Hotel Regence

Great Value!

Costs Equal to similar hotels but Rated Higher

See Hotels with Higher Star Rating
ADC23's Profile Photo

Terrible experience & they stole money

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 24, 2015

I am a 36 yr old woman and I recently visited Nice for 15 days alone, and I stayed in 8 different hotels ranging from 2-5 star in order to change my location and experience different areas of town. I booked at Hotel Regence due to the location which was the ONLY upside to this hotel with it being in the middle of food and shops. With that being said thought it is a whip getting there, because taxis can't come down the street so you are dropped a couple of blocks away and must lug your bags down the street. Not ideal at all for a taxi pickup either trying to know where to go. Upon check in there was no one to help me with my luggage. The first night I was in a double room with a "city view" which consisted of looking out to the buildings across from me. I couldn't see any part of the city or even the street below. The room was extremely small with no coffee, iron, safe, etc. The shower was super cramped, and it would not have fit a larger person. There was no place to store your belongings in the bathroom, and the towels were very thin and cheap. I asked for ice with the front desk, and she brought me a coffee cup of ice. The WIFI was also exceptionally slow. The next night they only had a suite available (I believe they only have 1) so I upgraded to that because it was much bigger with 2 bathrooms and much more storage space. STILL no safe or fridge even in a suite. odd. There was no way to call the front desk except they could call you. I went to the front to ask for an iron, and I was told they only had 1 in the entire hotel and someone else had it and was not answering their door and someone else was waiting as well. Needless to say I never got it. One iron in the entire hotel?? It is vacay, ok I can do without an iron. It was quite noisy as well during the night. The next morning I receive a very rude call from the front desk informing me it is checkout time, and I proceeded to inform him that I was staying another night he needed to check again. Due to the fact there was no safe in the room and this was not the fanciest hotel I hid my cash ($2k, yes I took cash with me with the intention to transfer to euros to pay instead of accumulating fees on my cc for foreign transactions) under the mattress because I was going out that day to sight see and have dinner. The next morning I already knew that suite was booked, so I went to the front desk to inquire about possibly another room but there was only one reception person and several people waiting. I was packing my belongings waiting a bit to go back, and I received yet another very rude call informing me of it being past checkout (by 15 mins mind you) telling me my room was booked and I had to go. I told him I was very aware what time checkout was and I went to the front and they were busy. He cut me off talking over me repeating himself. I told him I was talking to quit being rude to me that I was trying to see if they had another room. (the ONLY reason I even considered staying another night was due to the headache of transferring hotels from the street location of this one) He told me they were fully booked, however I had JUST looked on hotels.com to see a room available. I informed him of this, and he hung up on me. Yes, that is right. I was livid. I hurriedly packed the remaining luggage of mine only to get yet another call this time from the owner of the hotel who might I add was extremely rude as well stating who he was asking if I wanted to stay another night. Let me remind you I was just told they were fully booked and hung up on by his staff member. I explained this to him, and told him I intended on staying until I was treated terribly, and he only said "ok." I rushed out of my room to the front to check out, and I asked the guy "were you the one on the phone that was so rude to me and had the audacity to hang up on me?" He ignored me and gave me my bill which was over $600. This angered me even more I am spending this much money, and he still needs my payment yet treats me this poorly. I gave him my card through tears, and I said, "It is nice to know how you treat customers who spend over $600 with your company." I left very upset and shook up. I changed hotels to a MUCH more professional place, but it was not until the next day I realized I left my pouch with my money in the room due to being rushed out. I called, and I even had someone who spoke French call only to be told nothing was turned in. My friend even asked could they just go and look exactly where they were telling them to see if it was still there. Once again we were told nothing was turned in. I was at fault for being irresponsible enough to forget it, So the hotel staff made another $2k off of me after the worst hotel experience I have had. Trust me do not waste your money. There are SO many nice places to stay for equal money yet much friendlier staff and better amenities. My favorite for the money was Le Meurice just around the corner that even has an airport shuttle. Oh and a safe, in room coffee, iron, soft towels, ice, you know the normal stuff. Le Meridien, the Hyatt, and the Goldstar resort were more expensive but well worth the $ a couple of nights.

Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

A reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Nice

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 24, 2014

Hotel Regence is that rarest of rare breeds in Nice - a reasonably priced accommodation option that's clean, comfortable and within walking distance of all the main attractions. This hotel was consistently well reviewed on TA and the hotel booking sites and unlike so many of it's more expensive counterparts, there were no complaints about bad plumbing or surly staff. It's a medium-sized hotel in one of the tall, narrow buildings typical of Rue Massena and all it's bedrooms and bathrooms have been recently refurbished. Our room was on the ground floor, overlooking a small courtyard and as I had requested a no-stairs option, was perfectly suited to my needs. There was no street noise, our bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean.

Wifi is not free but at €1 per session, reasonably priced.
We found the staff at Hotel Regence, extremely helpful, courteous and pleasant.

Unique Quality: At Hotel Regence a complementary continental breakfast was included in our room rate. In Nice, where it's quite common to be charged an exorbitant amount for a cup of coffee and croissant, this is a very strong selling point. Fresh rolls, croissants and pan au chocolat are served with juice and coffee. Coffee/tea/hot chocolate are self service and you can have as many refills as you wish - a tasty and quite substantial breakfast.

To sum up, this is a bright pleasant hotel with comfortable, reasonably priced accommodation just five minutes walk from Place de Massena. In terms of accommodation prices in Nice, it represents substantial value for money.

Directions: On Rue Massena, right in the centre of the pedestrianised zone off Place Massena.

goal Aug 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM

WARNING: DO YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL. We book it in feburari 2013 paid it in full, the travel agent did not paid the hotel they said. And this hotel did not want to for us anything. We could pay again but now about 20% more for the same home that we already paid! Any discount was not possible because the hotel said. We will get a full hotel anyway! THIS IS NO SERVICE AND VERY UNFAIR!

Nearby Hotel Regence

Hotel Regence

• Hotel Regence Nice

Address: 21 rue Massena, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06000, France

2 Photos of Hotel Regence

View Professional Photos

Nice Travel Forum

Need advice about Nice, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Nice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Nice hotel reviews

Pétanque
Saf Saf
So many colours
Things to Do
Sunday brunch? This is the place!
Japanese tapas bar
Restaurants
Southwest cuisine with a local touch
Russian Cathedral
The harbour of old Nice
Excellent French Gourmet food
Nice Opera is hot
Warnings and Dangers
Great service and excellent food but pricey
Their specialty: braised meats
Restaurants
Un-romantic place but serves good salad
Warning for Solo Female travellers
Warnings and Dangers
Vélo Bleu (self-service bicycle rental)
Transportation
Heritage Days
Local Customs
SOS Train des Merveilles!!!
Train des Merveilles