Domaine de Terre Blanche, Tourrette, 83440, France

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Four Seasons Resort Provence at Terre Blanche

Packing List

by ThaiAnn

Okay, I'm a latecomer in fashion, more of a practical, all-gadgetry girl, so just pick and choose what you like from my advice and I won't be offended! For Wales, hiking gear. Timberland-type boots and wax jackets with hoods cos it can be gustly and damp and drenched is a fact of life. If you are blessed with God's favour, you'll find that when the Sun shines in the places you visit, England and Wales are one of the most beautiful places in the World... But with relatively mild weather (compared to some of the extreme places in the world), you are guaranteed that the temperatures won't range much beyond the -3 (around 27 Farenheit) and 35 celsius (around 95 F). I have found that under the Sun in chilly weather fleeces are the best, and under the rain the Barbour-type coats work the best...though I have seen a lot of travellers in colourful, but massive wind-proof coats. Always layer your clothes at least a few layers, cos the weather in the British Isles can be four seasons a day, one minute it shines, then clouds and sudden drop in temperature, you are hit with gustly winds and rain, then tiny hails hit you a few times a year, then it all clears up and all is bright again. Typical scene? Think gloomy and drizzles.

For England, more fashionable materials can be worn, not least because there're a lot more buildings and roofs to shield you from the gustly winds (and frequent rain). Hooded rain-proof, wind-proof coats are highly recommended. British men wear leather shoes more than their Thai counterparts, and trainers are sometimes a deterrent from entering fashionable hangouts at night. Pocket Tissues, toilet wipes (if you have those sorts of things). Hand gel that cleans your hands without water comes in handy though you may find that over the top. Generally Britain is quite organised and well-stocked. If you need anything like that go to Boots or Superdrugs (a cheaper counterpart that sells more household product range like potnoodles and washing-up liquid that Boots don't). Bring your own faceclothes/towels/ soap/shampoo/lotion/conditioner/toothbrush/toothpaste and other private toiletries as things are very expensive in Britain. Keep them practical and light. Try adventure shops as they have paper-thin bodytowels and incredible things you'll find useful like a glasses-repair kit, torch keyrings, and stuff like that if you're anything like me. No idea on this one. Looking at nice photos is my current hobby, sorry can't be of instant help but can ask my friends who are into those... Okay, I'll let you know more about that once the foot-and-mouth has been eradicated and I have completed my outdoor survival skill course at Brecon Beacons... I'm sure other backpackers will be more helpful to you, so do make use of them in the mean time. Generally the foot-and-mouth epidemic has not been in full control as yet so go to the seasides instead. Adaptor for 220, and into three-legged plug, get them at luggage shops (or) at the airports...
Loads of batteries, AAA, and AA (I find I use up AA battery most often!) and personal cassette player, though my most useful little number is a personal radio that you can jog with...nice...

beautiful resort, amazing service as always

by TripAdvisor Member enchantedemma

we just returned from 4 days at the four seasons in provence. the hotel is located in a somewhat secluded area, clearly out of the mainstream of "typical" Cote D'Azur. but if you're looking for luxurious peace and quiet, tranquil surroundings with gorgeous views amidst some quaint provencal villages, then this is the place for you. its about a 40 min drive from Nice, but spending a day among the little villages, shopping at the local market, and dining at various family owned restaurants was just as fun and unique.
the hotel's amenities were top notch as you would expect from any four seasons. the rooms (or rather suites) are very large, modern and comfortable. the staff is all extremely helpful and caters to your every whim. our concierge was also amazing as he went well out of his way to track down some unique candy we were looking for.
the hotel's restaurants were very good, although perhaps not as "true" european as one might expect. it was clearly obvious that they were trying to anticipate the needs of American guests (with iced tea and hamburgers on the menus...).

Great Resort with fantastic food and service!

by TripAdvisor Member NYC10001

Recenlty returned from a 7 night stay at the beautiful Four Seasons Resort in Provence. I was surprised by the previous review which is exactly the opposite of my experience! We found the accomodations to be perfect. The bathrooms and amenities were your standard Four Seasons, and by that I mean exceptional! We loved the huge terrace with two lounge chairs and table for two. During our stay the grill by the pool was closed but we loved our meals in the main hotel. Service was definetly the high point of this resort. It was excellent yet not intrusive, something I have come to appreciate at Four Seasons hotels. We really enjoyed the service by the pool which included Evian spritzes, cold towels and fresh fruit. It was a really nice touch! The only problem we could see is that the hotel is located on a hill and it can be a difficult walk up to the main hotel if your suite is far down the hill. However there are always golf carts available to take you up to the pool or main hotel if you arrange for it. Before you book you should make sure that you want a secluded hotel because it is about 30 minutes outside of Cannes. We loved the location because you could visit the beautiful medieval villages by the resort or go into the larger cities within an hour. We went to St. Tropez, Cannes, Monaco and Nice on our visit and found the drive wasn't bad and the concierge was very helpful by providing us with directions, attractions and great places to eat in each city. One final note is the price. Yes it costs 18 Euros for a drink by the pool and if that is an issue to you then you should book at a less expensive hotel.

very nice but pricey

by TripAdvisor Member leiceterboy

We spent 7 days at the resort with a small (2yr old) child. Lovely rooms with enough space to put the child to bed early and live in the other rooms of the suite. The resort is in a very beautiful part of the world with Tourrettes and Feyonce having lovely views and great markets. You will need a car as there is no real way to get around other than by this route.

The baby loved the kids pool and when we went the place was practiclally deserted so she had the run of the place. It certainly is not overcrowded. Having said that, other than the pool there is very little for the little ones to do and not much space to run around other than in the 'trendy' hotel itself with the usual scornful looks from armani clad 'matrix' style people.

On the negative side- and I guess we should accept this is you go to a four seasons - everything is extremely pricey. Breakfast in the restaurant - 50 eur, round of golf 140 eur, plate of spaghetti bolognaise - eur 25. But I guess if you are prepared for this it should come as no surprise.

All in all - a nice place to spend a few days if you like golf but i don't recommend it for a whole week.

High Standards

by TripAdvisor Member EINYC

Having read a number of the reviews I think some were unfair and untrue.

We have stayed in a fair few 5* Plus hotels and this ranks up there with the best in terms of quality.

The setting is faultless, beautiful, easy to get to but secluded. Slight disruption at present as the Spa being built.

The actual hotel is typical Four Seasons, nicely finished but a bit "american" and non individual. The rooms while very pleasant were a bit too sterile, furniture could have come from MFI, nasty lime wood veneer but in offensive. Bathrooms as always are lovely, beds very comfortable.

The main restaurant was very good, I would go as far to say it was the best meal I have ever had, very nice indeed.

The terrace restaurant is a bit uninspiring but fine for a quick meal.

Pool is great, staff are friendly, for a three day stay its lovely, just perfect.

Usual 5* comedy prices for valet parking, a beer, anything they can rip you off on they do but hey.

You won't be dissappointed.

Very, very good

by TripAdvisor Member RJB

FS Provence is about a 45 minute drive from Nice airport. You hit the motorway immediately and, 45km later, you exit in the countryside on mainly empty roads. The directions on the FS website are good enough to get you there. FS occupies the south side of a valley, facing north. On the opposite side are a number of beautiful medieval villages, including Feyance, Tourettes and Callion. These all have excellent restaurants where you can get a great meal for around Euro 100 for two. The perfume town of Grasse is also within 30 mins drive, where you can take a free tour of two perfumeries.

The FS is laid out like a small village. There are no rooms, only suites and villas, and even the suites are in villa-sized blocks of 2-3. The lobby, restaurant and pool area (a lovely infinity pool, a kiddies pool and a whirlpool) are at the top of the hill whilst the villas are laid out below you in four arcs. At the bottom of the hill is the golf clubhouse / boutique / café and the two golf courses. A massive spa is under construction (behind reception, so no construction noise in your room) but at present spa treatments and gym equipment are available in two converted villas.

Our villa was furnished in a simple French style. The bathrooms are astoundingly good – a shower that could take six people, separate loo, roll-top bath, two sinks, heated floor. There was also a second bathroom with a loo and shower. The rest of the villa was well furnished, but not OTT. The difference between the Premier, Deluxe and Superior suites and villas was never clear. It could just be the distance from the main building – our villa was a good five minute uphill walk to the restaurant and pool, albeit we were close to the clubhouse. They will drive you around in golf buggies if you ring for a pick up.

There is a fine dining restaurant (one Michelin star, Euro 250 for two for the meal we had, with not much wine). Next door is a more casual lounge area with a cheaper menu (Euro 76 for a lunch). The clubhouse serves the cheapest food. Breakfast is laughably expensive at Euro 38 per head for the buffet – get a B&B package. Service is as good as you would expect. All staff speak English – indeed, some are English, including some of the maids. This is also the most child friendly place I have ever stayed (there is a kids club, kids pool and kids get there own breakfast buffet!) but, because it is so vast, it does not feel overrun.

Was it 100% perfect? No – the breakfast buffet could be better and service on Easter Sunday was a bit wobbly. Room cleaning was also erratic – one day they arrived at 9am before we had gone to breakfast, the next it was post-3pm. But these are not big issues. Overall, I highly recommend the FS and, if you've got the cash, you'll enjoy it.

Easy To Do Better

I'm with the Ferrari guy...

What separates a FS from the rest, is that when you are booked in to a suite, there is no place you'd rather be. This was not true as the FS Provence.

Positives
1) Room Service presentatation
2) Good English skills.
3) Great pool area.
4) Private and Quiet.

Negatives
1) Rooms are small - 60 sqm includes the 15 sqm terrace.
2) Spa is a converted hotel room with higher pricing to compensate.
3) Golf cart to valet parking is a hassle.
4) 20th century AV: bad TVs and no wireless?
5) Arrogant staff: always made you feel like they were doing you a favor.
6) Insult pricing: 18e for a cocktail at the pool?
7) Mosquitos
8) Inconvenient location for exploring Provence

My advice is to research a little deeper to find bigger suites for 500e along with at least a one star. It's not the FS you expect, especially if you're of the means to spash out for a nice place for a hard-earned few days.

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member TripReviewerNY

I highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking to get away to a beautiful place with incredible service. We were upgraded when we arrived and the hotel was incredibly helpful about recommending activities in the region, making reservations and other arrangements. This was definitely one of my favorite hotel experiences because of the level of service--every person we met (from the pool staff, to the waiters, to the concierges) was extremely hospitable, and they bend over backwards to make your stay as great as possible. The restaurants were impressive (especially Faventia), although your options are fairly limited as we found there were usually only two options open per meal (other than room service) since we were there in the low season. The new spa looks like it will be incredible when it is finished, but we found the spa and gym to be more than adequate during the interim. WARNING: This hotel is expensive (as in 30 euros for a cheeseburger)--but in our opinion, definitely worth it. Its also probably not the best place for someone who is looking for an exclusively French experience--most of the hotel staff spoke to us in English, even though we addressed them in French.

Bliss

by TripAdvisor Member trjeannette

Up to the usual FS standards in every respect. The gastronomic restaurant was superb, the concierge moved heaven and earth for us, and the pool staff attentive. One of the highlights -- ordering room service for your private patio, and thus having a special meal for two overlooking the nearby medieval villages. The designers of the grounds really succeeded in conforming the FS to its surroundings. You have all the luxury of a 5 star resort, but it still feels like Provence. I simply can't say enough good things about our experience here.

A special note -- we were traveling with a three-month old infant and it was still stressfree. They had some amazing babysitters -- one of whom we would have hired as our permanent nanny had she been interested in coming back to NY with us, we loved her that much. And they supplied us with all the baby products we could need.

The only nit I have is that the spa is, well, not a spa. It's really a hotel room converted into a treatment area. But the new spa was under construction when we there, and promises to be amazing. I envy all who will get to experience it firsthand.

Top class hotel though somewhat lacking in character

We were greeted at reception and shown around. Our suite was not ready, but nor did we expect it to be.
The hotel is spead over a considerable area. Golf buggies are used by the porters for transport and they also give guests a lift when needed. I would say those who would like the hotel best would undoubtedly be golfers, who are well provided for. All the staff were extremely courteous.
We had a pleasant, if expensive, lunch at the pool. My beef was well done (I asked for rare), a mistake which surprised me for a hotel of this calibre.
Accomodation was spacious, clean(new), and with a nice patio.
We tried to book massages, but were told there were only 3 therapists who were all fully booked. This didn't seem enough for the size of hotel, but in its defence it has only just opened.
They have a nice infinity pool, and decor throughout is very good.
Breakfasts were relaxed and with a good choice.
I guess this hotel is what you would expect- good quality, good service, expensive but good accomodation. What it lacks is the character of Provence- I felt I could be anywhere.
I wouldn't return, but I would recommend it to a couple where, for example one partner plays golf and the other enjoys the poolside.

Snow not ski!!

by pjfx

Hi there
My partner wants snow!! I want some luxury.... any ideas for a non skiing holiday within 3 hours flying from south West of England?
We basically just want to make snowmen, have snowball fights, have a relaxing time and eat well.
Aim to go sometime late Jan early Feb..... oh and cheap if poss!!
Many thanks in advance
Pj

by PaulKirk

Join the club! We go to Garmisch in Bavaria every year for that reason. Whilst it is a ski resort there are plenty of other activities and walking the mountain trails is wonderful. I've posted a few tips but the great thing is there is plenty of snow and areas you can safely play in it away from the ski slopes. Get a flight to Munich and it's about 45 minutes to the main station then about 75 minutes by train. Check the Garmisch website for more information and links to a wide range of accomodation. I nearly forgot! The beer's wonderful too. The food is fine and is a good accompaniment to a few beers.

by funzsolo

i highly recommend the four seasons snowman resort in brussels.

by dlawrence

Uludag (Turkey) will suit perfectly to you guys. you can ask for some more details from www.sisantours.com

RE: RE: Snow not ski!!

by pjfx

sorry guys but neither the 4 seasons snowman hotel came up in any searches which is a shame cos that would be easy to get to. Turkey unfortunatly is a bit far and Germany is an option to work on.
many thanx tho will keep on looking!!
Pj

by delcity

have you looked into some place in germany near berlin or one of towns south of there near the border with czech republic.

RE: RE: Snow not ski!!

by delcity

try putting your post in the germany forum

Prague or Budapest?

by sophia168

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this July in celebration of our 27th wedding anniversary.

We've been to most of the popular destinations, but this is our first to Budapest and Prague.
We were going to spend 4 days each in Budapest & Prague, but now our flights have changed, and we have an extra day. Can't decide whether to spend it in Budapest or Prague? Any suggestions?

No particular preference, since we have no idea. Love cultural explorations, art and antique shopping.

Would appreciate any comments/tips.
p.s. We're staying at the Four Seasons in both locations.

by Maurizioago

I suggest to spend the extra day in Prague. There is lots to see there.

Write to me if you like some info about Prague.

Ciao!

by ThiagoRamos

Hi!!!
Both cities are wonderful and you can´t go wrong with any of them.
I think most people would say "Prague". I prefer Budapest. You can also use the extra day to visit a nearby city, like Eger, which I strongly recommend.
Have a nice trip!!!
Thiago

by sophia168

Thank you both, Maurizioago & Thalgo! Now I'm really confused. Think I'll lurk around some more to see if others will post more comments.
In the meantime, can either of you direct me to a site where I can find a good "to do" list in these locations? We're into night-life.
Was going to go get books, but who needs books when we have you?
Thanks a million!
Sophia

by sophia168

OOps, sorry! I meant... we're NOT into night-life.

by Maurizioago

Have a look at "www.livingprague.com".

by rexvaughan

I would personally choose Prague but you can't go wrong either place. There are lots of nice day trips you can take from either. Kutna Hora is about an hour from Prague and well worth a visit. Szentendre is similar distance from Budapest and a nice place as well.

by sihi

But I prefer and recomend Krakow!:)

by St_Vincent

I think you will be surprised how alike the two cities are. If I had to choose I would say spend the extra day in Budapest, it is a bit less commercialised than Prague.

Comments