Square Narvik, Esplanade Saint Charles, Marseille, Provence, 13001, France

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

A few meters from track 3

I must admit that I have never been a big fan of ibis hotels. The ones in Rostock and Innsbruck were adequate and conveniently located, but that was about all. (Except that their restaurant in Rostock was dreadful.) Also I have stayed in several other ibis hotels that I haven’t written tips about, but they weren’t much different.

In Marseille for the first time I found an ibis hotel that I really liked. It adjoins the railway station Saint Charles, on the south side, just a few meters from track 3 where the trains arrive from Toulon. I didn’t even know this when I booked the hotel, but it happened that I really did arrive from Toulon on track 3 and could see the hotel even before getting off the train.

The hotel seems quite new. It is pleasant and well equipped. The internet connection worked fine and the views from my room were impressive (fourth and fifth photos).

Breakfast cost 9.00 Euros extra (I took it on two of the three days) but it was well worth the price. They even had little extras like a table of local and regional specialties, and little signs saying which kinds of food provided quick energy and which provided long-lasting energy.

The price for a single room would normally have been 86 Euros per night, but they had a special deal (only on their own website) with a 30% reduction if you stayed for three nights over the weekend, which was exactly what I needed. So I only paid 60.30 Euros per night, plus one Euro city tax.

The main reason I wanted to be so close to the station was that my train for Frankfurt left at 8:14 on Monday morning, which may not seem remarkable to you early risers, but for me it was still the middle of the night. (You may have noticed that there are no sunrise photos on my pages.)

When I was there in August 2012 they were just paving and rearranging Narvick Square, which is so new that it appears only on the newest maps. Not even the le vélo map has it, so they show the hotel a bit south of where it actually is.

Directions: Nearest le vélo bike stations 1299 and 1301. Approximate location on le vélo map.

Comments