Chemin de la Planche Brulee , Ferney-Voltaire, 01210, France
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Ferney-Voltaire

Arrivée à l'Aéroport international de GenèveArrivée à l'Aéroport international de Genève

The hotel's outdoor poolThe hotel's outdoor pool

Travel Tips for Ferney-Voltaire

Little history...

by Klod5

Ferney (initialement "Pernex") a pris le nom de Ferney-Voltaire à partir de 1878) en hommage à Voltaire qui y séjourna à partir de 1759 pour sa proximité de la frontière, en cas de problème avec l'administration royale, et de Genève, ville de son rival, Rousseau. À son arrivée, le hameau comptait à peine une centaine d'âmes. Voltaire fit assainir les zones marécageuses, construire de nombreuses maisons, invitant des artisans — horlogers, tisserands — à s'y implanter, un château et une chapelle. Il n'est pas exagéré d'écrire que Ferney serait restée un petit village sans l'activité du « Patriarche » qui l'a fait entrer dans l'histoire. À sa mort en 1778, Ferney comptait près de 1 000 habitants. Ferney (initially " Pernex ") took the name of Ferney-Voltaire from 1878) in homage to Voltaire that stayed there from 1759 for its proximity of the border, in case of problem with the royal administration, and of Geneva, city of his rival, Rousseau. To his arrival, the hamlet hardly counted about hundred souls. Voltaire had the swampy zones, to construct numerous houses, inviting some craftsmen purified—watchmakers, weavers—to implant itself of it, a castle and a chapel. It is not exaggerated to write that Ferney would have remained a small village without the activity of him «Patriarch» that made it enter in history. To his death in 1778, Ferney counted close to 1 000 inhabitants.

My Ferney Voltaire

by Toshioohsako

"A fountain where people gather"

Ferney Voltaire is a Geneva's neighbor French town. The bus F from Geneva takes you here in 20 minutes. It is only ten minutes taxi ride from the airport of Geneva. I lived here for several years when I was working in Geneva in 1999s. Its a peaceful and cozy town and many people get to know each other. I drove and crossed the Swiss-France border at least two times daily and the custom officers became friends. I just wave them and said hello and crossed the border. I had a diplomatic license plate on my car and that helped. I liked this village and people living here. I could see the pinkish Mont Blanc and other Alps mountains towering in the blue sky from my apartment balcony on a clear sky day. On the back side of my apartment was a close up of Jura mountain. It was very nice to live with a view of beautiful mountains on both sides of my residence. Perhaps, my love for mountains grew strong by this experience.

Felney-Voltaire is my another hometown and I visit this town 2-3 times a year when I come to Geneva. I have a few friends who still live here.

"Grand Rue"

This is the biggest street in Ferney Voltaire where some interesting shops and restaurants are located. On week-ends, people come here and chat over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. The population of this town is very international as many people who live here are working for international organizations in Geneva. In 1990s, it was cheaper to live here than in Geneva but I hear that more people now live in Geneva because the gap of the house or apartment price between the two cities is not so much different now.

"Philosopher-Voltaire"

The town is named after this philosopher who influenced the intellectual base of the French Revolution. He had also a rich woman patron in Geneva. No wonder he lived here. His statue stands in the middle of the town.

What is he reflecting about on this beautiful autumn day?

Comments