Palais de la Mediterranee

13 - 15 Promenade des Anglais, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06000, France

Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Magvictoria's Profile Photo

Luxury and view

I liked this stay in general. The hotel is just something special due to its desing and architecture. But the servise is not 'DeLuxe'. I would recommend this hotel for some special occasions as honeymoon, anniversaries and so on ..... or if you get a nice deal when booking.
    We had a superior sea view room with a wonderful view, but it was rather small for the price I payed.

They charge 30 Eu a day for garage ( but there is a public underground parking just round the corner).

Unique Quality: The building itself is a masterpiece! The interior is rather elegant and nice.

• NiceLife's Profile Photo

Alternative to the Negresco - the other "top stop"

280 to 780 euro a night for a room here - outside my class, but if money were no object you would find it hard to do better in Nice than the beautifully restored 1920s gem.

Unique Quality: Crowning glory of the Promenade des Anglais is the wonderful art deco facade of the Palais de la Mediterranee, the landmark Negresco's only rival. For all the Negresco's style and opulence the Palais has a secret weapon: its got a quadrant shaped pool hidden away behind the open facade, so you can still enjoy the Baie des Anges without having to brave Nice's stony beaches.

If you're feeling lucky, or just wondering how you going to manage to pay the extraordinarily large bill you have run up, there is also a casino.

Directions: The Prom

More about Palais de la Mediterranee

A romantic five star hotel

by hopang about Palais de la Mediterranee, Nice

Hotel Palais de la Mediterranee is located at the popular seafront along the Promenade in the heart of the city of Nice. It is a romantic five star hotel with approximately 190 well-furnished rooms spread over six floors. It also has a casino at the ground floor.

Among the sophisticated hotel facilities and amenities are a business center with secretarial services, meeting and conference rooms with high speed internet access, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, health center with gym and sauna, fully air-conditioned rooms, restaurant, bar and lounge, parking facilities, foreign currency exchange, multi-lingual staff, shopping arcades, elevator and airport transfers. Located less than four kilometers from the international airport and along the popular Promenade de Anglais with good views of the waterfront and the beach. The promenade is also suitable for strolling, jogging and cycling. On top of that hotel services are impeccable.

Le Palais de la Mediterranee

by NiceLife

Occupying a prime position on the front of the Promenade des Anglais, with its huge art deco facade, Le Palais de la Mediterranee, opened its doors in 1929. Designed by the Nice architect Charles Dalmas, whose other commissions included the luxurious Hotel Carlton in Cannes , the sumptuous decor of its lounges and Casino attracted a clientele of rich men and elegant women. A rival to the much photographed belle epoche Negresco built in 1912.

The Palais closed in 1978, and after some years of dereliction, it has been completely restored to its former glory and reopened in January 2004. The facade holds within a luxury hotel and residences. Its imposing presence puts to shame the ugly fifties and sixties apartment blocks around it.

Always worth an evening stroll to see any status-symbol luxury cars parked on the forecourt, signalling that someone famous is dining or gambling or just stopping overnight.
Star the other evening was a black Hummer, with British number plates and a lot of nose-prints on the front windscreen.

The hotel is gorgeous but service is not 5*

by TripAdvisor Member magvictoria

I booked this hotel for 2 reasons - it was my birthday and I wanted to stay in a special and charming hotel; secondly - it was the first trip to Cote d Azur for my husband. Our deluxe sea view on the top floor was small. The bathroom was tiny. I was very disappointed after I saw almost empty bottles of shower gel and shampoo put on the shelf in the bathroom !!! (1 bottle of each!!) and not replaced by new. It cannot be so in a Leading Hotel of the World!!!
It's terrible that after 2 p.m it's impossible to eat in the hotel. They even don't serve simple snacks in the bar. As for breakfast - one morning we were waiting for our coffee about 20 minutes. Upon using the shower I was annoyed to discover that it was impossible to achieve a consistent temperature - boiling or cold.Concierge was very helpful and smart, he made a reservation for my birthday dinner in a great restaurant (it was rather difficult because of Sunday) La Indiana.
We used their valet parking service, cost 30 euro p day. But there is a huge 800 places underground parking just under the hotel.
The hotel is really nice and modern but there are minor points, and the price is not fair.
BUT! I liked those 3 days in Nice. No regrets. Palais de la Mediterranee is still a nice experience. Let them several years to improve the service.(sorry for spelling mistakes)

Be careful with the bills

I've just come back from a 3-night break in Nice. I stayed au Palais de la Mediterranee. I had read TripAdvisor reviews first and I think I made a good choice. I booked via The Leading Hotels of the World website that I definitely recommend for their best rates. Excellent breakfast (probably improved a lot since the last relevant review was written), ideal location. Very polite staff. Room service twice a day. Be prepared for extras though. The private beach costs 16 euros per day per person (that was never mentioned before though). There kept appearing on my bills things that I never ordered with my meal or I never used from the mini bar (everyone knows that money spent on minibars is wasted anyway). They apologized to me in the end, although I never made a fuss about it; I wouldn't spoil my holiday for 10-15 euros. The restaurant is very good, everything tastes divine, but it's rather expensive; try to go and have a nice meal anywhere in the Old Town, it won't cost you more than 15-20 euros. The view from my room was superb although I was only on the third floor. I do agree with the traveller who said that there is no sea view from the swimming pool and there are some design faults.
In general I was quite happy there. The major point is that you have to be prepared that everything is overpriced in Nice, especially in the middle of the summer, because that's when sunshine is guaranteed. I believe that Nice is not what it used to be, and certainly not worth all this money any more. That's why it's so difficult to find a good hotel review. Very few people are satisfied. All those hotels with the imposing exterior have got a rather poor interior. The Palais de la Mediterranee is certainly an exception and I recommend it. But if you are a 14-night-all-inclusive person, don't go.

A few more tips:
Taxi from airport to the hotel costs 28-30 euros.
Take the mini touristic train to the Castle hill;you won't manage to climb up there in the usual temperatures of 32 degrees.
The bus tours are good, in and outside Nice.
Don't waste a minute in the new town;Overcrowded and dirty.
The Old Town is interesting although seriously abandoned, no restoration has ever been made to those lovely buildings. Palais de Lascaris is worth a visit. There is an air of diffuse decadence everywhere. Matisse Museum has no place to buy some water, and is almost impossible to visit in this heatwave (no airconditioning, of course). Marc Chagall Museum is a lot better. The suburb of Cimiez is nice in general. The Tourist Office is good, although the staff's english is very poor.

High Cost, Average Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DJGIT

I stayed at the Palais for seven nights from the 27th June 2005 to the 4th July 2005 for my Honeymoon.
Before I start to write my review I must first let you know that I am fairly well travelled and have been fortunate enough to stay in some very fine hotels including the Shangri La in Sydney, The Ritz Carlton in Sharm El Sheik and the Hotel-Du-Vin in Henley among others.
My first impression of the hotel was one of awe, the art deco facade is most impressive towering over the Promonade Des Anglais and looking out to the most beautiful blue sea. We were initially greeted by no less than four porters who swiftly took our luggage and welcomed us to the hotel. The reception was gleeming and the decor was equally impressive, modern and tasteful with contrasting colours of which orange was the most dominant. The reception staff and concierge where impecabley dressed and equally corteous. When we arrived at our room I was please to see that we had a sea view, as I had requested, however I was a little dissapointed at the size of the room. The room was very clean, very quiet consdering the location and the bed was very big and comfortable. The mini bar was well stocked however at 12 Euros for a bottle of beer and 5 Euros for a soft drink, all automtically charged to your account on manipulation, I couldn't imagine that I would make much use of it.
The seperate bathroom and WC were again spotless, however the bath and shower were fairly basic for a hotel of this class. Upon using the shower I was annoyed to discover that it was impossible to achieve a consistent temperature and found that you would get short spurts of luke warm water, followed by boiling hot water follwed by freezing cold etc. Leaving one hopping in and out of the shower cursing and screeming accordingly.
We had breakfast delivered to our room, which was ample and very enjoyable..but at 60 euros one would expect a fairly good spread.
We decided to have a relaxing day by the pool on our first day, unfortunatley however there was some sort of conference going on and the pool area and bar were full of executives and other folk, mobile phones and laptops in hand, going about their business...not exactly ideal for a couple of honeymooners paying somewhere in the region of £275 a night, therefore we decided to make use of the hotels private beech, as mentioned in the hotel brochure. You can imagine my frustration when I discovered courtesy of the concierge that there is an addition 16 Euros per person fee for the use of the "Private Beech" which is open to anyone who is willing to part with 25 Euros...harldy private! More "Pricey" !
So...60 Euros for breakfast, 32 Euros for the beech and you can see where we are going...
Nice is a fantastic place, the weather was termendous and the food and culture most enjoyable, however if you are thinking of of going to the Palais de la Mediterranee, I suggest that you make sure you have plenty of spare cash at your disposal as it is very expensive. I wouldn't recommened this hotel if you are someone who likes to soend your holidays lougnign in your room, enjoying room service, mini bar and in room entertainment as it may cosy you a small fortune.
Good location, clean and comfortable but way over priced in my opinion.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Kaimanas_Mom

Stayed at the Palais from July 5 - July 9. The Palais was undoubtedly beautiful. The hotel's location was extremely ideal. On the drive in from the airport, we were worried because it seems as though the hotel is actually located at the end of everything. We were pleasently wrong. We were just one block from the Pedestrian Zone, a wonderful area full of shops, restaurants and general atmosphere. Upon check-in, we were greated by a very helpful woman who graciously accompanied us to our room and walked us through the amenities of our room. The only thing, our ocean view was slightly obstructed due to the facade. Room was a nice size and very clean. I had a love-hate affair with the bathroom. I loved the huge bathtub, but hated the miniscule shower. The separate WC is a nice touch. The buffet breakfast was average. There were a few hot dishes (eggs, breakfast meat), a variety of breads and pastries, and of course, some cold selections (fruit, yogurt, meats & cheeses). The only problem we had was that the food was not replenished very often. In fact, we finally gave up and left after about 30 minutes of waiting for an empty water bottle to be replaced!

We did do some research before leaving for Nice and was aware of the charge to use the private beach. Palais apparently contracts with Blue Beach, which is just a 5 minute walk down the boardwalk. The minute I saw the beach, though, I did not mind at all. I'm surprised that NO ONE has mentioned the fact that the beaches in Nice were ROCKY. It wasn't just pebbles, as I heard some people refer to it as, they were large rocks. The beaches, public and private, is all rock, no sand. I saw some people with water shoes, socks, whatever those things are. DO NOT GO TO NICE WITHOUT THESE IF YOU WANT TO GO IN THE WATER! That's why I didn't mind paying the $$$ for the private beach. They provide you with a chaise lounge, towel, umbrella, and burlap walkways so you do not have to deal with the rocks too much. In addition, the private beaches serve food and drink right to your chaise. Can't beat that!

My only complaint about the Palais itself was the Concierge. There were two gentlemen there manning the desk, if you were lucky. Coverage seemed spotty at best. I had read about the beautiful lavendar fields that Nice seems to be known for and when my husband asked about the "flower fields" (what do you expect for a man?!), the concierge told him there was no such thing. The concierge just didn't seem to be very helpful. We got more help from the Tourism office barely a block down from the hotel.

In short, we would return to the Palais de la Mediterranee. It was beautiful and despite some bumps with the concierge desk and breakfast buffet, it wasn't enough to ruin our vacation!

Best hotel in the area

by TripAdvisor Member sox13

Having twice stayed at the Sheridan and once at the Le Meridian, this place was a breath of fresh air! (literally) We actually were staying at the Le Meridian when we walked past this hotel and decided to stop in. The hotel staff was kind enough to give a tour and let us peek into the rooms. We ran back over to the Le Meridian packed our bags and moved over to this one for just about the same price if you consider the breakfast is included and no fees for the fitness room or pool. I don't think this hotel is the greatest in the country... but it seems to be the best one by far for this area. All the hotels around here are old, smokey, and out dated.. which to some can be charming, but I like to have good air conditioning, comfy rooms, (like you can actually sit on a chair without worrying it will break because it is an antique) and lots of amenities like a decent fitness room. Its true... the pool area could be better and the shower doesn't match up the rest of the hotel (hand held shower head and water gets everywhere) but we were much more happier here than the Le Meridian. If we had to come back to Nice we would stay at the Palais de Mediterranee.

Palais de la MediterraneePalais de la Mediterranee

Palais de la Mediterranee, NicePalais de la Mediterranee, Nice

Nice hotels with a view of the sea

by Herkbert

Hi folks..

We will be visiting Nice for four nights from Sept 14 - 18. After much debate, we have decided that we would prefer to find a hotel with sea views - knowing that the price will be higher. We have thought about a couple places to stay so far - Le Perouse and Palais De La Mediterranee.

Could anyone help with an opinion on either of those hotels or make other suggestions. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks..

by nikkidish

Hi--I've never been to Nice, but when I read your question I was reminded of an article in Budget Travel about Secret Hotels of the French Riviera. I got out my issue and looked it up. Neither of the hotels they recommend in Nice say that they have ocean views (Hotel Windsor and Villa la Tour), but the one that is recommended in nearby Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat seems to have rooms with ocean views and is "around the corner from the prettiest beach." Don't know if this info helps, but I thought I would put it out there just in case.

by nikkidish

So sorry-I realized I didn't include the name of the hotel--it's Hotel Brise Marine.

by mrsmiller

Hi.

Hotel Windsor is right across the street from the beach, next to the Negresso.
I stayed there, my room had a large balcony so I could really enjoy the scene.
The room was large with a fabelous marble bathroom. You will not be dissapointed.

by Herkbert

Thanks for your input. After lots of research, we decided to book into the Hotel Suisse. It's right next door to the Hotel Perouse and has a great view of the sea and the city. The location seems to be perfect to visit the Old town too.

I'll let you know how it was when we return... Tom

Comments