444 Kanekapolei Street, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Aston Aloha Surf Hotel

Loved the Aston Aloha Surf

I went to Hawaii on April 18th with my friend and I. My boyfriend attends college there and I wanted to surprise visit him. I didn't want to spend alot on a hotel but still wanted good quality. When we arived at the Aloha Surf we were greeted very nicely and the staff was more than happy to answer any of our questions and offer their suggestions on which tours to take. The rooms weren't huge but for more then enough for one or two people to stay in and they were nice and neat. I have read some very bad reviews about this hotel before I came there and was very woried about how it would turn out but I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from staying there. I would definitely do it all over again and I recommend it for the good price and good quality!

Aston Aloha Surf is Excellent

Aloha! Carla here~~> "Should you find yourself staying here, I hope you find all the Aloha many of us happy guests at, "The Aston Aloha Surf" have" ;-) ... It was by mistake we ended up staying at the "Aston Aloha Surf", but one I would surely do again...Where I wanted to stay was all booked, well into August...I was scrambling for a place, at the last hours...I researched and researched, but wasn't finding anything, and then I ran across one of the best mistakes I have yet made! ;-)

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a real sweet man (sorry I have forgotten your name) (Lance)? You were so sweet and had a country-mile-wide smile; you let me check out 3 different rooms, before I made up my mind ;-) Our room was more than I expected after reading the many negative comments about "The Aston Aloha Surf"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We stayed in room 801 05/19/04, and sadly left May 28, 04 ;-( ... I almost questioned myself about noise levels (It was almost too quiet) -- Having lived on Kuhio Ave. in 1982 (2465 Kuhio), I had expected there might be some noise...After a long flight from Sioux City, Iowa via Minneapolis (8 plus hours) ~~> I was quite pleased to stand in a hot shower for a good 20 minutes at least~~Each morning I had a great shower, as well as a few at night...(loved the water pressure~~That is very important to me, since I love hard pounding water, and soft flowing, too--one can get several flows from the shower head--which was real nice) ... My honey loved his showers, as well ;-)
We smelled only our sweet lei's for the first few nights, and then, had our candle going when in our room and getting comfy, after many fun long days and romantic evenings, of enjoying beautiful Oahu ;-) My honey still has his first packet of Kona coffee we received the first day (we are saving it)...I brought coffee along (which we never even used--IMO, A good hint for guests who don't want to buy coffee while there (after the first night) at the wonderful "Aston Aloha Surf" ;-)
It is true the kitchenette is very small, but we didn't really need it, with "Perry's Smorgasbord" just a good softball throw, (or maybe that's a Sammy home-run) towards the Ocean, from the front steps of the "Aston Aloha Surf." ("Perry's", Very reasonably priced, tasty, and a pleasant atmosphere--Waterfalls, candles, etc.) 9.95 for Dinner or Supper as Ken calls it...I challenge anyone to say that they can't get enough filling food or find something very tasty there--in other words, "Perry's" gets a 4 from this ole gal;-) The hotel staff was more than accommodating during our stay. One night I did laundry well into the wee hours; The laundry area (which is in the basement) is opened 24 hours and one uses a key to enter the small tidy area, making it a relatively safe place to do laundry late at night, or in the wee hours of the morning--There's 2 W machines and 2 dryers, I believe--Both 1.25 to use--I suggest going to ("The Grocery Outlet" 1199 Dillingham Blvd) which sells frozen and canned foods as well as housewares, health and beauty care products, and other such items--yet, not in bulk like other discount stores, but individual sizing, etc. -- And, there's ("Price Busters" 1505 Dillingham Blvd) too, for checking out reasonable prices for your laundry soap (I bought a bottle for 1.00 and left most of it in the room ;-) -- I brought along fabric softener sheets to keep our luggage smelling fresh, and for laundry I anticipated might need to be done..."The Grocery Outlet" would be for checking out the reasonable prices for food (if you plan to use your kitchenette) --- There's also a store not far from "The Grocery Outlet" that has a 10 dollar annual fee, with many great buys...Can't think of the name of it, but ask a local, they'll tell you where it is ... Another tip: Instead of buying block ice for days you may plan to spend a day at another beach or another area on the island, freeze an empty juice or milk carton, and that will work well in your ice chest, it's less messy, and will leave you with cold water, should that become necessary ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the wee hours of doing laundry, I had a great conversation with the neatest lady. (Nikki, thank you so much for putting up with me, and turning me on to Hawaii's ("IZ of Hawaii") Your Aloha spirit will live with me always! ... I know I have spelled your name incorrectly, but you know I know, you are one special lady!!! I do hope you enjoy the little song thing I put together for you on my webpage about your most wonderful hotel and excellent hospitality from the whole hotel Staff! ;-) Mahalo!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had no problem at all with our air conditioner--Kept it at 60 degrees and actually had to turn it off a couple times ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many have remarked about about how small the rooms are at "The Aston Aloha Surf" ... Ken and I are not newlyweds~~> However, being in a smallish room (not that small--if you know Waikiki) We felt like newlyweds, I must say, ;-) ... We never used the pool; (I did look at it one morning after our daily free continental breakfast, and the pool looked very clean and inviting) We were lucky to hit the beach just one day the whole duration (went to Kailua Bay Beach--A very pretty beach--check it out, is my suggestion) ... We were too busy driving around the Island; I had to show Ken the "Leeward" side where I lived in Nanakuli, Makaha, and things from the past, that most tours won't take you to or show you ;-) If you are renting a car-the garage is easy to get in and out of, we never had any problems, and we were in a Grand-Am, -- true the parking is 8.00 a day but that is also true for most of Waikiki--and many hotels costs more than 8.00...Renting a car one can check out the Leeward side, all the way to the last beach (As far as one can go--just a little past that) IMO, The Leeward Side is not only interesting, but has some of the prettier beaches IMO, and there is an excellent golf course in Makaha Valley...There's also an interesting cave almost at the end of that side, with a marker across the street that explains a little about the cave ;-) ... That cave saved my life back in 1982--Long story ... I was real happy to read the marker that is now across the street; I now believe I know why the cave was my protector way back when...There's a lot of interesting history all throughout Oahu, ancient folklore, taboo's etc. --- Locals are happy to talk about such things if you ask them ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One night while walking down the main street ---The one by the beach--We were lucky to watch a man with beautiful McCaw's, and a beautiful young lady holding 4 or 5 of them; maybe it was 6 very colorful birds...Ken held a brilliant green one, which fell asleep on his finger ;-) ... The fascinating experience found me chatting with a very nice couple...Strangely, the man knew my ex--The friendly tourist worked for World Airways when World Airways was still in Oakland, Ca. (My ex was W. A. Stores Super/they knew one another because of that)... That couple had to leave in the morning; I sure enjoyed talking with them, and talking about Bob. Bob is with God now (1991)...That was really neat crossing their path and sharing our journeys! That is something that is really neat about Oahu, IMO--All the people one meets, all the journeys traveled, and shared ;-) Many fine people shared their wonderful experiences with us, with respect to the "Aston Aloha Surf" and other things Oahu~~Belle, if you ever read this, it was a real pleasure meeting another happy guest from "The Aston Aloha Surf"--Hope you made it to the airport on time! ;-)

For all of you lucky enough to stay in room 801, as you well know, it does in fact face the street~~> We never heard any noises that woke us up or disturbed us. I had no clue the walls are "hear through walls"; hope we didn't offend anyone, hehe ;-0 ... We would definitely stay again! IMO, Spend the extra money one would have to spend (for a room on the beach, or across the street from the beach) to enjoy lasting heartprints you'll cherish always, is my thinking! ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We never waited 15 minutes for either elevator--There are two, that is true...Actually, when they were a little slow (which wasn't very often) we'd get in an extra kiss, breather, or remember something we may have forgotten had we been rushing. In Hawaii, "Take it Easy, Enjoy, Hang Lose" ... That's my thinking ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would like to suggest something to any family of 4...Where I was going to stay is a real decent place IMO, and has plenty of room for a family of 4, IMO...It varies on the price, but averages around 600. for a week per suite (different people own units in the Condo) There are several webpage's on this particular Condo. However, They are booked well in advance, I learned! I have stayed there (past tense) with my Mother and a young lady (friend) ... Each unit has it's own full kitchen/dishwasher/full frige/W&D/FREE parking/many things not at the Aloha Surf; The units IMO, are great for a family, or guests who like to stay in (more or less) or cook, etc. ... You will not find the Aloha Spirit there that you find at The Aloha Surf, unless it's different now, and or you totally make your own/That's always a good possibility, too ;-)...There is a guard at the front desk area (A very small area) They have a nice pool, and barbecue area, if it's still the same as in 98 or 99...I have omitted the name so as to not break any guidelines with this write-up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I did LOL about the curtains at "The Aston Aloha Surf"...I noticed that ours gave us a light show, hehe ... But, like I told Ken, "If I was going to stay in during the day, why be in Hawaii on vacation?" ;-)...It just added to the sweet uniqueness of the Aloha Surf--When I did notice the peculiar light show (one early morning, I realized I wasting time sleeping ;-) ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had a wonderful stay at the "Aston Aloha Surf" ... Great people and I have only Mahalo's for all of our hosts and the excellent staff, etc. ... I only wish it was longer!
The thing we liked most about the Aloha Surf is the such happy-go-lucky smiling hosts, ~~ Location, location, (Close to the beach, restaurants, shopping, excitement, etc.) ~~ and the continental breakfast hits the spot for coffee, juice, muffins, toast, etc. (I only went twice; Ken went every morning/I'm a night owl--too early for me-7-9 AM?)...
There at The Aston Aloha Surf lives a special feeling of true Aloha in the air!--It is a pleasant motel for the money, no doubt! ... If you are going to be driven anywhere, rent a car (which I highly recommend as previously noted) ... The reason I highly recommend driving yourself, are at least two fold..."The Bus" is slow, and impersonal, and it doesn't go to some of the more remarkable places, like the last beach on the "Leeward" side...I think "The Bus" only goes as far as Makaha Valley Plantation--I could be mistaken, too...I know it takes a long time to get there via "The Bus"...The bus is slow, oftentimes very crowded, and at best, it's difficult to take along all the things one might want to take for a daily discovery adventure, such as beach wear, ice chests, etc., not to mention any shopping one might do (finding treasures along the highways and byways of beautiful Oahu ;-) And, if you are a smoker, why put yourself through all that, too? ;-)
Anyway, Try driving out of a Beach front Motel parking place to go somewhere on/from
Kalakaua Avenue, (if you find a parking space--and forget what it will cost per night to park--much more than the "Aloha Surf")--- ... And, if you are out of shape like we are, try walking to "Kuhio Beach" from a hotel on the end of the beach where it begins from the Ala Moana End--where many of the more expensive hotels are ;-) (Kuhio Beach, being the beach I prefer--it's better for swimming, and watching the young ones catch a wave, etc., IMO)... I could write and write why the "Aloha Surf" is one of the better places to stay for a short stay, IMO, but this is plenty long...

I will be updating my noncommercial webpage soon (personal page about my experience at "The Aston Aloha Surf")... More tips, etc. -- Keep in mind, "To each his or her own" ... I think we all have different reasons and taste, so who am I to say that one might be a happy or unhappy guest if one stays at "The Aston Aloha Surf"--I think it is sad to NOT just enjoy and be happy to be in paradise!!!
;-) Mahalo!

Thanks again Nikki, for making our Stay even more special than it already was...I love listening to Hawaii's "IZ of Hawaii" ... You were right!!! For anyone reading this, If you like my "Aloha Surf" personal noncommercial webpage, you'll love and feel the Aloha Spirit at "The Aston Aloha Surf" ;-)

I would love for you to sign the guest book on my webpage, if you stayed at the Aston Aloha Surf~~>Especially, if you stayed in room 801...Or just sign it if you stayed in Oahu or want to, etc. ;-)
In Wyoming (several years ago), this motel had a guest book in the room (one in each room) and called them a dream book--I thought that was so neat! It was real interesting to read where people were from, their travels/journey, and what was on their mind, etc. ...
I believe that is what I love most about the "Concrete Jungle of Ohau"--One gets to meet and mingle with folk from all over the world, everyday, and everyday it's someone different, usually. Ha! -- Though it's a mass of concrete, it's always alive with all of our dreams, and the Aloha in the air, if we just look for it, and do it, IMO--Which IMO, is all found at "The Aston Aloha Surf" ;-) Oh, and the weather--that's just an added bonus!!!
"IZ of Hawaii" says it all, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World"...
Mahalo to all at The Aloha Surf!!!
I would list my URL listed but maybe that would cause my write-up to be unacceptable? I just don't know, so I won't put it in this write-up ...

Sincerely,
Ken & Carla, Very happy guests of "The Aston Aloha Surf" ;-)
PS Don't forget to pack your daily delivered newspaper to your room, in your luggage--I'm still reading my nine newspapers ;-)
Aloha and Mahalo! ;-)

A comfortable stay

by TripAdvisor Member MisConMike

First, a few particulars: I'm a 43 year-old male, making this (my first) Hawaii trip alone. I arrived late on a Sunday night to find that they had upgraded my standard room to one of their junior suites due to "over-booking." They allowed me to retain this room for both nights of my stay, while charging me only for the standard room rate. Ahhh, Aloha at work already! Yes, even the junior suite was small, especially when compared to the other major hotel chains. And yes, the noise from the garbage trucks was clearly audible up on the 16th floor - but keep in mind that this is a common complaint that applies to nearly all of the non-beachfront hotels in Oahu! I found the hotel staff (receptionists, maintainance workers, and room attendants) to be quite friendly and helpful - they even suggested (local, inexpensive) places to shop to avoid being "gouged." While my stay at the Aston Aloha Surf Hotel was brief - I was already booked into another hotel for the rest of my trip - *I* found it quite comfortable.

I loved this hotel!

My husband and I stayed at the Aston Aloha Surf for our honeymoon, and we loved it!. One can't be too picky when you're on a budget. The rooms are ideal for two people and the staff are very nice and answer all questions. I will soon be going back to Hawaii and I will be staying there again. If you're like me, and you're on a limited budget, this hotel is the perfect option. Think about it? It doesn't matter where you stay at, you're in Hawaii!

Paradise Lost

Upon our arrival, we were greeted no less by a hostile hostess. The room we were assigned to was not the proper room which we had reserved.
In fact this room resembled a bit like a cell in Alcatraz. The ceiling height was so low that I could reach it without tiptoing (I'm 5' 7" tall) and the "twin beds" was inappropriate for a couple. After expressing our displeasure with this erroneus arrangement, we where transferred to their "deluxe" suite which did not even compare to the a regular suite at the Stockton, CA Marriott. The noise level was unbearable, and the next morning, they did not not have hot water for the showers. To top that, the shower curtain rod was not proper secured, this came crashing down (luckily we were not injured). With having to stay in this horrible suite, we found some solace in the fact that Honolulu is still a nice city (for its size) to visit. should you want to see this city, stay anywhere but here.

Loved it...

You get much more than you pay for at this hotel.
Exceptionally clean, very friendly people at the reception desk, in the breakfast area and the bell hop service. Don"t have a single complaint about the hotel. It's only two or three blocks from Wakiki Beach. Would love to stay there again if we get back to Oahu some day.

Our stay was great!

by TripAdvisor Member dolliesilver

I've stayed in Oahu many times before this trip and my friends and I wanted a nice clean place close to the beach, at a great price. We were rewarded with a great staff (jennifer was a real sweetheart) clean rooms, and a wonderful aloha presence. The lowest priced rooms are extremely small so for just a little more $ upgrade to a larger room and you'll find a great place to stay for the best price in town... Lets face it if your going to Hawaii the last place you want to stay in is your room..The staff were truely some of the sweetest people I've met on the island!!! We truely thankyou and Mahola!

One Could Do Better For The Money

by TripAdvisor Member Tommy2pdx

Spent a long 4 day weekend here a coupla years back and my feeling is "Never again!". While the outside and lobby appear aesthetically pleasing, the rooms themselves (at least the one we had) were shabby. Why was Waikiki built with so much cinderblock? Admittedly, we booked a short time ahead and got a budget class room but that shouldn't mean an experience that's shortchanged. We got what I am sure was their dumpiest room on the 3rd floor that had 2 Murphy beds and a carpet whose color reminded me of baby puke. The bathroom was microscopic. Other negatives: parking was 10.00 a day in slots so narrow it took a shoehorn to squeeze into, street noise, flimsy louvred windows, a pathetic pool and THE LONGEST WAITS for an elevator that I have ever endured. We finally gave up and used the stairs....probably a good thing as the exercise would do one good. Positives: a grocery store right next door, easy access to H-1 and plentiful variety of restaurants along Kuhio. If you stay here, caveat emptor! You can do better for your hard earned dollar.

needs improvement

The hotel was nice but it needs some improvements. There was a tiny room air conditioner only in the room and to get any air to where the bed was I had to have a fan in the room. The headboards for the bed need to be bolted either to the beds or to the wall. Every time any one in the next room made any kind of movements on the bed the headboard would bang up against the wall waking me up. Also I do not know when they last cleaned the filter in the air conditioner it was filthy. If any one from the hotel reads this go and clean all of the filters in your rooms, it does not take that long. The rest of the hotel was nice and clean. The location was great, with in walking distance to many things. The staff that I dealt with was great and helpful no problems with them. Very promt in response to the few little things that I asked about. The maid who cleaned my room was great, real friendly. Thank you for everything.

nice & convienent

we flew on the hawaaian air direct flight out of vegas tour plan from american west stayed at the aloha aston surf & was happy / everything celebrated our 50 th & was treated nicely

Comments