11 rue Dalpozzo, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06000, France

ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Boutiquish Without Priceyness

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 10, 2005

This hotel does have its critics, but I am not one of them. I found it to be a lovely 3 star place in my price range. It was very clean and I liked the way it was decorated. The location was close enough to both the beach and the pedestrian zone, but far enough away so as not to be noisy.

I was given a choice between two rooms. The convenience of having the sink right in the room and the toilet and shower in the bathroom would have appealed had I had a traveling companion. Since I was alone, I chose the more colorful room with the sink in the bathroom.

The hotel restaurant was small, but attractive, however I found the breakfast to be a bit pricey. I only ate there once.

The Windsor can be booked through Venere.com.

Unique Quality: The decor in the rooms that I looked at was very unusual for an average priced hotel. It gave the feeling of a boutique hotel without the priceyness.

The rooms that did not overlook the street had a pretty view of the garden.

I found the staff to be very friendly, polite, and accomodating

Directions: Promenade des Anglaise

Take Bus 98 from the Nice Airport and get off at Meyerbeach stop. The hotel is just a few blocks up from there. It seems like a safe walk for a woman alone until around 10 or 11 p.m. After that, I don't know .

amapola66's Profile Photo

Fabulously Relaxed, Intimate and Totally Charming

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 21, 2005

A hotel of charm, wonderfully eccentric & arty, in the center of Nice. KB and I spent 4 nights & 5 days there last September, for some much needed rest and recouperation & it was perfect for what we needed.( i.e. - Centrally located, non-corporate, relaxed, and charming).

We opted for a non-artist room. Half of the rooms here boast their own unique décor, provided by well-known contemporary artists such as Ben (famous for his "message" paintings) Miguel Chevalier and Peter Fend - with a balcony & bathroom, and it was just fine.

The hotel is immaculately clean, full of beautiful objects d'art. (Décor in the reception area brings a touch of the Orient with a bed encrusted with mother-of-pearl and a gilt shrine with a seated Buddha) & (amazingly for a city center hotel) a wonderful garden with a small pool in which to cool off if necessary. The lift is rather amusing for small people, being in the style of a rocket ship, that has a 'countdown to lift off'.

We ate breakfast every morning in the garden, shaded by lemon, magnolia, & palm trees. The buffet breakfast was excellent. Simple, but quality. Fresh juices, breads, home made jams, yogurts & fruit salads, honey and strong French coffee. You can order off the menu if you fancy perfectly scrambled eggs (the best I ever had) or a plate of cheese (enough for two). One morning a table in a quiet corner of the garden was being laid with champagne and flowers, for an unsuspecting lucky lady...and the staff looked like they were just as excited as the gentleman who arranged it.

The hotel has a bar, basic gym and meditation room, and suana, the staff highly efficient in a relaxed way & never intrusive.

Fab!

Unique Quality: Staff were brilliant, breakfast was great, never needed (or wanted) to eat breakfast out.
On returning to our room each morning, it had been miraculously cleaned and we were never bothered by the maid to see when we were going out (can't stand that!) - She must have taken notice when we left.

Internet is available near the hotel lobby, but why anyone would need it when in Nice, beats me ; )

We spent time on the private beach, lolling on comfy sunbeds under umbrellas, with big fluffy towels, being served cocktails and salad niciose and pretending we could live like that forever...Wealso explored the old town with it's red roofs, quaint streets, cafes, art galleries and charming shops.

Can't really explain why I like this hotel so much - Maybe it was our breakfast waiter gently humming 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' he he or telling us the best thing to do, was to go swimming in the sea, drunk, at midnight & just float, as the water is warmer compared to your body temperature...or maybe It's best to let Monsieur Redolfi-Strizzot explain why :

“An artist is related to an inherent reality. That’s what attracts me. In the hotel business, we’ve reached a limit where material competition is concerned. We can always add an iron, a hair dryer, of course; but it is best to enrich the human fabric.

Le Joie de Vivre? They know how to live it in Nice - and we shall return ; )

Directions: ½ ml W of Place Massena, on corner of respectable residential terrace. Local shops, bars and restaurants 75 yds. Beach 500 yds. Bus stop 50 yds.

Shelleya's Profile Photo

by written on August 26, 2002

about 500 French francs for a standard double on a weeknight. Some rooms are a little more costly.

Unique Quality: Very reasonably priced for Nice, reservations ahead of time are helpful. Each room is decorated by a different artist and is unique.

Directions: Just about 7 blocks away from the Mediterranean Sea in Nice.

Nearby Hotel Windsor

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Nice Travel Forum

Need advice about Nice, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Nice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Nice hotel reviews

Local Music
Lou Mourelec
Pétanque
Local Customs
Southwest cuisine with a local touch
Russian Cathedral
The harbour of old Nice
Excellent French Gourmet food
Nice Opera is hot
Warnings and Dangers
Great service and excellent food but pricey
Their specialty: braised meats
Restaurants
Un-romantic place but serves good salad
Warning for Solo Female travellers
Heritage Days
Local Customs
SOS Train des Merveilles!!!
Permanent renovation
Nice accessibility
New Nice Fountains
(Ve)Nice Guitar
Drunk men at Promenade du Paillon
Old Nice Fountains
Toujours en grève
Local Customs
Listen to the Sound of Waves!
Things to Do
Be very careful at taxi to the old town area