Avy Residence Hoteliere

Place BellecourtPlace Bellecourt

Théâtre antique de FourvièreThéâtre antique de Fourvière

Getting to La Chapelle

Hello all,
I've posted this question 4 days ago in the Grenoble forum.
I don't see any traffic there so i am trying this forum as well. :)

I plan to trek in the Les Ecrins and the Vanoise national parks in august.
my starting point is the town of La Chapelle (according to my map is near St. Firmin). the trek will end in Bourg St. Maurice.

After searching the net, i still have some open questions about getting in and out.
as i read, i have a couple of ways to get to La Chapelle and i need your help choosing between them.
1. The first option is flying to Lyon, take the Satobus to the city and from there the train to Grenoble.
2. The second option is flying to Geneva, take some bus (which?) to the train station and then the train to Grenoble.
which way is the fastest?(i want to get to La Chapelle in the same day)

The way from Grenoble to La Chapelle is very unclear to me. i know i have to take the bus to Gap and go down in St. Firmin and take another bus to La Chapelle. but i didn't find anywehere on the internet information regarding the bus timetables and fares. i really need your help on this one.

Thank you very much!
Moshe.

by psychotictree

I recommend going through Geneva mostly because the shuttle between the airport and the train station is much easier to find and cheaper. (2euros vs 8 or 9) Grenoble is sort of cushioned between the two cities.

by sambusak

Thank you for your replay.

I think i'll take your advise and fly to Geneva.
do you have any information regarding my second question (getting from Grenoble to La Chapelle)?

by psychotictree

Do you read French? 'Cause that would be super helpful once you get here.

I've never been, but I looked up the park you mentioned on Google, and the website mentions several ways to get to the park.

In case you don't, there doesn't seem to have a regular bus service to La Chapelle, and from my experience of French countryside this isn't unusual. Since you're there in August, there might be some buses run by private companies on very limited schedules (1/day). I'd suggest staying a night in Grenoble when you get there and ask the local tourism offices to see if they can find you something. There's also a couple of phone numbers listed on the website that might be able to help.

Good luck and happy trekking!

I'm not speaking french.
i found the email adrress of the french tourism office in grenoble and sent them this question. still waiting for an answer.
Thank you very much again for all your help.

Travel Tips for Lyon

2 cloves garlic
salt
thyme
parsley
breadcrumbs soaked in a bowl of milk
3 eggs
12 tomatoes

Put a bit of oil in a pan. Cook sausage together with finely chopped onions. Salt and flavour with thyme. Add crushed garlic, finely chopped parsley, and breacrumbs soaked in the milk bowl. Remove pan from heat and mix with 3 eggs. Fill tomatoes with this stuffing and cook on high heat for 1/2 hour.

Gastronomic's heaven

by ericchen

There're so many good restaurants that you won't miss around the town center (Bellicore). Especially there're two dense restaurant areas I know. Check if the restaurant has English menu (if you have limited knowledge of French...). I tried wild mushrooms and duck... I can't wait visit there again! Wild Mushrooms
Duck Confit
House red wine (half bottle)
Selections of cheese
Desert wine
Coffee

Basilica of Fourviere

by Yso

The Basilica of Fourviere is perched on a hill above the old town. The best way to get up there is take take the Funicular railway from teh Vieux Lyon metro station. The view from the top is fantastic, you can then walk bck down to the old town through the gardens (about 20 minute walk, all downhill!)

We Visited the Maison des Avocats First

by hquittner

On leaving the Place St.-Jean we headed north and came to the first of the tall buildings, all at least four stories high, and approached the Maison des Avocats from the rue Bombarde. The building was built in the mid-16C and is 5 stories high. Several similar structures closed it in but left inner court yards. The three lower levels had open galeries. Adjacent was another similar building with inner courtyard. From the courtyard we traversed a passageway under the buildings called a traboule and after coming out we walked on to the corner of rue de Boeuf and Neuve St.-Jean where on the wall is a very old quasi-statue of a bull.

C'est Fantastique

by dejavu2gb

"In the beginning..."

We had a quick encounter by spending one fantastic day visiting France's 2nd biggest city, and what an encounter it turned out to be. I never normally go into so much detail about my trip, but as this one is different I will share our experience with you.

Without a doubt one of the most stressful and at the same time most hilarous trips we had been on, one of those where everything goes wrong, and when you think that nothing else can go wrong...it does!
I will tell the story briefly because its quite funny when I think back about what happened.

"So the journey commences"

The intention of our trip was to attend a wedding in the Auvergne region of France, St Agathe to be precise, which is close to Thier.

Anyway, we had a very early flight, if my memory serves me correct it was aroud 9:20am. So we set off for the airport at around 6am leaving 3 hours, giving us plenty of time as the journey is always about 40 minutes to Heathrow.
On our way to the airport we got stuck in a very bad traffic jam in the M4 caused by an earlier accident.
Then to make it worse we were diverted through Slough, sitting in very bad traffic and 9:20am moving closer and closer.
If it was not for a kind lady showing the bus driver a short cut, we would never have made it to the airport on time.

Making a long story short we get to the airport at around 0900, about 20 minutes before our flight leaves!!!

We only JUST made the flight, thanks to pleading and a very helpful BA check in agent. We arrived in Lyon to be told that our bags were left in London. Promised that we will have our bags the afternoon we only received them about 27 hours later!!!

The drive to the venue went okay, I did it in the expected 2 hours very nervous to be driving on the wrong side of the road, but that went without incident. Then on the map the hotel we were staying in looked very easy to find, it took us no less than 4 and a half hours to find when it should have taken about 45 seconds from the turn off!!! So almost 7 hours later we arrive at the hotel, and were greatful to have found it. I smile at my friend and say, we are here, nothing else can go wrong....

I was wrong.. upon check in, they did not have our reservation which I confirmed twice and booked 6 months prior!!
Fortunately my friend offered us a bed for the night. So on the way to his house we got lost again, should have taken us about 15 minutes to get there but as it was small country lanes with no signage it took us just over an hour and a half!

So eventually after about 10 hours setting off from Lyon we arrived very tired, but in good humour because as things were going wrong we just could do nothing but laugh at the bad luck we were having.
So after a few glasses of delicious red wine, all was fine and we enjoyed the rest of the trip.

"So with the fiasco aside..."

As apart for the total fiasco we went through I have to say that Lyon is a very lovely city with quite a lot to see and do.
For you sun seekers out there, I would suggest going there in summer, because it gets hot hot hot.
Good shopping and lovely restaurants. Take a stroll along the river and just take in the atmosphere.
There is fantastic architecture, so take lots of film with and happy snapping!

Comments