée de David de Beauregard
Since 1825-1830, there has been an important Protestant community, mainly of British vacationers. Several buildings were one after the other used as a church. Godillot gave a piece of land and a grant to build in 1884 an Anglican church, drawn by Chapoulart in neo-gothic style on the model of English churches. It was consecrated in 1884 by the bishop of Gibraltar and used as a church until 1950. It is now used for cultural shows.
11 bis avenue des Îles d'Or was the oldest hotels of Hyères, Hôtel de la Marine, already mentioned in 1718. It was first rebuilt in 1837 as Hôtel des Ambassadeurs (Ambassador's Hotel) and was then the best prized hotel of the Côte d'Azur. In order to compete with the newly built Palaces of the Côte d'Azur, it was built another time in 1869 as Palais Lutetia and is still standing under its aspect but is not a hotel anymore but turned into private apartments. Victor Hugo was among its famous customers. It is a fine example of Napoleon III style with the caryatides standing at the ground level on the northern and western fronts.
Monument aux Morts
On Place Théodore Lefebvre, the Monument aux Morts (War Memorial) is topped by a woman holding a spear. On two sides, it bears an impressive list of citizens from Hyères that died at WW1. The two other sides bear the names of citizens that died at WWII and at the war in Algeria.
Presqu'île de Gien
Presqu'île de Gien is not really an off the beaten path destination but as it is outside of the town, though administratively a part of Hyères, I have chosen to put here a link with the special page Presqu'île de Gien
Landscape on Hyères from the castle
In front of the main entrance into the castle, a wide space has been arranged. It is possible to park, if you had chosen to drive to the castle. From this terrace, there is a wide view on the Eastern part of the city (left on the photo). In the background, on the right and center, the sea. In the far background (left), the peninsula with the castle of Bregançon, holidays home for the Presidents of the Republic.