1 out of 5 stars1 Star

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

More about Marseille

Frioul-If Express BoatFrioul-If Express Boat

Notre Dame de la GardeNotre Dame de la Garde

Le Frioul from the chateau d'IfLe Frioul from the chateau d'If

Sights and Transport in Marseille

by Archway

I’ll be visiting Aix-en-Provence in March 2010 for a few days. I am thinking of taking a day trip to Marseille (or perhaps somewhere else). Can anyone help me with the following –

1) Which bus can I get (if any) from Gare Saint Charles to Vieux Port? I know I can take the metro, but I want to avoid the metro as far as possible.
2) Can I get to the Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde from Vieux Port by bus? If so, what number should I look for?
3) Where is the Monument aux morts de l'Armée d'Orient et des terres lointaines (War Memorial on the Corniche)?

I’m also thinking of visiting the following sights –

• Rèformès-Canabière (Église des Réformés) [Tram 1]
• Palais de Longchamp [Tram 1]
• Cathédrale de la Major [Bus no. 55]
• Le Panier district [Bus no. 55]
• La Vieille Charité (2 Rue de la Charité, 13002) [Bus no. 55]

Considering that I’ll have about eight to nine hours to see Marseille have I covered the main sights?

Many thanks

Re: Sights and Transport in Marseille

by cubsur

Here's the Marseille bus map

looks like the 49 might do.

All the city transport information is on

A very hectic day! Enjoy.

Re: Sights and Transport in Marseille

by Archway

Thank you for the replies. I have found it most helpful. With the info I was able to get an idea of the bus routes and times. I found the bus map extremely useful.

pedmar: As usual, thank you so much for your valuable input. Using the bus map and your suggestion of taking bus no. 83, I was able to locate the Monument aux morts de l'Armée d'Orient et des terres lointaines on Google Maps. The approximate address is 161 Corniche du Président John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Marseilles. There is a but stop (Vallon des Auffes) right by the monument. Thank you as well for the info about the road works and construction.

The main sights I’m interested to see are -

1) Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde
2) Cathédrale de la Major
3) Vieux Port
4) Monument aux morts de l'Armée d'Orient et des terres lointaines (I’m really keen on taking the no. 83 bus here since it will give a pleasant drive along Corniche du Président John Fitzgerald Kennedy)

If I have time, I’ll try to see
1) Rèformès-Canabière (Église des Réformés)
2) Palais de Longchamp
3) La Vieille Charité & Le Panier district

I actually noticed that I got the tram wrong in my original post. It’s actually tram 2 that runs to Rèformès-Canabière (Église des Réformés) and Palais de Longchamp.

Travel Tips for Marseille

The Vieux Port is an ideal...

by AlfredSt

The Vieux Port is an ideal place for hanging about, with a glass of red wine, not doing anything but looking at the passers-by.
That's all you need after having climbed up the stairs to Notre-Dame de la Garde.

Apéritifs- le "pastaga"

by SSlatter

It is de rigeur for the Marseillais to have an apéritif or two before going out for an evening meal, and there is no more typical local apéritif than a glass of pastis, or "pastaga" as it is known locally. Served with ice and an accompanying jug of cold water, you can mix the strength yourself at your table.. but beware.. I would advise you to have no more than two before your meal. It is deceptively strong, and if you overimbibe, you may well turn up at the restaurant of your choice drunk, and your meal will be spoilt. Enjoy.

The park at Borely. You can...

by anglosaxon

The park at Borely. You can spend a morning in the park and maybe hire a boat for the lake. Then you can have a roast lunch at the Red Lion and swim in the afternoon at the L'Escale Borely Beach. Enjoy your day. (The Red Lion has disabled facilities and also allows pets)

al fresco moules

by SSlatter about Le Pirate

We were on the islands of Frioul when someone suggested lunch.. so we found ourselves in "Le Pirate" which is situated on top of a hill overlooking the port. There is seating outside for approximately 20 people and more seating inside. The dishes of the day were roast rabbit à la provençale, stuffed squid and moules marinières. After apéritifs, we four chose the mussels which duly arrived with their accompanying pommes frites. Now I have to say that I really enjoyed my moules, but my three french friends were not impressed, saying that there was too much use of cream in the sauce. I personally liked it though. We drank the house rosé which was great value at 7.50 euros a bottle. We followed up with two plates of cheese and coffee. The coffee was poor. The bill for 4 came to 78.60 euros, 28.60 of which was drinks. Worth a visit if you`re on Frioul and fancy something not too pricy.

The postal card of Marseille

by floche2001

How could you think about Marseille wihout its old harbour ? it's like Paris without the Eiffel Tower or Brussels without the Atomium. it's simply a must see.
Though, the traffic is there at its max, and conseqeuntly the noise, i suggest you to visit the harbour in the morning to see the spectacle of the fishmarket. Sold by the fishermen's wifes, i have rarely seen so fresh fish. So fresh that you can buy it still alive.
Be also attent at the plate on the ground explaining that all begin there 2600 years ago, making of Marseille the oldest town in France

Comments