Moderne Hotel Menton

Moderne Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Menton

villagevillage

music festival paintingmusic festival painting

Chapel of the RosaryChapel of the Rosary

The beachThe beach

What to do

by wardy51

We will be flying into Nice for 3 nights in March. I have stayed at Nice before
and was wondering whether there would be enough to do if we stayed in Menton instead for the 3 nights, or would 2 be enough,with one night in Nice or somewhere else. Are there any must visit restaurants, lively bars and places to visit (by train or bus) into Italy for example.

RE: What to do

by nicolaitan

Menton is a delightful place we only passed through, but it is on the train line to Nice and all the other seaside cities. There are several nice pages on VT to check out for Menton. I must admit that I, and at least one other regular who I forget right now, were somewhat disappointed with San Remo and Ventimiglia. But there are so many good seaside villages and hilltowns in the area such as Dolceacqua in Italy with the great little bridge.

RE: What to do

by NiceLife

The Menton scene is very much elderly retired - not the most fruitful setting for lively bars and bands, eh? Nice has a lot of new stuff opening up and if that's your thing you wont do better on the Riviera.You may have been there once but Nice is more than a one visit place. You could base in Nice and from there I am told the Stars and Bars in Monaco is a hot place. But trust me you wont beat a city full of real people with a tax haven or retirement ghetto.

Cheers
Andrew

by nicolaitan

well, as I stated, it looked nice passing through. May reflect my advancing years. :((

by NiceLife

I didn't intend to offend - I had in mind people at leasr twenty years your senior. Or more!

by nicolaitan

NO NO NO First I don't take offense at much anything. In any case, you could not have known my age and it doesn't matter at all. We drove everywhere along the coastline as well as into the nearby hills and loved every bit of it. But one can't stop everywhere. Coming across the border not on the autostrada everything looks cleaner and better maintained so Menton was a pleasant change.

by NiceLife

Indeed - after the slightly chaotic life of Liguria I expect Menton was a pleasant improvement. Thats my only explanation for why the Italians so delight in pouring across the border to the Eastern Riviera, whilst the main reason the French go the other way is to shop cheaply.

That said, I love Italy - even the North. But let me at Milan....

Travel Tips for Menton

a day trip to monaco-montecarlo

by call_me_rhia

An easy and interesting day trip from Menton is that to the principality of Monaco-Montecarlo. There are frequent trains getting there - several each hour at peak times - and the entire trip doesn't take longer than 15 minutes. Alternatively there are regular buses.

Monaco-Montecarlo is more than posh cars and expensive shops... the Grimaldi palace is very nice - and so is the old town. The oceanographic museum is top class and the entire city is dotted with wonderful statues. And, of course, there is more... a lot more to see.

Ferdinand Bac's villa "Les Colombieres"

by NiceLife

Ferdinand Bac, a French illustrator, cartoonist, writer and garden designer in the nineteen twenties, idealised all of his many visions in this stunning villa and exotic garden in upper Menton. Accessible only by a very steep climb from the Boulevard Garavan, this breathtaking "project" - more than a mere villa - is decorated in fabulous designs referring to Greek, Roman, Mediterranean and Moorish influences.

Little can be seen from the exterior here - and high fences around the perimiter of the fantastic garden ensure total privacy. However visits are possible organised through the tourist office, however only for guided groups during July and early August.

The only way I could think to become a "group" was to stage a Peter Sellers routine - enter the tourist office to request a visit, leave, and return two minutes later with a moustache affixed and demand a visit, to then return two minutes later with a hat on and demand a visit....

It is worth it. I have seen pictures and this is no ordinary place. So much did he not want to leave the paradise he had created. Ferdinand Bac is buried within the garden.

L'hotel d'Adhemar de Lantac

by NiceLife

L'hotel d'Adhemar de Lantac is not any longer, as its name suggests, a hotel, but the residence of the menton heritage organisation which organises trips to the main historical, gardens and other places of and culture interest. It also houses an interesting collection of paintings, and books on everything local, such as Cocteau in Menton, the exotic gardens of Serre La Madonne and Val Rameh. Call in for the daily itinerary that month.

Urban living - of a different era

by NiceLife

Thread your way up through the jumble of tiny houses, all proudly maintained by the residents of the old town. Doorways garlanded with geraniums, bouganvilia and mimosa snatching at shafts of sunlight.

Mon tour en Menton

by emilesc

I'm going to go out on a limb and write about a subject I've neglected in my Cote d'Azur travelogue. And that's Jean Cocteau. :-)

Menton is just minutes from the Italian border, known for being the brightest spot on the Cote d'Azur with an average of 300 days of sun each year. One of these days I will explore more of what Menton has to offer.

Unfortunately, this time around, I had only a few hours in Menton before I met with my boss in Cannes, so I only had time to (re)visit the Musee Cocteau which is at Port Vieux. I'd visited for the first time 13 years ago.

I took a shuttle bus directly from Nice airport to Menton. Turned out the bus took a scenic route through the windy streets of Monaco en route, turning a 30 minute drive into an hour-long one. Since my time was short, this was a bit irritating, but ultimately was for the best because that's probably the closest I'll ever get to Monte Carlo (let's face it - high roller I am not). The drive was beautiful, but not a little unnerving - as the bus hugged the narrow curves of the steep, rail-less roads, I remained acutely aware that I might have been traveling the same roads on which Grace Kelly was killed. *shudders*

Fortunately, I arrived in one piece at the Menton Casino, which is about 1/2 mile from the museum and the town hall. More on this trip in the "must see" area.

Comments