Adagio City Aparthotel Marseille Prado Plage

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Marseille

Marseille Airport BusMarseille Airport Bus

Basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde (Marseille, FrancBasilique Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde (Marseille, Franc

Le Chateau d'IfLe Chateau d'If

Notre Dame de la garde and Saint Victor AbbeyNotre Dame de la garde and Saint Victor Abbey

Marseille

by Ineedtogo

After reading the Trips and Dangers section of the Marseille section, I'm second guessingmy trip to this city. from what I read, people were saying to avoid the city entirely! Is this true, or should I avoid these comments, and go to the city anyway! I mean, I went to Naples, and people were telling me I was crazy, and I loved Naples. Should I go to Marseille??

by TheWanderingCamel

Of course you should go to Marseilles. Just use your common sense and be alert..

by Maryimelda

Steven, you love Naples and have never had a problem there. You live in New York and you love it. Why shouldn't you go to Marseilles? By all means do your research, but don't overdo it either, if you know what I mean. You may be talking yourself out of something that you will love if you are too overcautious. Marseilles is the gateway to a wonderful part of France. Concentrate on that and do as leyle has suggested and take the normal and sensible precautions. If you are still worried about it, there are other wonderful places in the area to make your base. Maybe you could have a rethink without changing your plans too much. It seems to me a shame if you do decide not to go. You have really looked forward to it. Be 100% certain before you change your plans.

by puerto_lover

Watch "French Connection" - great film - sorry 'movie'.

by leics

Steven, you are 14 and will be travelling with your family (who, I suspect, will make the final decision about where you visit). I am certain none of you will be visiting locations which might be considered in the least 'iffy'.

You will be perfectly safe, just as you were in Naples, and I am sure your family will take note of any dangers or warnings which are relevant.

by acloud

My husband and I spent a few days in Marseille and loved it. We were a little hesitant after reading some the the "warnings", but we had a great time. We speak no French and our English is heavily tainted with a thick Texas accent (sorry, but it happens!), yet we were always able to find a kind person to help us if we became too lost. We even spent some time lost in a neighborhood which we found out later needed to be avoided if at all possible and never felt threatened. Would I take that chance again? Probably not, but it proves that you are not destined to be mugged just because you happen to stroll in an area that is a little more gritty. Be sensible and be careful. The Notre Dame de la Garde was breathtaking. We even took a boat ride around the Calanques with a French speaking guide. It was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

by arabella46

I don't like Marseille, it's just a huge commercial seaport. There are so many other lovely places to visit. Naples is much nicer than Marseille. I stayed 2 nights there and never again. Also as we were driving we found it so easy to get lost. Best to avoid altogether and head further west or north.

by Ineedtogo

Definitely, Marseille will be fine!

Travel Tips for Marseille

La Cité Radieuse-1: Outside

by BeChar

The "Glorious city" is a residential building designed in 1947 by Le Corbusier (Charles-
Edouard Jeanneret) and finished in 1952. The architecture was unique in using glass
and concrete. The result is a 50,000 ton building (160x24 m and 56 m high), supported by concrete pillars. Deep balconies and bright colors (red, green, yellow) are other particular external features.

6 such buildings were planned, but only one was realised.

Very good architectural reference at galinsky.

The Mediterranean, VIth century BC

by JLBG

In the museum, this map shows in green all the places that were under control or influence of the Greeks in the VIth century BC. In pale brown places under the control of the Phoenicians and in red what was under control of the Etrusques. The Greeks were by far the main rulers of the Mediterranean area.

Navettes - You may see or be...

by anglosaxon

Navettes - You may see or be served a Navette (there are three kinds but all the same shape) it's a bread roll served hot and commemorates the arrival of Saint Magdalene and Saint Martha to Marseille 2000 years ago.

Le Mistral

by Pierre_Rouss about Le Mistral

Highly recommended and not too touristy. I would recommend that you take a reservation (actually it is a must, you can not just drop by and say 'I want a bouillabaisse', it must be prepared and cooked). You may be jinxed by the high prices (it's not more expansive there), but remember it's no clam shouder. Of course the bouillabaisse. Probably the best I was told in Marseille.

Église Saint Ferréol

by JLBG

Église Saint Ferréol (Saint Ferreol Church) was built in 1875 on the Quai de Belges, at the bottom of the Vieux-Port and was the largest church of the city. It was built at the place where was the Couvent des Grans Augustins in the XIVth century.

Comments