11 rue Dalpozzo, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06000, France

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Boutiquish Without Priceyness

This hotel does have its critics, but I am not one of them. I found it to be a lovely 3 star place in my price range. It was very clean and I liked the way it was decorated. The location was close enough to both the beach and the pedestrian zone, but far enough away so as not to be noisy.

I was given a choice between two rooms. The convenience of having the sink right in the room and the toilet and shower in the bathroom would have appealed had I had a traveling companion. Since I was alone, I chose the more colorful room with the sink in the bathroom.

The hotel restaurant was small, but attractive, however I found the breakfast to be a bit pricey. I only ate there once.

The Windsor can be booked through Venere.com.

Unique Quality: The decor in the rooms that I looked at was very unusual for an average priced hotel. It gave the feeling of a boutique hotel without the priceyness.

The rooms that did not overlook the street had a pretty view of the garden.

I found the staff to be very friendly, polite, and accomodating

Directions: Promenade des Anglaise

Take Bus 98 from the Nice Airport and get off at Meyerbeach stop. The hotel is just a few blocks up from there. It seems like a safe walk for a woman alone until around 10 or 11 p.m. After that, I don't know .

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Fabulously Relaxed, Intimate and Totally Charming

A hotel of charm, wonderfully eccentric & arty, in the center of Nice. KB and I spent 4 nights & 5 days there last September, for some much needed rest and recouperation & it was perfect for what we needed.( i.e. - Centrally located, non-corporate, relaxed, and charming).

We opted for a non-artist room. Half of the rooms here boast their own unique décor, provided by well-known contemporary artists such as Ben (famous for his "message" paintings) Miguel Chevalier and Peter Fend - with a balcony & bathroom, and it was just fine.

The hotel is immaculately clean, full of beautiful objects d'art. (Décor in the reception area brings a touch of the Orient with a bed encrusted with mother-of-pearl and a gilt shrine with a seated Buddha) & (amazingly for a city center hotel) a wonderful garden with a small pool in which to cool off if necessary. The lift is rather amusing for small people, being in the style of a rocket ship, that has a 'countdown to lift off'.

We ate breakfast every morning in the garden, shaded by lemon, magnolia, & palm trees. The buffet breakfast was excellent. Simple, but quality. Fresh juices, breads, home made jams, yogurts & fruit salads, honey and strong French coffee. You can order off the menu if you fancy perfectly scrambled eggs (the best I ever had) or a plate of cheese (enough for two). One morning a table in a quiet corner of the garden was being laid with champagne and flowers, for an unsuspecting lucky lady...and the staff looked like they were just as excited as the gentleman who arranged it.

The hotel has a bar, basic gym and meditation room, and suana, the staff highly efficient in a relaxed way & never intrusive.

Fab!

Unique Quality: Staff were brilliant, breakfast was great, never needed (or wanted) to eat breakfast out.
    On returning to our room each morning, it had been miraculously cleaned and we were never bothered by the maid to see when we were going out (can't stand that!) - She must have taken notice when we left.

Internet is available near the hotel lobby, but why anyone would need it when in Nice, beats me ; )

We spent time on the private beach, lolling on comfy sunbeds under umbrellas, with big fluffy towels, being served cocktails and salad niciose and pretending we could live like that forever...Wealso explored the old town with it's red roofs, quaint streets, cafes, art galleries and charming shops.

Can't really explain why I like this hotel so much - Maybe it was our breakfast waiter gently humming 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' he he or telling us the best thing to do, was to go swimming in the sea, drunk, at midnight & just float, as the water is warmer compared to your body temperature...or maybe It's best to let Monsieur Redolfi-Strizzot explain why :

“An artist is related to an inherent reality. That’s what attracts me. In the hotel business, we’ve reached a limit where material competition is concerned. We can always add an iron, a hair dryer, of course; but it is best to enrich the human fabric.

Le Joie de Vivre? They know how to live it in Nice - and we shall return ; )

Directions: ½ ml W of Place Massena, on corner of respectable residential terrace. Local shops, bars and restaurants 75 yds. Beach 500 yds. Bus stop 50 yds.

• Shelleya's Profile Photo

Hotel Windsor

about 500 French francs for a standard double on a weeknight. Some rooms are a little more costly.

Unique Quality: Very reasonably priced for Nice, reservations ahead of time are helpful. Each room is decorated by a different artist and is unique.

Directions: Just about 7 blocks away from the Mediterranean Sea in Nice.

More about Hotel Windsor

Fab Hotel!

Stayed with my husband for 4 nights of rest and relaxation early Sept 04 and this hotel was everything we expected.

It is spotlessly clean, reception staff are multi-lingual (a Dutch and an Argentinian among them) -
Extremely efficient in a friendly and unobtrusive way, booking restaurant tables and generally helpful.

The breakfast was simple but the best quality ingredients, yogourts & cereals, fresh fruit salads, warm baked rolls and croissants. Fresh coffee or good quality English tea and fresh (real) fruit juices etc
You can pay (just a few euros )extra for some perfectly scrambled eggsor a very generous plate of cheese. All this was taken in the delightful garden ad the rear of the hotel. Waiting staff, amusing and efficient.
Returning to our room every morning, found it spotlessly clean and aired. (We didn't encounter any of those knocks on the door from maids wanting to come in.)

We booked a normal room, got offered a choice between two with balcony, both clean and pleasant, fresh soap daily...etc.

My husband made use of the meditation rooms and gym upstairs. I don't think I would use the pool in the garden though, it was full of leavesfrom the plants in the garden and mostly shaded.

The general vibe of this hotel is charming, very efficient, restful, yet unobtrusive and well situated.

We will go back again, Highly recommended.

(We also ate at Le Viviers - Highly recommended).

Please read this and stay elsewhere.

This hotel looks very nice from the outside, however the inside is a totally different story. We booked this hotel online from reading the reviews on this website (I honestly think the owners might be writing some of these themselves). I say this because I had a totally different experience when I visited and I don't believe I am the only one.
I was traveling on a semi-budget this past Aug when I went to France and decided to stay at Hotel Windsor. The moment I walked into the hotel the whole place made me feel creepy - it was musty and dark and it smelled awful. I am not a high roller, so please don't mistake this review for someone who was looking for glamourous accomodations. The only thing I deem necessary is cleanliness.
The elevator ride to the room is tacky - it gives the illusion you are blasting off into space. It is very irritating to listen to each and ever time you must take it. The hotel room key is is also tacky as it is huge and not convienient to carry around with you. But the worst thing about this hotel was the room was FILTHY!! Dirty beyond belief...there was hair EVERYWHERE on top of the conforter, inside the sheets, in the sink and tub in the washroom - we asked to have the sheets changed - they didn't believe us, one of the owners was visibly upset we made this type of request. The carpet in the room was dirty as it was soiled and stained - you could not possibly take your shoes off. The TV was full of grease because of other people's hand prints - this room had obviously not been cleaned. I would not trust eating at this hotel, because if that is the way they believe a "clean" room should look like, I would hate to see their kitchen and imagine what kind of bacteria they have lurking.
We had to stay the one night and the next day we checked out (we were initally booked for 5 nights). We found a nicer, cheaper hotel one block away from the beach.
Please visit Nice, we had a great time, but do not stay at Hotel Windsor - it was very, very dirty and unpleasant. Please reconsider your stay here.
Have a safe trip, happy travels!

charming and artistic

We just came back from a wonderful stay in the Windsor Hotel in Nice. The garden is beautiful, a little oases in the middle of the city. The rooms are all different. We had an artist room, designed by a French artist: it was all white, with just a yellow line over the walls, the ceiling and the floor, which was like a sunbeam coming in from the window. They also showed us some other rooms; artistic and romantic rooms. I also enjoyed a nice massage in the hotel. We'll be back next year!

Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city

We have just returned from a very pleasant four night stay in this hotel. The reception staff were most helpful, attending to our needs instantly. We were placed in the Peter Fend map room which entertained us somewhat. The rooms were in excellent condition, very clean and well maintained. The lift was a delightful surprise and would be fun if travelling with children. The continental buffet-style breakfast was very good and the service was excellent. The hotel is an ideal location for discovering the beauty of Nice as it is close to the Old Town and Promenade Des Anglais.
However, on the negative side, ladies you'll have to bring your own shower cap as this is not included and the bide was slightly out-dated. In addition, a tram network is currently being constructed in the city, as we discovered at 9.00am. Part of this construction is taking place along one side of the hotel (Rue Marechal Joffre) and did cause some disturbance, however work is halted during the weekend and during weekdays the noise isn't too intrusive.
Overall, we would recommend this hotel to all.

Woeful Windsor

I travelled to Nice over the long weekend 3-6 February 2005. I chose this hotel due to the good reviews it had on this site and in guide books and from the photographs on the internet. However, the place is a dump! It is not up to backpacker standards. Several of the rooms had a damp problem and smelled terrible. The rooms I had booked were nothing like those shown by the photographs on the hotel's website. I suspect that they have maybe half a dozen such rooms - the rest - and I saw plenty of them - were dreadful. The furniture and fittings were very tired and careworn. The carpets were dirty and threadbare. Everything in the rooms was old - at least 25 years - and it showed. The lack of cleanliness extended to the pool - the water looked like used bathwater and was full of leaves. The white plastic loungers were very dirty and the garden itself very untidy.

I complained to the management and when I did, they upgraded me - but even so the replacement room was still poor compared to those advertised.

I checked out the following day. The next hotel I went to, Le Grimaldi, was fine. When they asked which hotel I had come from, they weren't surprised that I had left the Windsor.

If you have booked - cancel it. If you haven't, book practically anywhere else.

wonderful, surprising, terrific and artistic place!!!

I just came back from a beautiful trip in the south of France and we stoped at The Windsor Hotel in Nice.

Such an astonishing, peaceful and creative place!!
The rooms are all different, designed by some international reknowed artists such as: Lauwrence Weiner, Claude Parmiggiani, Olivier Mosset...

We slept in an artist room, designed by a French artist: Olivier Mosset.
it was all white, with only a yellow line over the walls, the ceiling and the floor, which was like a sunbeam coming in from the window.
Such a poetic idea of the sun coming inside of the room...

We also enjoyed a nice massage in the hotel, the swimming pool, and the garden...
It's a charming place, that you can't find anywhere else.

We 'll be back
please have a look to this place, it's so wonderful!!!

Hotel Windsor, Nice

by marincounty

This is the view from the balcony at the Hotel Windsor in Nice. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a unique, off-the-beaten-path hotel. It's convenient, clean, and very reasonably priced.

Hotel Windsor, NiceHotel Windsor, Nice