11 quai Rauba-Capeu, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06300, France

Costs 118% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel La Perouse

Mixed Bag on La Perouse

by TripAdvisor Member Cheledonna

We stayed four nights at Hotel La Perouse after a cruise in early October. The staff is wonderful; location fabulous; breakfasts nourishing. However, dated and faded furnishings... For a hotel that is 4* they don't put a double sheet on the bed over the blanket (made it feel like a best western) - which I asked them for and they fixed.... It seems to be moving towards shabby.... and the standard rooms are small with faded, dated furnishings (which they call provencal..). Charming place but not 4* quality in my opinion - travel alot.

A little piece of heaven

We visited Hotel La Perouse in August this year for our honeymoon and loved every minute. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms which was fairly small but with a fabulous and spacious balcony over-looking the sea. The staff were all brilliant, they couldn’t have been more helpful or friendly and the service was excellent. We had fresh fruit and sparking water brought to our room every day.

The location was brilliant as well. It is right next to the old town which I think is the nicest part of Nice. You literally walk out the front door and are on the sea front. Also, whilst the road is really busy and quite noisy, La Perouse is like a little oasis of calm and quiet. As it is quite high up the noise is somehow shielded when you are inside. The pool is gorgeous – quiet, peaceful and spacious with fresh towels every day. The pool toilet is the cleanest and most luxurious toilet I have ever seen!

The food is just lovely as well. We had the breakfast every day and there is a massive choice – bread, ham, croissants, bacon, eggs, yoghurt, cake, cereal, fruit etc. We also ate in the hotel a couple of times because the restaurant is good – service and food is excellent, although there isn’t much choice on the menu.

We plan to go back and had a fabulous time.

Hmmm

by TripAdvisor Member greendalef

Having read the reviews of La Perouse i'm not sure that I really understand the rave reviews.
Its plus points are: Great view (i was on the 4th floor) Nice staff, towel changes during the evening, bed turned down and chocolate on your pillow. Fruit on arrival. The minus points are: the lifts can be a pain when its busy. when i wake up in the morning I dont want a bottle of burgandy from the minibar nor a 4 euro (£2.80) can of coke.my immediate thought is coffee, lots of it. However your 285 euro/night rate does not include in room tea/coffee facilities. The most basic holiday inn express or travel inn provide these in room. the room and bathroom is no bigger than the aforementioned chains. and as was mentioned in another review the furnishing and fittings are not great quality. in fact La Perouse is unique I have never stayed in a hotel before where if the toilet seat and lid are in the up position they hang over the bath. In conclusion its a nice hotel but having read the reviews before I stayed I expected more of a wow factor. from my position on the 4th floor the view the guests had on the 2nd floor must be more of roof tiles than sea.

Superb and Stylish

by TripAdvisor Member Astronomer

La Perouse is superbly situated near Old Nice and most rooms have wonderful views of the sea - many of the entire Bay des Anges and Promenade des Anglais. We've now visited 6 times and intend many more visits. Staff are all totally professional and extremely helpful; the whole place has an atmosphere of comfort, service and restrained style. This is undoubtedly the most interesting corner of Nice and in easy walking distance of restaurants, beach, churches, opera, shops, flower and flea-markets, the harbour, everything. Underground parking is available nearby - the hotel will arrange this for you.

Best Location in Town

by TripAdvisor Member usagirl

Having just spent six nights in Nice and putting quite a bit of research into my hotel choice I am pleased to say that La Perouse provided us an excellent base. The location is quiet and unrivalled, the pool area tranquil, and the staff are friendly and helpful, especially those at reception. The rooms are not what one would immediately think of in this price range but we decided to find it quaint. What really lets the place down is the food service. Breakfast was inoffensive enough, though the coffee was stunningly poor, and our one dinner was very disappointing; other guests told us of similar experiences. After a long day trashing around in the heat it would have been nice to not be forced to go out for dinner but out we went. Also we felt strongly that there should be a "no children" policy as the size and accoustics of the hotel make it a more grown up venue.

Breathtaking location

This hotel is perched above the Quai de Etats, on the hill of the old chateau. Following the advise of another post on Trip Advisor, I requested either room 504 or 501. I received 501, which has a large, very private deck. Views of the sea and the coastline. Excellent decor, ammenities and furnishings. The shared Pool, sauna, and hot tub are excellent. Fitness center is small, but with walking Nice, who needs it.

The staff was helpful and friendly. All spoke English. Breakfast and room service were excellent.

The hotel is a short walk from the flower market in Nice, which has numerous resturants.

This is an expensive hotel, but comparable to a Four Seasons or Ritz in any major US city. Stay here for a special occasion

Excellent!!

by TripAdvisor Member Moms-Trip

This hotel was truly a breath of fresh air. We arrived off a cruise at 8:00 am on a Sunday morning. Our ship had come in late Saturday evening due to weather, and knowing that there were others from the ship staying there as well, we walked over from the ship, a 5 minute walk, when we arrrived in port to introduce ourselves and see if an early check in was available. Kristen was on the front desk and told us she would see what she could do. When we arrived via taxi on the Sunday morning, she indicated that she had upgraded our rooms to the 3rd. floor, with an ocean view, and that they were available immediately. What a treat! The hotel itself was lovely, the location fabulous, staff excellent, our room had a beautiful bathroom and a balcony with a patio table and 2 chairs, the other room was on the 2 nd. floor and had a huge terrace with 2 loungers plus the patio table and chairs. We had a bottle of wine in the lounge later that evening before we went out for dinner and that was nice as well. It is truly amazing that the traffic noise of the street below is not heard even on the balconies.I had emailed this hotel for a price and ended up booking on hotel at a rate of 80E/night cheaper per room than the rate the hotel offered me directly. Excellent property! Would definitly stay there again!

Best views in Nice

The view of the city and beachfront is spectacular. The breakfast is great in the garden courtyard and the hotel is a one of a kind find. Try to get a room with a balcony, if not just go to the top floor pool and enjoy the sunset. Do not miss the flower market a few blocks away in Old Nice.

Breathtaking Views

After having read the other reviews and now having stayed here myself, I have to say I was more than satisfied with my stay.

ROOM
Although the room we had (4th Floor Sea View + Balcony) was small and the furnishing a little out dated it was more than comfortable. The view from the balcony was spectacular, probably the best views in Nice!

FACILITIES
The hotel facilities were good - a decent enough pool, outdoor Jacuzzi and a small gym. Unfortunately, the restaurant let the place down. The menu was on the small side and the breakfasts were average. However, the garden was lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful, giving us good advice on restaurants in the evenings and tourist tips during the day.

OVERALL
From my experience it is a decent 4 star hotel and although I have stayed in better none rival the views I had here (not in Europe anyway). In fact, I would recommend the hotel on the breathtaking view and tranquility alone! However, I would not consider staying here unless I had a decent enough rate (which I luckily did) with a sea view on the 4th floor or higher. The hotel is expensive and we found that the Hotel Suisse next door was a lot cheaper with similar views.

A great find

A lovely smallish hotel with stunning sea views. Located right by the old town sector of Nice this hotel is well placed - stunning views acroos the sea and old town, a short stroll to numerous restaurants and bars without having to fuss with buses or taxis, right by the beach.....excellent for anyone who wants to be near to the action without sacrificing vews, quiet or service.
Rooms are nice enough but our room was made amazing by the beatiful sunny balcony overlooking the pristine swimming pool and the sea.
Staff are polite and for those who need it, speak excellent English.

Highlight of the trip was eating breakfast under the lemon trees in the courtyard on one of those beautiful early summer mornings - perfect!

Roof Top Bars

by NeilGilbert

Hello: Are there any roof top bars with great views of Nice and the sea?
Thanks,
Neil

Re: Roof Top Bars

by domenicococozza

Hi Neil,
There are several. We have used the rooftop bar at Hotel La Perouse, which is located on the seafront at Promenade des Anglais.
Great views across the Med.

Re: Roof Top Bars

by Beausoleil

Don't know if you are interested but there is a terrific rooftop garden on top of the Museum of Modern Art. The views from there are fantastic . . . without drinks, of course. LOL

Travel in August

by flystream6

I've heard and read that mid August can be a very bad time to visit for so many reasons. Unfortunately, I'm in Paris for business at that time and have this one chance to visit. I'm looking to stay at Hotel La Perouse. Is it crazy even to consider staying for a week in Nice in mid-August?

by Beausoleil

No, not crazy. Just realize it will be crowded. There are advantages, i.e. there is a lot happening because there are a lot of people to be entertained.

If you go for a week, you will probably want to take some day trips in the area. It is beautiful so you should if you can. The traffic is horrible so take the trains where you can. It's much nicer that way . . . and a lot faster too.

Keep in mind that the beach in Nice is pebbles, not sand, so don't be disappointed. If you want sand, take the train to Antibes or Juan les Pins. They have nice sand beaches.

All the galleries will be open; the market will have great fresh produce; night life will be in full swing and everyone will be on vacation. As long as you know it will be very busy, you should have a great time. Go, and have fun.

by travelgourmet

Ditto!

RE: RE: Travel in August

by NiceLife

Hotel La Perouse? Brilliant view of the bay - pole position - don't give that up. Humidity and night temperature means air conditioning would be nice! That aside its got a lot of atmosphere because its busy.

Cheers

by flystream6

What wonderful and helpful comments. Thanks so much. I was going to ask next about Hotel Perouse, but someone already graciously beat me to it by providing some positive thoughts! Based on this and other feedback, I'm booking the trip. I"ll be carefully looking through your various Nice pages and may come back with some more questions. Thanks.

Nice Accomodation

by Sanjo69

Hi,
After reading through the forums (especially NiceLife memebr), I was determined to stay at Hotel Suisse. Unfortunately, this is booked at the time we are planning to be there. Could someone please suggest a place close to this hotel or one with a view, thats not to far from the station or nightlife!!

Thanks in advance.

RE: Nice Accomodation

by NiceLife

Hotel La Perouse appears to be sandwiched next door to the Suisse but a different management - you might be lucky following up that.

No more than a hundred yards you have the Mercure/ Accor "Marche aux Fleurs", which is a brilliant location, if they have any rooms unbooked.

If money is not a major issue, the "Beau Rivage" along the front here offers incredible style at a close location ( but serious money)

Stepping down a tad, the Mercure/Accor "Promenade des Anglais" puts you affordably in the centre of the action (Rue Halevy)Failing that, the 5 Mercure locations are very good - especially the Grimaldi.

Its August now and everything is busy busy.

Consider some of the slightly less central hotels, if you need to check out something email me direct - I've no axe to grind.

Good luck.
Andrew

RE: RE: Nice Accomodation

by Sanjo69

Thanks NiceLife, I really appreciate your comments. Hopefully one of these hotels will be free!

Comments