16 rue Dalpozzo, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06000, France

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Rated 11% higher but also costs 28% more than other 3 star hotels

• MicheleyJuancho's Profile Photo

Cozy and Clean Hotel in Nice

My husband and I stayed for six nights in a double standard room on the ground floor. The room was small but clean and very confortable. We always got a good nights sleep even though our window faced the street, because it is not a busy street. We could hear voices from the lobby sometimes, but this didn't bother us. The bathroom had a tub and hairdryer. The location was great because we could walk to the beach, to the main bus station and to the train station easily. There is a drugstore across the street from the hotel, a store with fresh fruit two doors down and a bakery down the street, where they have wonderful croissants and even great sub-type sandwiches for picnics. We never had breakfast at the hotel. There is a street full of shops and restaurants very close by, where we had dinner most nights. There is WiFi available but one does need to purchase access, about 5 euro for 20 mins.

Unique Quality: Close to shops and restaurants.
    Wireless internet.
    Very clean.
    Confortable bed.
    Walking distance to train station, bus station and beach.
    Quiet street.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Beautiful, Little Building

Ten years ago, I stayed at this little hotel when it was owned by a lady from Lyon. Since then, it has been sold and completely redone. It has gone from a no star hotel to a 3 star place and the price has risen with each star. It is a beautiful little building, and the lobby is very colorful, but not charming enough for me. I did not see any of the rooms. Based on a quick look in the lobby, I would consider staying here, if nothing was available at the Windsor. It is just across the street.

Directions: Promenade des Anglaise

More about Hotel les Cigales

Pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member D76

We spent 2 nights at the Hotel les Cigales in early September. Very pleasant and convenient hotel, good value for Nice standards. Superior room spacious and clean, good bathroom. Close to the "promenade".

Superb Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BristolKen

We have just spent 6 nights at this hotel. This is the cleanest hotel we have stayed in anywhere in the world. Our room was a superior room with air conditioning, mini bar, a good sized bathroom with bath and shower. The service from the desk was exemplary throughout the stay. A great location close to the shops, the beach and restuarants, Old town is about 10 minutes walk away and the port 25 mins - the bus is amazingly cheap 1.30 euro to go any where in the region! There are some negative comments about the breakfast room in other reviews we disgaree, the comments regarding adjacent room noise are somewhat true but we did not fiind the noise to be obtrusive. Not the cheapest place to stay in the city but certainally one of the best.

Loved Les Cigales

My husband and I stayed at Les Cigales last year for our honeymoon... It was our first stop of our European honeymoon and we absolutely love it! The hotel is immaculate - very very clean. It is light and fresh, and not dingy in the least. The location is fabulous, you can walk pretty much everywhere you want. We did not get the bed and breakfast package, but there's a bakery a few doors down with fresh croissants! The staff was very helpful. We would definately return!!!

Great location in Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Pickin'

New hotel in a very convenient location in Nice. It's an easy downhill walk from the train station to the hotel, and once there, you are only 2-3 blocks from the promenade and a great pedestrian mall with numerous cafes.

The staff is helpful and the rooms are clean, however, the showers are very small enclosures. Overall, it is a good central point to explore Nice, at a very reasonable cost. No charm or romance, but nice.

Charming hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cholmeen

A group of 18 from the U.S. stayed at Les Cigales for eight nights this past June while attending a wedding. We found the hotel the perfect location to the beach, train and shops plus it was very quiet. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our group also enjoyd the lovely terrace on the roof for get-togethers. The staff was wonderful! They were very helpful. We would definately stay at this hotel again.

Beware of credit card currency conversion problem

by TripAdvisor Member rentaquote

This would have been an overwhelmingly positive review, but for something that happened at the very end of an otherwise enjoyable five-night stay. More of this later...

The hotel is in a quiet well to do side street, the Rue Dalpozzo. It's a fairly convenient location, 10-15 minutes walk from Nice Ville Station and 3-5 minutes from the Promenade des Anglais. From the airport by public transport your best bet is the 15 minute ride on bus 98 to the Rue Meyerbeer stop and then walk north three blocks. There are many other buses running one block north and one block south of the hotel, although the stops are not ideally placed.

From the outside Les Cigales looks traditional, elegant and well maintained. Inside it's been tastefully modernised. The reception staff were very pleasant and keen to give us a full briefing in English and French on local attractions and amenities.

Our room - number nine - at the rear of the building was quiet, well airconditioned and spotlessly clean, with a good firm king size bed. This is a standard room for which we paid 115 Euros a night. It was just big enough to move around comfortably. (The superior rooms are considerably larger.) There's a TV with around 15 channels including CNN and Eurosport, plus a minibar and a wardrobe containing a free-to-use safe. Our only complaint was the lack of coathangers in the wardrobe. Three hangers weren't enough. The bathroom was clean and everything worked, although the water pressure in the mixer shower was erratic.

Breakfast is served in the basement - a clean, bright room. There was nothing seriously wrong with the breakfast but it didn't seem worth the cost of 10 Euros, and after one day we easily found better alternatives nearby. We'd recommend the Co T Café on Rue Meyerbeer which does an express breakfast for 6 Euros. There's also an excellent bakery/patisserie on the corner of Rue Dalpozzo (the almond croissants are to die for). Combined with good takeaway coffees from Co T, we enjoyed a takeaway bakery blow-out on the beach for half the cost of the hotel breakfast.

There are several restaurants within a couple of minutes walk, but the widest choice is to be found in the Cours Saleya and Vieux Nice - a 20 minute walk away. Or a short bus ride east and then 10 minutes walk. All in all, a pleasant stay - apart from a problem on checkout.

Checking out of our room we were presented with our bill, correctly calculated in Euros. I handed over my credit card and entered my pin number, only to be handed a credit card slip showing that the transaction had gone ahead not in Euros but in pounds sterling... converted at a lousy exchange rate. We had become victims of "dynamic currency conversion" - a ruse cooked up by credit card merchants to profit at the expense of visitors from outside the Euro zone.

I complained about this to Visa Europe and the hotel. The hotel director said he would investigate and now - to his credit - informs me he will no longer use the "Fintrax" terminal, which converts transactions into foreign currency. However, if you are visiting from outside the Euro zone, I'd still advise you to insist on paying your credit card bill in Euros and ask that the transaction is not converted into your home currency.

A fine place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member SanDiegoSteve

Stayed here based on prior ratings at this site, it lived up to those ratings. On vacation with two teen-age daughters.

Good location, short walk from train station and short walk to beach and restaurants. Room very clean, good bathroom. Very good air conditioning. Breakfast very good.

Staff was helpful and friendly, especially the evening/night receptionist. Recommended places to visit and restaurants to eat at, restaurants were very good. One recommendation was La Maison de Marie, one of best restaurants we enjoyed over the whole vacation.

Fully recommend this hotel.

Fantastic hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Rokh

We (family of 5) stayed at this hotel -just recently- for 4 nights. It was a great experience!
The hotel in general, and the rooms in particular, are absolutely clean and fresh. Excellent condition: air-conditioned, bright, roomy, comfy...you name it! The staff are very very friendly and corteous. The reception gentleman (Italian, if I'm not wrong) was most helpful: upon arrival, I thought we had left our passport back in Genoa...panicked! The gentleman immediately called the hotel in Genoa (Best Western, a good hotel -see my note on it if you like!) and helped me tremendously (BTW, it turned out I had them on me...silly!).
The location is absolutely ideal: two blocks from the beach, yet in a rather residential area surrounded by restaurants, French coffee shops...even a "coin laundry"!
The price can't be beaten for such a gem in high-season Nice: I think we paid about 100 Euros per night for a spacious family room (extra bed provided).
I'll post some photos as well. Unfortunately, my camera broke upon arriving in Nice :-( ..so, the quality is not the best.
Bottomline: highly highly highly recommended.
One last word: on this recent trip of ours to Europe (8 countries, 12 hotels over one month) I based my choice of hotels on Trip Advisor reviews. I can tell you it's well worth it. In short, this experience proved the validity of Trip Advisor as a reliable source of info for choosing hotels prior to setting out and actually seeing the premise.

3 Hotel Choices????

by stanrubin

We will be spending 5 nights in Nice at the end of September..
Thus far we have thought about The Suisse Hotel, Les Cigales
and Le Grimaldi...Location and clean facilities are the priorities!!
Any thoughts???

Thanks!!

Elaine & Stan

RE: 3 Hotel Choices????

by ellielou

I stayed at Le Grimaldi about 4 years ago. I would stay definitely stay again. Great rooms, good location, sort of a boutique hotel. Sorry, though, I can't compare it to the other two. have you looked at tripadvisor.com for these places, btw?

RE: 3 Hotel Choices????

by NiceLife

As between Cigaes and Grimaldi, probably the latter. However Suisse has the eye-popping location on the Baie des Anges.If a sea view matters to you, you cant do better

Cheers

RE: RE: 3 Hotel Choices????

by tinushi

I stayed at Suisse Hotel and i liked it very much espec. the view. Service was great too.

Comments