Orly

The museumThe museum

MentonMenton

Train travel from Menton France to Florence Italy

by atravelmama2005

Has any one travel by train this route?
When is the best time of day to travel from Menton to Florence? Should we travel during the day or should we travel by night train?.

by Beausoleil

We haven't taken the train; we've driven, but please go during the day. It is an absolutely beautiful ride. It will be lovely because you can both look at the views instead of one having to keep an eye on the road.

Have a good trip.

RE: RE: Train travel from Menton France to Florence Italy

by atravelmama2005

That's is what we thought.

RE: RE: Train travel from Menton France to Florence Italy

by atravelmama2005

I want to ask also has any stayed at the Hotel MEDITERRANEE @5, rue de la Republique in Menton? How is that hotel, area etc? We will be traveling down from Paris overnight arriving at 9a, how far is hotel from Menton Gare? Can one walk or take a bus?

by Beausoleil

Their web site is:

It says they are right downtown within walking distance of the sea. It also said, and I quote, "The nearest train stop is "Menton" 800 m from hotel (not "Menton garavan")10 minutes walking, or take a taxi in front of the train station."

It sounds like you'll be fine. It looks nice; it's centrally located; it is near the train station.

Menton is beautiful. You should enjoy it. Have a good trip.

by beejay421

I have traveled from Menton to Florence and also to Viareggio. If you don't want to transfer and want more options than you can find on trenitalia.com go to Ventimiglia and book your ticket. It is only 5 minutes or so by train and we found the price to be cheaper and we had more options for traveling without transfering in Genoa.
If you are at all claustrophobic don't do a night train that has triple bunks. Opt for a double or single compartment. I found the day train very interesting as the scenery was beautiful and constantly changing.

Travel Tips for Menton

In Menton one commemorates in a graceful way

by Pavlik_NL

The war monument for all fallen soldiers and civilians in Menton is very beautiful and stand in the pedestrian streets. The small flowerbed surrounding a white stone sculpture of a woman looks fine and gives a warm hearted feeling. This is the way one should keep the memory of loved ones.

Basilique St-Michel

by call_me_rhia

Basilique St-Michel is a Baroque Basilique located on a delightful square called Parvis St-Michel and covered with pebblestones in mosaic style. You can see its 53 metres high bell tower (built in 1701) from everywhere in Menton.

The basilique is open every day from 10 to midday and in the afternoon from 3 to 5. The nave and chapels are covered in frescoes and contain several works by Genovese artists. Not to miss is the 17th-century organ and the grimaldi coats of arm - dating back to the time when Menton was part of the Grimaldi's reign.

The beaches of Menton

by Pavlik_NL

Along the Boulevard du Soleil Menton has a long stretched beach, the Plages des Sablettes near the old town offer the best views. The "Sablettes" however should not be taken litteraly as sand is not available here. The gravle is fine, but still no sand. The water however clear and also for children the place is quite good, as the depth is only gradually going down.

Short Trip to Menton

by mikesch

"Getting there"

I was confused of how to get there. All I had was a booked flight from Frankfurt to Nice.
My wife eventually found out for me that Nice-St-Augustin railwaystation is real close to the airport.
So after inquiring at the information desk at Nice airport, I hitched the shuttle between terminals until 'Arenas' (bus driver was kind enough to point out the right station to me after I asked him how to get to the 'gare') and walked the rest. Information desk had also provided me with a map.
Having got there I had to find out that the train I hoped to take started at Nice's main railway station, which is the next stop. So I waited three quarters of an hour for the next train.
Tickets can be bought from a vending machine at the station. I helps a lot to be able to understand french to operate this machine.
Train took me to Menton in about 45 minutes. The train ride gives some spectacular views, not least of which is the underground station in Monaco.

I got out at Menton station and took a cab to my hotel "Paris-Rome". I later found out that the hotel is five minutes from the second station "Menton Garavan"

Not all trains stop at "Nice St Augustin" and the timetables I got off the airport's webpage were old. Watch out for this, better to consult with SNCF directly. If you know when the trains go, they are a nice way to get around. Alas, the trains don't follow any timepattern (as in "every hour at five past half" or so) so print out the whole table, and better find one to match the time of your stay.
I think it's pretty blockheaded for SNCF to change their timetables right before high season. Nice trap, thanks guys :)

"What to find where in Menton"

First thing I did on my first day (besides heading for a supermarket to buy sunscreen - DUH) was walk into centre-ville and find the tourist information in Palace de l'Europe, which is right dead centre on Avenue Boyer (of the two roads leading to the casino near the beach).

From there I got a map of the town, a plan for the bus going to and from Menton-Garavan (bus number 3) and a list of internet cafes.

In my hotel I found a brochure detailing events hosted by the town's tourist department (or something similar), which pointed me to a very nice musical tour of the easternmost garden. Tour was in French, though and I didn't get most of it. But the garden is closed at other times so I felt privileged.

Menton et la Cote d'Azur

by Chrystalain

"Cap Rouge"

"Plage de menton avec Fabrice/Menton's beach"

"Plage de Menton - beach"

"Plage de Menton - beach"

"Épices d'Eze/Eze's Spices"

La senteur qui se dégageait de cet endroit était paradisiaque!

The smell of this place was heaven!

"Eze - Carte Postale"

Eze est un village médiévale (forteresse) tout à fait exceptionnel!

Eze is a medieval village (fortress) completely exceptional!

"Eze"

Unfortunately, the best pictures of all my trip was not developped. It was in Eze, in a magnificient site, with my husband. But beleive me, Eze is worth the detour!

Malheureusement, la meilleure photo de TOUT mon voyage n'a pu être développée! C'était à Eze, un site enchanteur, avec mon mari et moi... Ça vaut la peine d'y aller, je vous le dis!

Comments