30, avenue Auguste Verola, Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, 06200, France

The stones on Nice BeachThe stones on Nice Beach

Suggestions

by mejor_amigas

Hi All,

My sister and I will be travelling Spain, France and Italy for the much of the summer. We are young and very much enjoy the cities and night life. We also love the beaches, cafes and shopping. We are scheduled to fly into Barcelona at the end of june, rent an apartment for two weeks and travel by train along the coast to France. We are hoping to rent an apartment somewhere in between Bordeaux and Nice. We then will be taking the train to Rome or Napoli. We would love to stay on the beach, but we havent decided if we will stay in Rome, Napoli or somewhere between Napoli and Salerno. We don't want to travel much more south as we are scheduled to fly out of Rome. Now for my questions.. :)

- We are fluent in Spanish, my sister speaks some French and I know a lot of Italian so we have no limitations when it comes to language.

1. We have been reviewing the website Homeaway.com for rentals, we have selected a few and are ready to book but want to know if anyone has any better suggestions? We are on somewhat of a budget but we are flexible and would like to stay somewhere afforable. Are hostels a good idea? We are not into Resorts or any such.

2. Where are the best places to go in Barcelona for Beaches, Discos and Shopping?

3. We are trying to book our passes for the trains, which Rail is the best to travel with? What are peoples experience with travelling Europe by train? How long will it take from Barcelona to Nice? Nice to Rome?

3. What towns/ Cities can anyone suggest to visit or stay in the south of France?

4. Is it best to travel by train at night or day?

5. I've been to Rome and Napoli before, but cannot decide which is better for my Sister and I to stay at? Though we do want to be somewhat close to the beach but want to be close to the city to meet people, shop and dancing at night. Wouldnt mind going to Amalfi coast or as far south at Salerno. But what cities in Lazio/ Campania can anyone suggest to go visit?

Thanks

Questions questions!

Nice. Its the travel hub and will allow you to enjoy a vibrant city in itself with access to all the great places around the Riviera.

by mejor_amigas

Thank you..

Can you suggests any Bed and breakfasts or hotels? How are the beaches and nightlife?

I know so many questions.. lol

by NiceLife

There must be at least a thousand hotels in and around Nice. Without knowing your budget and your expectations, can't really make a sensible suggestion, but I have a few "picks" on my Nice page, if that helps

The beach at Nice itself is "galets" - flat stones - not everyone's cup of tea. The best sandy beaches require a short bus ride, to Villefranche, or a train to Antibes, or many others.

There are over a thousand restaurants in Nice, so there's bound to be something to suit your tastes and budget.

Pu your questions on Barcelona to that VT forum. Same goes for Italy

by KerryMack

You're probably younger than I am, but I've got some info about the different cities along the Mediterranean in Nice on my blog at www.kerrymacgregor.com and I've talked about a few places that are cool to check out at any age. Medieval towns, restaurants, beaches. I was new here, too, so hopefully my suggestions will help.

Have a great time. Sounds like an excellent trip.

Travel Tips for Nice

Caramelized nuts by the beach

by caribou_ire

eating nuts and drinking beer on the beach It was a warm Bastille day evening (?!?). Fireworks were exploding on the horizon. The eerie red moon was picturesquely glowing above the ocean. My 3 friends and I were sitting on Forum beach, enjoying a few cans of beer, remeniscing on the past week of adventure. We got hungry and so one of my pals splurged and got a litlle bag of caramelized nuts that were being made on the promenade, and they were delicious. Perhaps ridiculously overpriced, but delicious nonetheless.

Variations on the colour blue

by NiceLife

Not without reason called "the Cote d'Azur", feast your eyes on the colour blue and its variations.

Missing right now are the famous blue chairs. Too many disappeared as a souvenir into the back of a visiting camper van.

They have been promised to return, but right now, very un-Nicelike white benches have taken their place.

It's twelve o'clock...BOOM!

by ange_famine

You may have noticed, if you've been near the Vieux-Nice around lunch time, that there's an explosion at noon, from the Chateau Hill.
DO NOT panic! It all goes back to the 1860s, when Sir Thomas Coventry, eager to remind his distractful wife of lunch hour, asked the then mayor Malaussena if he could fire a canon ball from the hill every day at noon to remind her to come to the table...
Tradition has kept it ever since (though it is no more a canon ball that is used but a piece of firework).

Oh, to be torn 'twixt love an' duty.
S'posin' I lose my fair-haired beauty.
Look at that big hand move along,
Nearing high noon.
Frankie Laine - "High Noon"

Escape to the perched village

by scanos

Touet sur Var is within an hours train journey from Nice. It's a wonderous place to village to marvel at structures hugging the cliffs. The inhabitants are incredibly friendly. However, the most amazing thing is that there is a well marked path which you can take right into the mountains up a seemingly impossible cliff. The views down the Gorges du Cians, in the Roudoule valley, are breathtaking. The other amazing thing is the train journey on the Chemins de fer en Provence line. The station is situated some 300 metres to the north of the main SNCF in Nice.

St. Paul-de-Vence

by keeweechic

Just a gorgeous medieval fortified village perched on a narrow spur between two deep valleys. Its location gives you a great view of the village from the La Colle road to the east or the Cagnes-Vence road to the west. Although the village itself is one of the most intact medieval examples of the region, with much of the ramparts still there, it's hard to see anything inside the village except other tourists. 'Off season', the village is full of tourists.

Comments